Suns hire Frank Vogel as next head coach

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
oh oh looks like feelings were hurt bringing up Devin Booker and his actual STATS.

Oops sorry won’t happen again
You mean actual stats like 33.7 PPG on 68% true shooting? Yeah real empty calories. Probably would have lost to the hapless Clippers if not for his insane scoring display or been swept by the Nuggets.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You mean actual stats like 33.7 PPG on 68% true shooting? Yeah real empty calories. Probably would have lost to the hapless Clippers if not for his insane scoring display.

No I mean like 14ppg on 30% shooting in elimination games, I mean being the best player on a team that blew a 2-0 lead in the finals losing 4 straight. I mean being the best player on a team that blew a 2-0 lead in the second round last year and being down almost 50 in a game 7. Being the best player on a team that was down 30 at half time again in an elimination game.

But sorry won’t bring up games when the pressure is the highest ever again.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You mean actual stats like 33.7 PPG on 68% true shooting? Yeah real empty calories. Probably would have lost to the hapless Clippers if not for his insane scoring display or been swept by the Nuggets.

“Actual” sorry I didn’t know the ones I had were fake. My bad

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I disagree with James Jones when he said the Suns had "enough" on their bench the past two seasons.

The Suns didn't even have a fifth starter this past season.

See the comment at the 29:00 mark of the press conference video today.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
The Suns hands are financially tied. Not shocking he said something like this but the reality is if we don't deepen this bench we are screwed. The feels like James Jones covering his own "A". If this is what James really thinks? He might be following Monty by the end of the season.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns hands are financially tied. Not shocking he said something like this but the reality is if we don't deepen this bench we are screwed. The feels like James Jones covering his own "A". If this is what James really thinks? He might be following Monty by the end of the season.

If there is no backup plan to add quality depth to the team, the Suns are indeed in trouble.

I keep looking for an Orphan Annie Decoder Ring to figure it out.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I think part of the stress is most fans are looking at filling 13 spots behind Booker and KD. Most teams shorten their benches in the playoffs. So we are looking at 4-5 players that will matter at the end of the year. IF, and I don't know why we haven't used them in prior years, we use our exceptions to fill two of those roles, now we are looking at 2-3 players, and I haven't even included DA or CP3 in this roster build out. If you look at it this way, the building of the Suns becomes a lot more possible.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The problem as I see is that we need 2 starting players at PG and F/C in addition to a more reliable bench.
I think we need true starter level players at the 1, the 3 and the 5 plus a good backup 1, a good backup 2 and a good backup 4. Ayton could possibly fill the starter quality 5 and CP3 (with a lot of luck) could possibly fill the quality backup 1 but regardless, we appear to have more needs than feasible options.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Booker being empty calories in the same discussion as Ayton being anything more than that is a head scratcher.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Booker being empty calories in the same discussion as Ayton being anything more than that is a head scratcher.

Don’t worry. Supposedly if Ayton gets traded then the board won’t argue anymore.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Don’t worry. Supposedly if Ayton gets traded then the board won’t argue anymore.
IDK, Seems like Booker is the new boogie man since he's just an empty points scorer and we can never win a championship with him here. If that is the case, then why even follow the Suns? Why bother wasting your time posting about them at all? :shrug:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Frank Vogel's coaching staff is official.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know people have described Vogel as a positive reinforcement type of coach but I'm curious if he's the type to get into it with refs on behalf of his players. Anyone have info on how many T's he's received or if he's been tossed?

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
Frank Vogel's coaching staff is official.

Interesting... no Mark Bryant in there, even though I haven't heard anything official about him leaving or being let go. His Wikipedia page even still lists him as a Suns assistant.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting... no Mark Bryant in there, even though I haven't heard anything official about him leaving or being let go. His Wikipedia page even still lists him as a Suns assistant.

There was something about him going with Monty to Detroit. I haven't seen anything official but since he's no longer listed as part of the Suns staff by the Suns, I expect him to end up in Detroit.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I know people have described Vogel as a positive reinforcement type of coach but I'm curious if he's the type to get into it with refs on behalf of his players. Anyone have info on how many T's he's received or if he's been tossed?
This is from 8 years ago, but apparently he was leading all coaches in techs at the time of this article.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

He has a lot of passion while coaching. He gets in there more than once in while.

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He has a lot of passion while coaching. He gets in there more than once in while.
Can’t wait, love that will no longer be seeing Monty just sitting there doing nothing 99% of the time! I like seeing coaches into the games and have some damn emotion, would imagine the players like that as well as the coach having their backs!

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Can’t wait, love that will no longer be seeing Monty just sitting there doing nothing 99% of the time! I like seeing coaches into the games and have some damn emotion, would imagine the players like that as well as the coach having their backs!

Its funny because they're grown men, and how another grown man can get you fired up about playing a game. So weird if you think about it.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Its funny because they're grown men, and how another grown man can get you fired up about playing a game. So weird if you think about it.
Not really so weird if you think about the emotional ups and downs of this message board filled with grown men and women. And we skew much older than a sports team would so presumably we'd be even more mature than the 18 to 38 year olds that play in the NBA.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Not really so weird if you think about the emotional ups and downs of this message board filled with grown men and women. And we skew much older than a sports team would so presumably we'd be even more mature than the 18 to 38 year olds that play in the NBA.

We need an coach here

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose