Suns hire Frank Vogel as next head coach

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
Vogel still ran 5G last night without Gordon available so instead he put Okogie in with our (Nurkless) big 4 during the second quarter and we all saw what happened

Vogel is recognizing what has and hasn't worked in our short history together - like if the other team is quicker and kicking our ass on fast breaks - pull the Center altogether - KD can handle the position in fast paced scenarios

But again - don't knock Nurk because we're successful matching team's speeds - Nurk has played the most games - has the biggest +/- and Nurk will be crazy valuable against slower half court championship basketball teams

But back to Vogel - Beal has made an immediate impact upon his return no doubt but it's Vogel deciding when and where - and Vogel seems to do things a little differently

Like if Beal goes off to start the game most coaches would leave him in, yes? Not Vogel, to Vogel it means he can rest Beal and have him and his high tempo run with the bench boys - but if Book starts off hot he's gonna stay in

I guess I get it? Gotta have the all star start of course but since Beal can be a one man show any time he chooses to - or should I say anytime Vogel needs him to?

Last edited:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Vogel still ran 5G last night without Gordon available so instead he put Okogie in with our (Nurkless) big 4 during the second quarter and we all saw what happened

Vogel is recognizing what has and hasn't worked in our short history together - like if the other team is quicker and kicking our ass on fast breaks - pull the Center altogether - KD can handle the position in fast paced scenarios

But again - don't knock Nurk because we're successful matching team's speeds - Nurk has played the most games - has the biggest +/- and Nurk will be crazy valuable against slower half court championship basketball teams

But back to Vogel - Beal has made an immediate impact upon his return no doubt but it's Vogel deciding when and where - and Vogel seems to do things a little differently

Like if Beal goes off to start the game most coaches would leave him in, yes? Not Vogel, to Vogel it means he can rest Beal and have him and his high tempo run with the bench boys

I guess I get it? Gotta have the all star start of course but since Beal can be a one man show any time he chooses to - or should I say anytime Vogel needs him to?
I'm really curious to compare the death lineup with Okogie vs with Gordon. Based on what we've seen so far, I'd say the lineup with JO has the slight edge, considering both guys are pretty much equal lately in the amount of offense they bring. The EG lineup has more gravity, but the JO lineup has more defense.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I'm really curious to compare the death lineup with Okogie vs with Gordon. Based on what we've seen so far, I'd say the lineup with JO has the slight edge, considering both guys are pretty much equal lately in the amount of offense they bring. The EG lineup has more gravity, but the JO lineup has more defense.
Probably has a lot to do with the opposing lineup. If we are facing a lineup that is more geared towards defense than EG is probably best and a lineup that is more geared towards offense JO will probably be better.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
This is looking like a much better hire as the season progresses. There are some coaches in the league that may have gotten more out of this team earlier on, but he has stuck to his guns, continued to search for the right lineups and it is paying off now.

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
I don't know if the players like it as much, but I do like how Vogel is tinkering around the edges of the lineup, trying different combos with the core 6 (Nurk, KD, Beal, Book, Allen, Gordon). KBD and Okogie are the beneficiaries right now, but Drew, Metu and Bol have come up big in recent games too.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know if the players like it as much, but I do like how Vogel is tinkering around the edges of the lineup, trying different combos with the core 6 (Nurk, KD, Beal, Book, Allen, Gordon). KBD and Okogie are the beneficiaries right now, but Drew, Metu and Bol have come up big in recent games too.

I'm not sure if Vogel is tinkering or some nights he has trouble finding the answer.

I'd like to have 2-3 solid rotation players.

Last edited:

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This is looking like a much better hire as the season progresses. There are some coaches in the league that may have gotten more out of this team earlier on, but he has stuck to his guns, continued to search for the right lineups and it is paying off now.

Many were saying that Vogel chose to explore this route while the big 3 was out of sorts. To see which guys and lineups provided what exactly. Maybe there were analytics going on too to see who/what are contributing factors. I say this because many of us thought KBD was the sure starter, but he was out early in the season and we wondered why. Now that the big 3 is together, we see him playing with them more in the 4th quarter more than any other bench guy, or maybe i'm just imagining things.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
Since most of us have blinders on, I don't think it should be a surprise to say that most teams, even contenders, have the same problem.
And if Vogel hadn’t tinkered with the lineup, we might not have discovered how useful Bol can be. Early season is the time to do it. Solidify the lineups in the 2nd half of the season.

clyde2tw

Veteran
Reaction score
Vogel adjusts in game, and he has prepared the team for that. That's the main difference to Monty.
We now see much more continual motion offense instead of earlier's passing to KD/Book/Beal to go 1on1. The latter is easier to defend when every opposing player knows their exact place on defense, like when Caruso or Nesmith physically covered KD. It's now really a pick your poison situation with defense constantly rattled. In this scenairo, Okogie via moving and setting screens and cutting can be a positive on offense too.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score

Like if Beal goes off to start the game most coaches would leave him in, yes? Not Vogel, to Vogel it means he can rest Beal and have him and his high tempo run with the bench boys - but if Book starts off hot he's gonna stay in

Plus we ARE desperate for second team points. Beal against another team's second unit should be gold for us.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I don't think anyone is knocking Nurkic. The Suns knew his limitations when they traded for him. However, this doesn't mean they shouldn't seek depth when the matchups are not favorable.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I don't think anyone is knocking Nurkic. The Suns knew his limitations when they traded for him. However, this doesn't mean they shouldn't seek depth when the matchups are not favorable.
Nurkic has held his own against the bigger centers that are not leapers. He has the stoutness to not let guys bully ball him. Taller guys that can jump and play the lob/dunk game have been his weakness. We need someone that can match up with these type of guys that actually boxes out for rebounds. I don't even think it has to be a three and D guy if the guy can board and play defense.