Suns @ Grizzlies Monday game thread 1-18-21

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
welcome to the club, buddy!

also, did you pay for the entire league pass? There’s an option just to pay for the Suns games for 120.

I streamed the much cheaper single team option last season but decided I missed seeing other games so I bought the whole package on Spectrum. I guess it's true, you get dumber as you get older.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Monty said the team was not in rhythm after missing three games due to postponement. I did not hear him excuse the loss on missing players. As I understand it, they were unable to practice as a team.

Although there is no excuse for losing, the Grizzlies have won five games in a row.

I know what he's saying. He used it as an excuse which is crap, especially against a wounded warrior team like the Grizzlies.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I streamed the much cheaper single team option last season but decided I missed seeing other games so I bought the whole package on Spectrum. I guess it's true, you get dumber as you get older.

I'm learning that last statement is definitely true... which is scary considering how dumb i've been up to this point in my life.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I'm learning that last statement is definitely true... which is scary considering how dumb i've been up to this point in my life.

If one could only add wisdom to youth. Too bad life can't be lived over knowing what we know now.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
umm, last I checked you had to actually be able to score to be a stats guy.

he is just in a bad shooting slump. It will end at some point, but it is weird it has gone on this long.
His rebounding and assists are down as well. He’s playing poorly period. It’s not just a shooting slump. Unless he’s letting his poor shooting impact his whole game.

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Its almost like Book has too much time to think. Like his game has slowed down like the whole team has slowed down. Wonder what it could be?

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Can anyone else think of a star who got materially worse as the team around him improved?

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Watching GS LA game feeling bad for Oubre what the hell happened to his shot?

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
Looking at some of the positives...

Ayton had some downright spectacular plays. That spin move into reverse dunk was a thing of beauty. I was in an online meeting at work and yelled "YES" as it happened. Luckily I was on mute even though someone saw me on camera and asked if I had forgotten to unmute to ask something. Whoops!

I know Book looked off but he's still making a lot of good reads. He got the team 3 open 3s at the end (or, it was my recollection that he started those sequences) and they just didn't convert. It's a tough balance trying to shoulder the load when the opposing team starts doubling and finding the open man. Booker really needs to find that balance soon; 5-21 is not going to cut it.

Good to see Cam Payne back on the floor. He wasn't as productive as his earlier stints but looked like he was moving well and made his lone 3pt.

The team needs to break out of this funk soon.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Our defense has nose dived. Remember when we were the best defensive team in basketball? Long gone

I get it if your going to play at a super slow pace you better be lock down and really efficient on offense and we are neither

Booker and Paul isn’t working. So Paul pretty much let’s the ball roll picks it up walks over half court and passes it to Booker every time. Paul isn’t really driving, breaking down a defense, setting guys up he’s just kinda out there a lot of the time

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Lost 3 of 4 including two losses to the two worst teams in the sport something is seriously wrong with this team

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Our defense has nose dived. Remember when we were the best defensive team in basketball? Long gone

I get it if your going to play at a super slow pace you better be lock down and really efficient on offense and we are neither

Booker and Paul isn’t working. So Paul pretty much let’s the ball roll picks it up walks over half court and passes it to Booker every time. Paul isn’t really driving, breaking down a defense, setting guys up he’s just kinda out there a lot of the time
Yup they said suns are 13th in defensive efficiency. With this offense that’s not going to cut it.

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

TBH i kinda feel more comfortable with Payne on the floor. I know it sounds stupid but at least i know what im getting when hes out there.

100%

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
TBH i kinda feel more comfortable with Payne on the floor. I know it sounds stupid but at least i know what im getting when hes out there.

100%

I agree

like I said the second he crosses half court he throws it to Booker. This dudes getting 41 million a year for that?

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
At some point Kendall Jenner has to stop being the built-in excuse for his bad play. It's a weak excuse masquerading as a joke.

I'm not really sure what's going on but the girlfriend excuse is near the bottom of the list for me. But it's on the list. He wouldn't be the only young man to mix up his priorities because of a woman.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And yet its the ONLY thing that separates his play from this year to last. Oh wait theres that whole CP3 thing.

I was trying to be nice.

He was dating her last year also. Not sure when they started but I know he was dating her before the bubble.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
umm, last I checked you had to actually be able to score to be a stats guy.

he is just in a bad shooting slump. It will end at some point, but it is weird it has gone on this long.

Think about that. Calling it a shooting slump is like saying that it is happening to him . . . rather than of his doing.

On second thought, we agree. I've been posting that it is happening to him. Spending part of his time as a Point
Guard and part of his time as a Shooting Guard. His turnovers while handling the ball make him a disappointing
Point Guard, while inviting double teams. And limit his time and skills as an All Star level Shooting Guard.

I'm sure it was unplanned (not thought through by the General Manager), but the result is that he would have
to be Kobe Bryant to succeed. Book is good . . . but he is not at the level of Kobe Bryant. Although, when you
think about it, Book has probably been trying to be another Kobe, but falls short. Which is of his doing.

Even to the point of not being a consistent stats guy or final minutes closer on a mediocre team. It is not a slump,
but it is of the doing of the GM (and, perhaps, meddling owner, who is not a basketball expert).

He is a damn good scorer. He is not a savior! Or a defender, especially at two positions. Give him 32 minutes at
Shooting Guard, period, and he wouldn't be in a "slump". A slump, BTW, is like saying that there is something
wrong, but we can't figure out what it is. We know what it is. He is being misused.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
His rebounding and assists are down as well. He’s playing poorly period. It’s not just a shooting slump. Unless he’s letting his poor shooting impact his whole game.
Or the whole game (various roles) he is being forced to play is impacting his shooting. That sums up what I just posted.

CP3 bringing up the ball, then tossing it to Book (as Finito pointed out), makes Devin the de-facto distributor or forced
to go 1-on-1 to score, which adds to his being double-teamed and turnovers.

Devin is the victim of a team which has never been a serious championship contender.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose