Suns @ Grizzlies Friday game thread 11-12-2021

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Two things. It's ridiculous to be talking about trading Ayton right now barring a block buster trade in which we get a player we didn't think we could get in return. Second, I can't shake the feeling that if Ayton is traded he will go on to haunt the Suns for the rest of his career. Right now our backups are playing great but it such a long season.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Two things. It's ridiculous to be talking about trading Ayton right now barring a block buster trade in which we get a player we didn't think we could get in return. Second, I can't shake the feeling that if Ayton is traded he will go on to haunt the Suns for the rest of his career. Right now our backups are playing great but it such a long season.
Depends on team. If he goes to Spurs he will haunt us. If he goes to a team that always sucks, has poor leadership he will fade into anonymity.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is no way in hell Ayton could lead the Timberwolves out of obscurity. That team sucks and always will suck. Prime Garnett couldn't make anymore than 1 semi-legit run at a title there. Since their inception theyve had a bunch of stars go through there as well but they're a joke and always will be.

If you want to see something sad search for the greatest TWolves ever and behind Garnett is pretty bleak. Al Jefferson and Kevin Love were in the top 5 of the lists I saw. That should be a good indication of what to expect.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's a long road to match his $33,003,936 salary.

It really wouldn't take a much more than the proposed KAT trade. We'd need to trade Ayton, Saric, Stix, and then a minimum contract like Elfrid Payton. That would get the salaries within 125% of each other. Payton or Frank are on minimum deals, obviously keep Frank in that deal though but if he's the hold up then you do it anyway. That would require shopping for some minimum salary guys to fill out the end of the bench but Saric and Stix are non factors this year and Payton sucks.

Vacard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
8 points and 8 rebounds for KAT against the Clips….

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It really wouldn't take a much more than the proposed KAT trade. We'd need to trade Ayton, Saric, Stix, and then a minimum contract like Elfrid Payton. That would get the salaries within 125% of each other. Payton or Frank are on minimum deals, obviously keep Frank in that deal though but if he's the hold up then you do it anyway. That would require shopping for some minimum salary guys to fill out the end of the bench but Saric and Stix are non factors this year and Payton sucks.

I haven't looked closely at the Wolves roster but likely a third team would need to be involved with all those players going to Minnesota.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Depends on team. If he goes to Spurs he will haunt us. If he goes to a team that always sucks, has poor leadership he will fade into anonymity.
Naturally but Arizona teams over the years have had that exact same thing happen. Going to a number of teams in the West could be enough. Spurs would be a nightmare because I think if anybody could take him to the next level it would be Pop. Really I am just saying it would be our luck not that it’s a lock to happen.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Ayton definitely seems like a player that has to be managed by the right coaching staff and player leadership.

I also think on a team constructed differently, he could put up All Star numbers if he was goaded the right way.

This is why that while I disagree with not maxing him out, I do see the logic in it. He's just not a guy who takes a team on his back and tries to win a game himself. He can be successful and can be worth the max, but he could also be a 13 and 10 player if not pushed to be better.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ayton definitely seems like a player that has to be managed by the right coaching staff and player leadership.

I also think on a team constructed differently, he could put up All Star numbers if he was goaded the right way.

This is why that while I disagree with not maxing him out, I do see the logic in it. He's just not a guy who takes a team on his back and tries to win a game himself. He can be successful and can be worth the max, but he could also be a 13 and 10 player if not pushed to be better.

I really like the way you put that. Ayton is worth the max on the open market but he's not worth the max based on what he provides now for the Suns.

It's a tough spot to be in for a franchise because we only need a 14 & 10 Center to be a contender but it's virtually impossible to add one with the cap situation we're in. It's harder to replace what Ayton provides with the Suns limited resources so he has the team at a disadvantage in negotiations and their agents pushed that too hard. James Jones called their bluff and now we need to see what Ayton is really after.

A 3 year max, matching Paul's contract, makes the most sense for the team and would for Ayton financially if he took it because he'd have the chance to get a max starting at 30% after those 3 years but that is also losing long term security on his end.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really like the way you put that. Ayton is worth the max on the open market but he's not worth the max based on what he provides now for the Suns.

It's a tough spot to be in for a franchise because we only need a 14 & 10 Center to be a contender but it's virtually impossible to add one with the cap situation we're in. It's harder to replace what Ayton provides with the Suns limited resources so he has the team at a disadvantage in negotiations and their agents pushed that too hard. James Jones called their bluff and now we need to see what Ayton is really after.

A 3 year max, matching Paul's contract, makes the most sense for the team and would for Ayton financially if he took it because he'd have the chance to get a max starting at 30% after those 3 years but that is also losing long term security on his end.

I keep wanting to do business with the Kings to get Holmes and Halibuton but I know that is not going to happen.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

This. All day this.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Would not trade Ayton for Siakam or KAT. It's about the defense.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose