Suns free agency recap and going forward

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
SF? Does Nader provide the defense and intensity that Craig had?

I'd say Nader is a better SF than Craig but Craig played PF for us primarily. So its tough to say who is better or more valuable for certain. I like Nader and think he provides some quality depth. He's a good slasher/cutter and a high energy defender. Craig was the superior rebounder.

We won't need to play as small with McGee backing up Ayton. Craig did see time as a small ball 5 and that's when we struggled defensively. McGee can make up for rebounding lost while Ayton is out so it won't be as much of a team effort as well.

I think we'll still add a PF eventually but it may be some time, like February in the buyout market.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's clear the Suns are banking on improvement coming internally from the continued development of Ayton, Bridges, Johnson and hopefully Smith rather than any external additions. They probably think continuity adds to that development of our young core.

I like the additions of McGee and Shamet, but our offseason moves in totality lack a sense of urgency to maximize our current window with CP3 in my opinion.

Perhaps management's measured moves will be vindicated or an all-in move could come later after some assessment. We'll just have to see.
Considering our needs, cap room and tradable assets I thought we had a solid offseason. We re-signed our unrestricted free agents to team friendly contacts and added one of the better back up big men and one of the better 3rd string point guards. It would have been nice to do even more but considering what we had to work with, I'm more than satisfied.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Considering our needs, cap room and tradable assets I thought we had a solid offseason. We re-signed our unrestricted free agents to team friendly contacts and added one of the better back up big men and one of the better 3rd string point guards. It would have been nice to do even more but considering what we had to work with, I'm more than satisfied.

I like the Suns roster with the exception they need a backup defensive minded power forward that can play inside when needed... someone that can bang with the bigger players. The Suns only need a role player so I think it's doable, if not now later at the trade deadline or during buyouts.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Elfrid Payton OFFICIALLY signs with Suns. JaVale McGee is the only one left to sign.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Last edited:

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Cam Payne won't be firing his agent. Looks like he truly loves it here.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Cam Payne won't be firing his agent. Looks like he truly loves it here.

I mean that had to be the reason, but even so I almost feel bad for him for taking so little. The next 3 years are the prime of his career and he will never have an opportunity to make as much money again.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Suns OFFICIALLY sign JaVale McGee.

Now you can rest easy, Mainstreet. ;)

If it didn't happen this week I would have been a little concerned but since he was with Team USA in Japan, I wasn't surprised it took a little time for him to return to the US and probably spend a few days wherever he lives before coming to Phoenix to sign things and make it official.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Now you can rest easy, Mainstreet. ;)

If it didn't happen this week I would have been a little concerned but since he was with Team USA in Japan, I wasn't surprised it took a little time for him to return to the US and probably spend a few days wherever he lives before coming to Phoenix to sign things and make it official.

I was never concerned that McGee would sign with the Suns but I thought there was a possibility the deal could be tweaked to allow another roster addition.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I was never concerned that McGee would sign with the Suns but I thought there was a possibility the deal could be tweaked to allow another roster addition.

I know, I'm just giving you a hard time since you've been chomping at the bit for each deal to be made official this offseason.

I was a little surprised the Payton signing was made official before McGee.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know, I'm just giving you a hard time since you've been chomping at the bit for each deal to be made official this offseason.

I was a little surprised the Payton signing was made official before McGee.

The Payton signing was the one most uncertain because the deal was on the table and not yet agreed upon.

Whereas McGee agreed to the deal so it was simply a matter of waiting. Since it took so long to officially sign him, I thought the Suns might be tweaking the MLE for another signing.

I still think James Jones may have an ace up his sleeve.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave