Suns free agency recap and going forward

ProdigalSun

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
This is interesting. The Suns have to use BAE this season. It looks like they wil still have partial MLE remaining if Payton signs minimum.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

do we have to use the BAE to sign someone before the season starts?

Mainstreet

Supporting Member
Reaction score
It looks like the Suns will hold some funds back for future options.

Mainstreet

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve said my stance, I don’t need to beat a dead horse, but to me he is beyond flawed, he is a 10 point opposition run. I’d give an endless list of G league guys a look over someone I view as totally unplayable.

We may disagree about Payton but do you have any power forward candidates who you like who haven't agree to sign?

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Ish went elsewhere. Galloway is not a point guard. I really liked Payton as a player but I thought there were other issues going on when he was a Sun. If those are resolved I like him as a third point guard.
He got the haircut. I’m good.

Phrazbit

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I swear we’ve got a ton of posters who don’t understand that backups are typically worse than starters and third stringers are usually even worse yet . . . weird.
Again, to me he is more along the lines of “accidental saboteur”, not merely bad, but it’s like being 4 on 6.

But I will hope for the best.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Yeah.

I mean, I'd take Payton over Carter any day.
I go back and forth on Carter. He came with great defensive intensity and eventually improved his three ball. But what I saw as I watched more of him was a lot of frenetic action that rarely did anything. He would dribble all over a three foot area, going between the legs and just literally go nowhere. Useless if it wasn’t an open catch and shoot or wide open lane to drive. And defensively he hustled all over but it never seemed to result in a turnover or truly bother anyone he was guarding. I think his rep for defense faaaaarrrrr exceeded the reality of it.

Folster

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
We may disagree about Payton but do you have any power forward candidates who you like who haven't agree to sign?
I like this guy (courtesy of Reddit) as a 2 way player with some upside. Dude's got tree trunks for legs and some explosiveness.

Mainstreet

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was in the Milsap camp, sad to see gambo say it won’t happen.

I was ready for Millsap. He puts up solid numbers and no one takes the ball away from him under the basket.

Mainstreet

Supporting Member
Reaction score
@Folster

Also take a look at Tyrique Jones who is on the Suns Las Vegas Summer League roster.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Eh, Payton is fine for your third PG. They need to have a third point guard. Looks like the roster is pretty much set at this point if Payton accepts the offer. I was hoping for a bigger PF, but at least they got a big backup at 5. Suns really looked off without Ayton when your two other options were small and/or less than athletic. I think you can get away with an undersized or slow/ not athletic PF if your center is massive, so they took care of the biggest need, missed out somewhat on the second biggest need, and took care of the third need (actual backup SG).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AussieMatt