Suns free agency recap and going forward

Mainstreet

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Apparently we are bringing back Elfrid Payton?

The only thing I have heard is a mention from John Gambadoro. As a player, he would be excellent as a third point guard. Payne and Payton would be capable of giving Chris Paul some rest. Both can get to the basket.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Phrazbit

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The only thing I have heard is a mention from John Gambadoro. As a player, he would be excellent as a third point guard.

I disagree. He is an asset to the opposition. He can't shoot, he can't create and he doesn't defend, he also likes to dominate the ball when he is in.

The Knicks were waaaaaay worse when he was on the court.

Folster

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

Payton has solid playmaking abilities as he averaged over 6 assists every season sans last year so I'm assuming he played off the ball more for the first time. He's an awful 3 point shooter though.

I'd be pleased with him as our 3rd string PG. He and Payne can cover PG duties for a stretch of games if CP3 misses some time. He's definitely a better pure option at PG than Moore who Monty played out of position.

Mainstreet

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I disagree. He is an asset to the opposition. He can't shoot, he can't create and he doesn't defend, he also likes to dominate the ball when he is in.

The Knicks were waaaaaay worse when he was on the court.

Finding a third point guard that is better than Elfrid Payton will be hard to find.

Mainstreet

Supporting Member
Reaction score

Payton has solid playmaking abilities as he averaged over 6 assists every season sans last year so I'm assuming he played off the ball more for the first time. He's an awful 3 point shooter though.

I'd be pleased with him as our 3rd string PG. He and Payne can cover PG duties for a stretch of games if CP3 misses some time. He's definitely a better pure option at PG than Moore who Monty played out of position.

At least Payton should see the court whereas that couldn't be said for Carter, Moore and Galloway.

If the Suns can't get stronger at power forward, strengthen another position.

Mainstreet

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I feel like finding someone worse than him would be the real challenge.

I'd rather have Galloway, Ish Smith... I mean... the list of guys I would put above Payton is basically limitless.

Ish went elsewhere. Galloway is not a point guard. I really liked Payton as a player but I thought there were other issues going on when he was a Sun. If those are resolved I like him as a third point guard.

Phrazbit

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Ish went elsewhere. Galloway is not a point guard.

I still see Ish as a free agent.

Regardless, I don't think Payton belongs in the league.

If we actually signed him I will hope for the best but I also expect that by late November I will be praying for his release.

Mainstreet

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I still see Ish as a free agent.

Regardless, I don't think Payton belongs in the league.

If we actually signed him I will hope for the best but I also expect that by late November I will be praying for his release.

Ish signed a two year deal with Charlotte. I liked him as well. However, for a late signing, Payton is a good addition.

Folster

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
At least Payton should see the court whereas that couldn't be said for Carter, Moore and Galloway.

If the Suns can't get stronger at power forward, strengthen another position.

Agreed. None of the bench guards that you mentioned could run an offense. Moore and especially Galloway were better off the ball while Carter was a defensive pest who could hit the spot up three at times. It's important that we have ballhandlers that can run the offense with an aging CP3.

Mainstreet

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agreed. None of the bench guards that you mentioned could run an offense. Moore and especially Galloway were better off the ball while Carter was a defensive pest who could hit the spot up three at times. It's important that we have ballhandlers that can run the offense with an aging CP3.

We are in agreement if it happens. The language in the tweets are a bit ambiguous IMO.