Suns fire McD

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
My god McD really screwed us over...this is worse than last year. Different personnel and coaching but the same result.

The root of the problem is who set this all up and the regime that he put in place.

Gambo reported yesterday that McD had deals/plans to address the PG situation, including adding Shai Gilgous-Alexander, as well as trading Tyson Chandler instead of releasing him... But Sarver... UGH...

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gambo reported yesterday that McD had deals/plans to address the PG situation, including adding Shai Gilgous-Alexander, as well as trading Tyson Chandler instead of releasing him... But Sarver... UGH...

I think it's even worse than this. This is still on Sarver but I believe that James Jones is the voice that Robert listened to that led to overruling McD and eventually firing him. And Jones is going to be our new GM. He's convinced Sarver that we need to trade for and sign established players and forget about the draft. And he's right, we'll be a better team if we start trading away picks and maybe young guys. We'll no longer be the laughingstock of the league, we'll win our 40 to 45 games a season and that will be our future. We'll go back to trying to find a superstar via trade or maybe with our 18th pick each season.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

It would be sort of ironic if McDonough finally came close to a move that might help right the ship and he was not allowed to complete it.

It also makes me wonder if the Ariza signing was 100% McDonough's idea.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
It would be sort of ironic if McDonough finally came close to a move that might help right the ship and he was not allowed to complete it.

That was the gist I got from the way Gambo was talking about it...

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That was the gist I got from the way Gambo was talking about it...

I'm sure you have it correct. These rumors have been floating out there for awhile. It will be nice to have it confirmed someday so we can officially flip out.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
I'm sure you have it correct. These rumors have been floating out there for awhile. It will be nice to have it confirmed someday so we can officially flip out.

Just more evidence of how dysfunctional Sarver is...Truly, he single-handidly has wrecked this franchise. Yes, we've had some laughable coaches over the past 8 years or so - but, he's also the guy who hired those damn coaches.
And he finally had a GM who apparently had a plan, and right before he was about to enact that plan, out of the blue Sarver cans his arse... So crazy...

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

AFAIC, it's already been confirmed. What hasn't been confirmed is why Sarver interfered. And that might not leak out until after James Jones fails and gets fired.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just more evidence of how dysfunctional Sarver is...Truly, he single-handidly has wrecked this franchise. Yes, we've had some laughable coaches over the past 8 years or so - but, he's also the guy who hired those damn coaches.
And he finally had a GM who apparently had a plan, and right before he was about to enact that plan, out of the blue Sarver cans his arse... So crazy...

McDonough made a lot of mistakes but if the Suns could have moved up to draft Shai, this would be a much better basketball team.

The Suns could have built around a core of Booker, Warren Ayton and Shai.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

The Ariza signing wasn't McDonough's idea at all. It was Igor Kokoskov's. That has already been reported.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
none of this surprises me. A leopard can't change his spots, no matter how much people wish they can.

Can we all at least pledge to remember this five years from now... when I'm sure we'll still be awful and in the midst of another meltdown, but people give Sarver the benefit of the doubt somehow again because a couple years previous he will have come out with a "I'm really stepping back from decisions... for good this time!" statement. This board has been through the "Sarver's changed!" wars like 4 or 5 times where he's pulled that Lucy with football trick on Charlie Brown.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score

I believe it was reported Igor wanted Ariza. I remember reading that they (Sarver, McD, Jones) asked him what kind of a player he wanted, and he said Ariza.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe it was reported Igor wanted Ariza. I remember reading that they (Sarver, McD, Jones) asked him what kind of a player he wanted, and he said Ariza.

It was but we really don't know the context. Did McD give him half a dozen names and say "pick the free agent you want the most" or did he just ask him outright to name the one player he'd like to add?

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
It was but we really don't know the context. Did McD give him half a dozen names and say "pick the free agent you want the most" or did he just ask him outright to name the one player he'd like to add?

Either way, I am sure it was a "reasonable" list of targets. Also, just to clarify, I am not giving Igor any crap here. Ariza, on paper, looks like a perfect player for him and the Suns. I am still convinced if they had a real point guard and Booker and Warren were healthy, Ariza would actually look much better.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Either way, I am sure it was a "reasonable" list of targets. Also, just to clarify, I am not giving Igor any crap here. Ariza, on paper, looks like a perfect player for him and the Suns. I am still convinced if they had a real point guard and Booker and Warren were healthy, Ariza would actually look much better.

You're probably right, he is a complementary player and there's really nothing to complement most nights.

Town Drunk

Longest serving ASFN lurker
Reaction score
none of this surprises me. A leopard can't change his spots, no matter how much people wish they can.

Can we all at least pledge to remember this five years from now... when I'm sure we'll still be awful and in the midst of another meltdown, but people give Sarver the benefit of the doubt somehow again because a couple years previous he will have come out with a "I'm really stepping back from decisions... for good this time!" statement. This board has been through the "Sarver's changed!" wars like 4 or 5 times where he's pulled that Lucy with football trick on Charlie Brown.

You mean, like earlier this year?

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
...What hasn't been confirmed is why Sarver interfered...
For the same reason that he used to meet with Hornacek to decide on the starting lineups each game. Micromanagement (even though unqualified).

And why he has hired no one with credentials to challenge him as GM and Head Coach (and were turned over regularly because they were inexperienced in those jobs).

And why he actually functioned as General Manager for a time, with no basketball experience.

Why Sarver interferes? Because of his ego. We saw it coming when, as soon as he and his group bought the Suns from Jerry and his, Sarver was calling attention to himself in the stands with that foam finger.

He hadn't earned the right to try to make himself the face of the Suns, but he tried. In the words of Neil Diamond, "Money talks, but it don't sing and dance and it don't walk..."

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For the same reason that he used to meet with Hornacek to decide on the starting lineups each game. Micromanagement (even though unqualified).

And why he has hired no one with credentials to challenge him as GM and Head Coach (and were turned over regularly because they were inexperienced in those jobs).

And why he actually functioned as General Manager for a time, with no basketball experience.

Why Sarver interferes? Because of his ego. We saw it coming when, as soon as he and his group bought the Suns from Jerry and his, Sarver was calling attention to himself in the stands with that foam finger.

That was a misinterpretation on your part BC. I believe Jeff said something like "we meet regularly and we discuss things such as lineups".

And when I asked "why" it wasn't so much about the kind of "why" you're responding about. I don't doubt he has a huge ego, I mean why did he interfere in those particular moves? He didn't just decide we don't need a point guard or Bridges is the guy we have to get. Sarver took input from someone and valued it more than Ryan's, the guy he put in place to make those decisions.

I think Robert honestly believes he no longer meddles but going behind your GM's back like that is very much meddling. Anyway, it got Ryan fired and I don't believe it was just a case of Sarver's ego. I've said it several times but that pre-firing phone call to Jones really worries me. And I don't think it signifies anything good for our long term future.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I've read this but I don't recall any comments made by Igor directly to this effect.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ok everyone is correct about Ariza being depended on to do too much. He’s not our star player even though he’s getting paid a good amount this year. That’s on McD.

He is a role player. He knows that. We should know that but we think he should be doing more considering his salary. That’s on MCD.

I mean look at his role in all the teams he’s been a part of. What did we really expect?
He’s on the roster, accept that.

Wish we could be fully know what the plan was and why he got fired.

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mor...nough-on-the-radio-with-regularity/ar-BBW5n2C

weird considering how bland the guy is. I know I wouldn't listen in just because he's on the radio

I definitely wouldn't subscribe to SiriusXM to listen to him. I wouldn't mind catching the first show he does to see if he opens up about the Suns but I imagine that will be covered by a few places if it happens, which will save me the trouble of having to say awake and listen to him talk. Maybe if they market his show as a sleep aid then it might draw more interest regularly.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I definitely wouldn't subscribe to SiriusXM to listen to him. I wouldn't mind catching the first show he does to see if he opens up about the Suns but I imagine that will be covered by a few places if it happens, which will save me the trouble of having to say awake and listen to him talk. Maybe if they market his show as a sleep aid then it might draw more interest regularly.

I'd especially like to know what McDonough wanted to do for a point guard for the 2018-19 season.

Also I'd to hear about Sarver and his draft/trade decisions.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
maybe filling griffin's role since he signed on with the Pels. Griffin did have a lot of great things to say all the time. They usually never asked Griffin specifics on his time in Cleveland so I doubt they'll ask McD anything about his decisions regarding the Suns.