Suns extend Landry Shamet

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Shamet's contract has a 4th year team option.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, it appears the Suns were not a believer at this point in time. As you know I wanted both Ayton and Bridges extended. Perhaps the Suns feel a lesser paid center could do the same job.

I have to believe this was a decision made by the entire Suns organization including Monty Williams and James Jones. They deal with Ayton on a continual basis.
Here is the thing. This can't be a new revelation. If you truly believe Ayton is not the answer? You should have moved him already in the offseason to setup other moves. There were a bunch of players on the move in the offseason.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Shamet's contract has a 4th year option.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Funny how most of the contracts end around 2-3 years from now. Chris Paul and the gang can be all gone and we retool around Booker.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Years from now, we won't be marking this day as the day we didn't pay Ayton. We will look back at how we signed Landry Shamet, the key to our first NBA Championship!!

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is the thing. This can't be a new revelation. If you truly believe Ayton is not the answer? You should have moved him already in the offseason to setup other moves. There were a bunch of players on the move in the offseason.

This is a good argument unless the Suns believed Ayton would except less than the max. If so, that's a miscalculation by the Suns.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Funny how most of the contracts end around 2-3 years from now. Chris Paul and the gang can be all gone and we retool around Booker.

When the Suns traded for Chris Paul it opened the window. I thought they should have been more aggressive last season at the trade deadline and during buyouts.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is a good argument unless the Suns believed Ayton would except less than the max. If so, that's a miscalculation by the Suns.
His camp has been signaling from the get go he wanted to get paid the max. Again, that can't be a revelation either.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

WTF wouldn't we want to retool around Booker AND Ayton. Do we think Booker's gonna be happy seeing himself just playing next to Bridges in a couple years?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
eating up this salary knowing that Cam is going to be up for an extension next year makes no sense either... unless they're planning on going hog wild in spending.

which today they proved they're not.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
WTF wouldn't we want to retool around Booker AND Ayton. Do we think Booker's gonna be happy seeing himself just playing next to Bridges in a couple years?

As a fan looking at the team, I would think Booker, Paul and Monty would have a lot of input regarding personnel moves.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
This. 100% no. Booker already found out what it's like NOT having someone of Chris Paul's caliber. Short of bringing in someone on of this caliber I fully expect Booker to say get someone or trade me even WITH Ayton unless he makes a major leap. Without Ayton as well? He is out of here.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As a fan looking at the team, I would think Booker, Paul and Monty would have a lot of input regarding personnel moves.

if you think those guys want to go into the season with a guy now pissed off and disrespected, knowing he is the biggest key outside of them to win a title, you're drinking drano.

think about how upset some of us are... and all we're losing is kinda nothing. now imagine yourself as Ayton. You just played incredible in the playoffs, helping the team get to the Finals, you're seeing all these guys signing contracts, a couple of them for MAX who have never accomplished jack squat and you're sitting there with one of the most notoriously miserly owner in the sport saying "prove it to me". Hey Sarver, how YOU PROVE IT TO YOUR FANS YOU ACTUALLY WILL DO EVERYTHING IT TAKES TO WIN A TITLE.

If that's not your goal, **** of the league or accept your fate as the butt of most jokes again in a couple years.

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
When Shamet’s extension kicks in it is expected to be a lower yearly average than what the mid-level exemption will be.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if you think those guys want to go into the season with a guy now pissed off and disrespected, knowing he is the biggest key outside of them to win a title, you're drinking drano.

think about how upset some of us are... and all we're losing is kinda nothing. now imagine yourself as Ayton. You just played incredible in the playoffs, helping the team get to the Finals, you're seeing all these guys signing contracts, a couple of them for MAX who have never accomplished jack squat and you're sitting there with one of the most notoriously miserly owner in the sport saying "prove it to me". Hey Sarver, how YOU PROVE IT TO YOUR FANS YOU ACTUALLY WILL DO EVERYTHING IT TAKES TO WIN A TITLE.

If that's not your goal, **** of the league or accept your fate as the butt of most jokes again in a couple years.

Don't you think those people had input including James Jones?

Deandre Ayton even attended Sarver's alma mater Arizona. The easiest avenue would have been to pay Ayton.

I wanted Ayton signed too but I have to look and ask why.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score

Deandre Ayton even attended Sarver's alma mater Arizona. The easiest avenue would have been to pay Ayton.

Maybe he should have interned at one of Sarver's banks, too!

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

occam's razor.

Ayton wasn't seen meeting with Monty or JJ. He was seen meeting with the man himself, who has been known forever to meddle in CRUCIAL negotiations.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
occam's razor.

Ayton wasn't seen meeting with Monty or JJ. He was seen meeting with the man himself, who has been known forever to meddle in CRUCIAL negotiations.

When I saw the picture of Ayton with Sarver last Monday at a restaurant that was like the kiss of death.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I saw the picture of Ayton with Sarver last Monday at a restaurant that was like the kiss of death.

i thought so too. he's the LAST person I want involved in negotiations alone, much less with our actual PLAYERS. Can't forget... this is the jackass that put a freaking LIVE GOAT in his GM's office to motivate him that then proceeded to poo p everywhere.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Well then...

Jones has earned the benefit of the doubt, but I gotta say... this a real leap of faith in my eyes. I just didn't see his role even being big enough to warrant that much money, but maybe they envision him as our Lou Williams. He certainly can shoot.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well then...

Jones has earned the benefit of the doubt, but I gotta say... this a real leap of faith in my eyes. I just didn't see his role even being big enough to warrant that much money, but maybe they envision him as our Lou Williams. He certainly can shoot.

I see Shamet as more of a poor man's Jeremy Clarkson right now. Good ballhandler, can run the point, can get buckets, and plays solid defense. Clarkson just got 4 years/$52m. I'd say this is Sixth Man money, which is fair.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
No this is stupid.

Not signing him now does not mean the team does not want him.

for god sake they have been negotiating for at least two weeks - obviously the team DOES want him.

I would heavily bet he will resign with the suns next off season

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Why, you think any owner signs 100 million dollar deals without talking to the player?

get real.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not signing him now does not mean the team does not want him.

for god sake they have been negotiating for at least two weeks - obviously the team DOES want him.

I would heavily bet he will resign with the suns next off season

Let’s make a signature bet. I bet he doesn’t sign a long term deal with the team next off-season.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why, you think any owner signs 100 million dollar deals without talking to the player?

get real.

At that point I understand there was an impasse.