Suns, Eric Bledsoe Far Apart In Talks

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns are offering Eric Bledsoe much less than the maximum salary he’s likely seeking as the team and agent Rich Paul aren’t moving anywhere close to agreement on a new contract for the restricted free agent, reports Chris Broussard of ESPN.com. Phoenix’s insistence that it will match any offers for Bledsoe has effectively deterred would-be suitors, as Broussard details. The Suns have so far refused to discuss sign-and-trade scenarios, but rival teams nonetheless continue to believe the Suns would trade him, given Phoenix’s acquisition of Isaiah Thomas and decision to draft Tyler Ennis. Both are point guards, like Bledsoe.

http://www.hoopsrumors.com/2014/07/bledsoe-apart-talks.html

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Blah blah blah. Agent speak here. Of course they are "far apart"! How else do they expect some team like the Bucks to offer a larger offer than what we are?

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
The fact that no other teams have offered any type of contract, let alone a max deal, can't be dismissed... Still might happen I guess, but I would've thought that by now, at least one other team would've made a run at Bled...

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Rich Paul is a lousy agent. Any idiot can negotiate for Lebron James. The free agency period has all but dried up. Bledsoe has only 3 options now. Take our offer, sign the QO and take a $40 million gamble, or try to force a sign and trade.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The fact that no other teams have offered any type of contract, let alone a max deal, can't be dismissed... Still might happen I guess, but I would've thought that by now, at least one other team would've made a run at Bled...

I don't know that we really know that. But it's clear no one has offered enough to get their serious attention.

Steve

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Suns are being smart, they hold all the cards now to sign Bledsoe for the price they want to pay.

Luckily we are in a good position here - we are not desperate to keep Bledsoe although it would be preferable.

Rich Paul quickly becoming public enemy #1. I get the impression that this is all Paul's work, not so much what Eric wants. It's time for Eric to make decisions.

Last edited:

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Rich Paul is a lousy agent. Any idiot can negotiate for Lebron James. The free agency period has all but dried up. Bledsoe has only 3 options now. Take our offer, sign the QO and take a $40 million gamble, or try to force a sign and trade.

I agree. An agent has to be able to multitask and be ready for all that his clients need.

My guess is that his agent has been taking up all his time on Lebron James, one client, instead of his others.

What makes it worse?

Bledsoe's deal would bring more money to Paul then Lebron James' deal since he only signed a 2 year deal. Even the Suns offer, as low as it is, will be for more money the Lebron James.

Kind of funny, all that time for a small contract, and what seems to be much less time for a bigger one.

Lots of unknowns, but it looks like it's playing out similar to this.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
I'll judge this by the outcome. Hope they know what they are doing as I DON'T want to lose this guy. He is super gifted.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
Personally I think Bledsoe is a guy you gamble on and just max out. Maybe the Suns and league know something I don't, and I am all good getting him for less obviously. But just pay the guy to get this done. He's a potential russell westbook type producer and we dont get those here often.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think it's premature to point to the Joe Johnson situation. In the end, it wasn't about money. He just wanted out. Maybe that's the case with Eric but I've seen nothing to suggest it. I think if we step up our offer he'll sign immediately. We're apparently reluctant to do so because we've yet to see proof we need to offer more.

Steve

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
Its not the Joe Johnson situation perse. Its how I felt when things started to come out of both camps when we first learned of discord beween JJ and the Suns. Im getting that uneasy feelign again now.

That was one of the worst personnel losses in Suns history for me. That was my guy loved him on the Celtics before he was even traded here. He was always overpaid but he wasted his years in Atlanta as hes a better 2nd guy. Oh well.

Dont want the same to happen to Bledso which I feel the same way about.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
No reason to give him more than $12M. $10-$11M would be ideal.

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Show me the money!!!

Sorry, re-watched Jerry McGuire the other night.

I hope some deal that is satisfactory can be reached with Bledsoe. We need his head straight during the season and I would like to see him with team for a long time.

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
This one is a tough call. I wouldn't give him max money based on his fragility so far in his career. Every other year in his 4 years has been about half the season (a bit more 40 and 43 games). In 2 seasons he played pretty much the entire season.

I agree that the $10-11 mil a year pop would be good value. Make it a 3 year deal with a 3rd year team option and see how he does. If he is a part time player due to injuries then you have to move on. I don't think they can afford to wrap this guy up for 4 or 5 years and get burned.

Really, really good player but one of those that doesn't help you on the bench in street clothes.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
This one is a tough call. I wouldn't give him max money based on his fragility so far in his career. Every other year in his 4 years has been about half the season (a bit more 40 and 43 games). In 2 seasons he played pretty much the entire season.

I agree that the $10-11 mil a year pop would be good value. Make it a 3 year deal with a 3rd year team option and see how he does. If he is a part time player due to injuries then you have to move on. I don't think they can afford to wrap this guy up for 4 or 5 years and get burned.

Really, really good player but one of those that doesn't help you on the bench in street clothes.

One year is a small sample size. I dont believe he was injury prone prior to coming here. He played 81 and 76 2 of the 3 years prior coming. It allc omes down to his current injury and if its something that will hold him back logn term. I dont think thats the case so pay him 4 year Deal 50-55 million would be fair IMO

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
One year is a small sample size. I dont believe he was injury prone prior to coming here. He played 81 and 76 2 of the 3 years prior coming. It allc omes down to his current injury and if its something that will hold him back logn term. I dont think thats the case so pay him 4 year Deal 50-55 million would be fair IMO

1st year 81 games
2nd year 40 games
3rd year 76 games
4th year 43 games

At least that is what the stats show on ESPN.com. Like I said every other year in his career so far he's missed almost half the season. Of course, part of his 2nd year was more CP3 showing up than injury probably, I don't know.

So, to me there's 2 years sample size to give a fair degree of caution/concern about a long term, big money contract.

Last edited:

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
1st year 81 games
2nd year 40 games
3rd year 76 games
4th year 43 games

So, to me there's 2 years sample size to give a fair degree of caution/concern about a long term, big money contract.

The sample size is four years, not two. He has played in 73% of all possible games during his four-year career. Whether that predicts anything about the future is hard to say, but four years is a decent-sized window.

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The sample size is four years, not two. He has played in 73% of all possible games during his four-year career. Whether that predicts anything about the future is hard to say, but four years is a decent-sized window.

Definitely don't give max money to a player who has missed that many games IMO. Plus, he's had 2 operations on that right knee as well.

I think when it's all said and done he will get far less than the max and will end up back here on a fairly reasonable, if a bit overpaying contract. And, that wouldn't be the worse signing this team has ever done.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Mike Jurecki ‏@mikejurecki
>>RT @Chris_Broussard: Suns offered Eric Bledsoe 4-year, $48 million contract. Bledsoe wants max of 5 years, $80 million. Sides far apart

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Definitely don't give max money to a player who has missed that many games IMO. Plus, he's had 2 operations on that right knee as well.

I think when it's all said and done he will get far less than the max and will end up back here on a fairly reasonable, if a bit overpaying contract. And, that wouldn't be the worse signing this team has ever done.

I'd give the max to him in a heartbeat if that were the market for him but it doesn't appear to be. I look at Lance's deal and Lowry's deal and IT's deal and figure Kyrie's is the outlier. Give him Lowry money and that's it. If someone wants to pay him more they'll show it. Until then, he has no leverage.

Steve

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave