Suns @ Clippers Wednesday game thread 4-6-2022

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Monty didn't think the starters had a great spirit.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
You know how Eddie Johnson has said all season “these guys are pros too” when scrubs have given our starters a run for their money or even beaten them? Elfrid Payton is not a pro anymore. He may have been at one point, but his play this season has been so incredibly unbelievably bad that he doesn’t even belong on the end of a bench. I have no hesitation in saying that he was likely the worst player on any basketball court in the United States tonight.

And until the fourth quarter Craig was giving Elfrid a run for his money for worst.

And Payne wasn’t far behind him. Holy crap he looked like a scrub blowing his big shot at getting more than a 10 day contract tonight.

Shamet was pretty poor as well. My biggest concern is that the 5 that started tonight are one starter and four guys who primarily make up our second unit and they looked like they had zero chemistry or understanding of each other’s games.

Cam Johnson has a LONG way to go to get back to where he was when he went out injured. Remember, he just put up 38 in that game. He’s got no rhythm or flow to his game right now.

Biz just isn’t very good.

Like everyone else I can’t understand holiday not having played more. He was a total spark plug of energy tonight. It sometimes seems like he’s outta control, and sometimes he is, but he also seems tightrope that right on the edge and still come out effective. If Elfrid gets ANY burn over him the playoffs I just won’t get it.

And ish played really well tonight on both ends of the court. Forget about Iffe, if we jettison Elfrid I think we should sign ish for the playoffs. His three point shot has steadily improved, he’s a big body and his defense in the passing lanes has really improved. I think the game slowed down for him a little. In a worst case scenario he could give spot minutes without it killing us.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
Personally I think Monty was letting Payton eliminate himself from the playoff equation. I'm hoping Iffe replaces him on the roster.

I hope you are right. I like Monty, obviously you can't argue with the overall results. But man, does he sometimes have an inexplicable obstinacy about some things... Payton, the timeouts thing, weird rotations at time.

Hopefully, none of those end up biting us in the rear in the playoffs. I still have Vietnam flashbacks of D'Antoni and his obstinate obsessions killing our last best chance of winning it all.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I think the plan is to play out the last two with Cam then he gets a week off and is hopefully fine.

How the Clippers added Powell & Covington is crazy. They are upgrades over the role players we faced last year.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hope you are right. I like Monty, obviously you can't argue with the overall results. But man, does he sometimes have an inexplicable obstinacy about some things... Payton, the timeouts thing, weird rotations at time.

Hopefully, none of those end up biting us in the rear in the playoffs. I still have Vietnam flashbacks of D'Antoni and his obstinate obsessions killing our last best chance of winning it all.

I understand the timeouts better than I do the rotations. Monty likes for players to play through their mistakes.

However, I can't understand not playing Holiday. The only thing I can think of is Monty is deciding who he wants to keep for the playoffs.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the plan is to play out the last two with Cam then he gets a week off and is hopefully fine.

How the Clippers added Powell & Covington is crazy. They are upgrades over the role players we faced last year.

The Trail Blazers did the Suns no favor for sure.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You know how Eddie Johnson has said all season “these guys are pros too” when scrubs have given our starters a run for their money or even beaten them? Elfrid Payton is not a pro anymore. He may have been at one point, but his play this season has been so incredibly unbelievably bad that he doesn’t even belong on the end of a bench. I have no hesitation in saying that he was likely the worst player on any basketball court in the United States tonight.

And until the fourth quarter Craig was giving Elfrid a run for his money for worst.

And Payne wasn’t far behind him. Holy crap he looked like a scrub blowing his big shot at getting more than a 10 day contract tonight.

Shamet was pretty poor as well. My biggest concern is that the 5 that started tonight are one starter and four guys who primarily make up our second unit and they looked like they had zero chemistry or understanding of each other’s games.

Cam Johnson has a LONG way to go to get back to where he was when he went out injured. Remember, he just put up 38 in that game. He’s got no rhythm or flow to his game right now.

Biz just isn’t very good.

Like everyone else I can’t understand holiday not having played more. He was a total spark plug of energy tonight. It sometimes seems like he’s outta control, and sometimes he is, but he also seems tightrope that right on the edge and still come out effective. If Elfrid gets ANY burn over him the playoffs I just won’t get it.

And ish played really well tonight on both ends of the court. Forget about Iffe, if we jettison Elfrid I think we should sign ish for the playoffs. His three point shot has steadily improved, he’s a big body and his defense in the passing lanes has really improved. I think the game slowed down for him a little. In a worst case scenario he could give spot minutes without it killing us.

I think you really nailed it with the comment below:

"My biggest concern is that the 5 that started tonight are one starter and four guys who primarily make up our second unit and they looked like they had zero chemistry or understanding of each other’s games."

Some of the bench players need more playing time especially Holiday.

I wish the Suns could find a way to keep both Lundberg and Wainright. That only happens if the Suns waive Payton and Kaminsky can't return from injury. I keep hoping Frank can get healthy. The Suns point guard situation makes me want to keep Iffe although I like Wainright as well.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like these guys: Ish Wainright and Gabriel Lundberg.

gimpy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
OK, I'm worried. They've lost three of last four, I think? Our bench is supposed to be???? (I have not watched any games since canceling DTV).

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK, I'm worried. They've lost three of last four, I think? Our bench is supposed to be???? (I have not watched any games since canceling DTV).

Yeah, the Suns need to kick it in gear. They peaked and now have to regain momentum.

I think the way the bench played last night in the 4th quarter was encouraging.

The Clippers game was on ESPN and the game with Jazz on Friday is on NBA TV in addition to Bally Sports Arizona.

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
This needs to be repeated in what started off as a brutal night.
I remember they scored 107 in the first half once upon a time. 50 and 57 in the first and second quarters. Maybe 48 is a record for a fourth quarter. Or maybe I'm misremembering.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I remember they scored 107 in the first half once upon a time. 50 and 57 in the first and second quarters. Maybe 48 is a record for a fourth quarter. Or maybe I'm misremembering.

I didn't look it up but those Mike D'Antoni teams put up lots of points.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you are seriously worried about loosing a few games where we are resting our starters and really have nothing to play for? the sky is not falling, we will be fine.

At this time of the season I'm more worried about how the Suns play than wins and losses. Aside from the win over the Lakers they haven't play well for awhile.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Oh my lord… guys, you are all such prisoners of the moment! He’s been out over a month. He’s someone who’s always taken a bit to regain form after injury but he’s still got another week and a half before the playoffs even start.

Sheesh… and y’all used to accuse ME of being a pessimist.

Chillax Suns board.
Does he look like a completely different player? I don't think there is any other answer to that question than "yes." I am confident Cam will eventually get back his form... I am not as confident that will happen in time for the playoffs. Pessimism? I don't think so. Just expressing a concern based on what I've seen since his return.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Does he look like a completely different player? I don't think there is any other answer to that question than "yes." I am confident Cam will eventually get back his form... I am not as confident that will happen in time for the playoffs. Pessimism? I don't think so. Just expressing a concern based on what I've seen since his return.
After 3 games, and only one of which had the normal rotation? Come on.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
No he doesn’t. His game is still the same he’s just not dropping the shots or getting as much elevation. Those are conditioning and muscle memory things. He’s still got like two weeks to get those locked in. And if he doesn’t we can get through a first round with him still playing into form which likely gives him one or two weeks more.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
No he doesn’t. His game is still the same he’s just not dropping the shots or getting as much elevation. Those are conditioning and muscle memory things. He’s still got like two weeks to get those locked in. And if he doesn’t we can get through a first round with him still playing into form which likely gives him one or two weeks more.
Yea... I'm more optimistic that we'll see the pre-injury Cam the later we progress into the playoffs...

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
After 3 games, and only one of which had the normal rotation? Come on.
It's actually 4 games now... Nothing that I'm concerned about has anything to do with the rotation. He looks extremely out of shape and is therefore dead weight playing defense. And he's had a tremendous amount of open looks. In the 4 games since he's returned, he's 6 for 30 from behind the arc.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
It's actually 4 games now... Nothing that I'm concerned about has anything to do with the rotation. He looks extremely out of shape and is therefore dead weight playing defense. And he's had a tremendous amount of open looks. In the 4 games since he's returned, he's 6 for 30 from behind the arc.
So? He'll get it back, he's getting a lot of minutes, more than his usual, immediately after he comes back. Not only is he coming back from a long time off, but he's dealing with more minutes than he's used to. He'll be fine.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
So? He'll get it back, he's getting a lot of minutes, more than his usual, immediately after he comes back. Not only is he coming back from a long time off, but he's dealing with more minutes than he's used to. He'll be fine.
Like I said in my response to Ouchie... I feel more confident that the pre-injury Cam will surface the deeper we go into the playoffs.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose