Suns @ Clippers Thursday WCF game thread 6-24-2021 - Game 3

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The problem is Carter can’t initiate the offense. He has to be alongside Booker or Paul or Payne.

Carter is my favorite Sun not named Booker or Paul but he's not the answer. He's a streaky shooter who can't distribute the ball. He's a bulldog on D and should get a little burn but if Monty played him, people would be calling for him to be sat after he either bricked a couple of open 3's or passed out of them. He's really an undersized SG whose confidence is shaky. He can't spell Paul or Payne at PG.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Carter is my favorite Sun not named Booker or Paul but he's not the answer. He's a streaky shooter who can't distribute the ball. He's a bulldog on D and should get a little burn but if Monty played him, people would be calling for him to be sat after he either bricked a couple of open 3's or passed out of them. He's really an undersized SG whose confidence is shaky. He can't spell Paul or Payne at PG.
Moore isn’t the answer either. He has done nothing.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Before he broke his nose in Game 2, Beverly owned him then as well…
Yes, I’m sure the mask isn’t helping, but I am 100% convinced Beverly has taken up full residency inside Book’s head. It’s a serious, serious problem and I am not at all convinced Book has the game and the mind to get over PatBev…

Bev is playing great defense on Book. PERIOD. The mask didn’t help but Bev owns Book right now.

If you call headbutting a player and breaking his nose owning him, we have different definitions.

outcent13

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Here’s the deal, Patrick Beverley is the kind of player every fan wants on their team. The problem is during the season reaching in as often as he does, slapping wrist as often as he does, getting in faces and talking the way he does., Normally we are going those will be fouls or technical fouls. The rules shouldn’t change from regular season to playoffs, and from series to series.Someone leaning in with their head and their arms back, making zero attempt to get the ball, that poo is basically a freaking red card in rugby.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
At the end of the day it’s one game. We can’t be shocked the Clips took one. Having said that there are some legit concerns. They need to figure out how to get Book loose against Bev. The team needs some damn luck with health issues. We need better contributions felon the bench.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you call headbutting a player and breaking his nose owning him, we have different definitions.
Huh? He was effective against Book BEFORE that and since then. Bev has been playing great defense.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
LOL…unless you’re not watching the entire game, it would be hard to be serious with that take Mainstreet.
PatBev forced Book into another Tech tonight. He hounded Book everywhere he went. When Book didn’t have the ball, PatBev was all over him.
Yea… the broken nose doesn’t help. But Book is totally off his game and PatBev is the sole reason.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
He's a more effective playmaker than Carter. Kaminsky is a more efficient playmaker than Carter. We're going to need everyone to step up if Payne can't go.
He hasn’t shown that at all.

Azjose86

Veteran
Reaction score
Book and Paul need to get the Clippers in foul trouble early next game and make them change their game plan. They allowed the Clippers aggression to get to them and took them off sync. Let Booker drive early, instead of shooting off balance. Once they establish that, it will take them away from playing so close to guys.

Crowder and Bridges need to start hitting those 3s. They've been pretty meh this series.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Book was playing poorly against Bev before the broken nose. Book was playing poorly against Bev after the broken nose. The one constant I see is Bev.

I'm not saying Beverley can't play defense but how did we get here tonight?

Tell me what happened to Booker in Game 2.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He hasn’t shown that at all.

And when has Carter ever shown to be an effective playmaker? I can point to examples of Moore keeping his composure and doing well as a backup PG during the regular season, towards the end of the regular season also, but Carter has never shown an ability to run an offense.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Have to watch some mst 3000 to help my mood ugh crappy night...

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Huh? He was effective against Book BEFORE that and since then. Bev has been playing great defense.

Again, I'm not saying Beverley can't play defense but he helped himself a lot.

The head butt occurred in Game 2. IMO, you are giving Beverley too much credit when Booker is playing hurt.

Booker is good enough to adjust to any defense when healthy. He has all season.

outcent13

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
We gotta figure out a way to turn their defensive aggression against them.
One way to do that is get to the rim a little more aggressively. One thing I have noticed about when the suns win and when they lose is their intent to get to the rim.