Suns @ Celtics Sunday scrimmage game 7-26-20

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hope the Suns try to find a taker for him this offseason or during the draft. He might fetch a 2nd rounder from someone. Maybe one of his Virginia teammates can help sell him to their team. I know he worked out with De'Andre Hunter during the hiatus. Perhaps the Hawks will take a gamble on him to back up Trae Young. He's got the size to play with him also but that would be an absolutely terrible defensive backcourt, Jerome & Young.

I'd rather see him dealt than see the Suns decline an early option on yet another 1st round selection. It would also open up space to retain Carter, who I still think has a shot of finding a role here.

I'd trade Jerome for a second round pick or be willing to include him in a trade. I was high on him in college but there are too many questions about his athletic ability to turn down a trade.

It looks like there is not going to be much money available this summer. The Suns might want to look to take on some contracts with teams wanting to shed salary. I even heard the mention of teams might be willing to sell first round picks.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd trade Jerome for a second round pick or be willing to include him in a trade. I was high on him in college but there are too many questions about his athletic ability to turn down a trade.

It looks like there is not going to be much money available this summer. The Suns might want to look to take on some contracts with teams wanting to shed salary. I even heard the mention of teams might be willing to sell first round picks.

Jerome is due $2.3 million, which isn't much but that is more than Carter's qualifying offer, which is $1.9 million. You can get half of an undrafted rookie's salary for the difference there also since those deals are roughly $900k. If we're talking money alone then I think it's a no brainer that Carter and a player to be named later would be better to have than Jerome. Especially with money being tight, the extra $2 million that could be freed up by moving him has to be explored.

I do like the Kendall Marshall comparison you made though. He's supposed to be a better shooting version of Marshall but hasn't even shown capable of being that at this stage so he's a slower version. While Marshall lacked athleticism, he wasn't playing in concrete boots.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jerome is due $2.3 million, which isn't much but that is more than Carter's qualifying offer, which is $1.9 million. You can get half of an undrafted rookie's salary for the difference there also since those deals are roughly $900k. If we're talking money alone then I think it's a no brainer that Carter and a player to be named later would be better to have than Jerome. Especially with money being tight, the extra $2 million that could be freed up by moving him has to be explored.

I do like the Kendall Marshall comparison you made though. He's supposed to be a better shooting version of Marshall but hasn't even shown capable of being that at this stage so he's a slower version. While Marshall lacked athleticism, he wasn't playing in concrete boots.

With money tight the Suns might consider letting go of the following: Kaminsky (team option), Okobo (waive), Baynes (FA), Jerome (trade), Diallo (team option) and look for bargains. I'd like to keep Saric for a reasonable salary but his salary should be on the table as well. I know it's not James Jones style but buying a draft pick or two wouldn't hurt.

I was never a fan of Kendall Marshall or Tyler Enis but I thought Jerome's passing, basketball IQ and shooting could compensate for a lack of athleticism. Maybe I was wrong.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Everyone was saying that there is no home court advantage of these games, but i do notice the screens always have something up from the home team.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Not that I think Payne is the best, but at this point I'd rather see Payne get some run with the first unit juist to see what can or can't happen. We knopw with Jerome it ain't happening.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
His defense has improved from awful to merely bad, and he is still rushing his shot, which means a lot of games of 33% from the field.

To use up the #6 overall pick, a future first round pick and a high second round pick to come away with only that, a year of a back-up power forward in Saric and a half year of a back-up center in Baynes is just plain awful.
And yet he is way better then Ty Jerome! LOL! Seriously, pack on some more pounds, he is a servicable BU PF. Or maybe I have seen so many bad back up PFs lately, anyone who is half decent looks like an All Star!

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cam Johnson has a chance to be a quality player. My gosh, he is a rookie who has played well.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Cam Johnson has a chance to be a quality player. My gosh, he is a rookie who has played well.
Not sure he will be a PF, But who knows. I am still in the seventies mind set where you PF was a bruiser!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure he will be a PF, But who knows. I am still in the seventies mind set where you PF was a brusier!

If Cam Johnson does play power forward I'm expecting he would play like a stretch 4 who can play inside a bit sort of like Channing Frye.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We need to dump Jerome, Okobo goes bye bye. Payne might be the best of those mentioned and Carter. He just needs more burn with the team and the legit players, he's the type that will play better with better players around him.