Suns @ Celtics game thread 12-2-17

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On Saturday the Suns visit the Celtics in an early game slated to start at 11 a.m. Arizona time.

Here is a game update from Scott Bordow at azcentral plus more at the link below.

Saturday's game

Suns at Celtics

When: 11 a.m.

Where: TD Garden.

TV/radio: FSAZ/KTAR 98.7 FM.

Update: The Celtics have the best record (19-4) in the NBA despite losing Gordon Hayward the first game of the season with a fractured leg. Kyrie Irving, acquired in an offseason trade with Cleveland, is averaging 23.4 points and 5.2 assists per game. Rookie Jayson Tatum, taken one pick ahead of Phoenix’s Josh Jackson, is averaging 13.7 points per game while shooting 49.3 percent from the field. The Suns could be without center Alex Len, who did not take part in Friday’s practice because of an ankle injury. Interim coach Jay Triano said Friday he had yet to determine his starting lineup.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/spo...triano-boston-celtics-kyrie-irving/914263001/

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is that the same ankle Len had surgery on as a rookie?

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It was his left ankle he had surgery on before his rookie season. I remember all of the concern surrounding that prior to that draft. That could have been why Cleveland didn't select him #1 despite some rumors being out there that they were strongly considering it. He did miss time in his rookie year because of that surgery, since he had it prior to the season starting, but he hasn't had any issue with it since that I can recall. He's had a couple of hand injuries but he's been healthy for the most part since. You always have to worry about foot or ankle injuries with players that are 7 foot & 250+ pounds. Len is listed at only 225 pounds on ESPN.com but that can't be right, I'd believe Bender weighed that much but not Len. Len's size is ideal for a center, in his height, weight, and build but he just hasn't quite put it altogether. He was listed at 250-260 in his draft measurements which seems about right.

Here is a story about the ankle surgery in 2013, it actually answers some questions about why he was drafted by the Suns. He wasn't able to workout for anyone because of his ankle injury, which no doubt hurt his stock during the draft but most likely kept him from being exposed for the player he has been for the last 4 years.

http://www.espn.com/nba/draft2013/story/_/id/9239845/alex-len-miss-all-pre-draft-workouts-surgery

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Well, it was fun while it lasted. Suns and Celtics playing close to even until Boston broke it open in the 4th quarter. They now lead by 15. 'Good show by the Suns vs. the top team in the NBA for most of the game.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
The irony here is that the best way to tank would be to play James, Daniels and Monroe 40 minutes a game.

Those 3 should be called the black hole gang.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Phoenix Suns Stats‏@SunsBballComm 22s23 seconds ago

Devin Booker joins Wilt Chamberlain (five times) and Elgin Baylor as the only players in NBA history to follow up a 70-point performance with 32+ points in their next game against that same opponent

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Suns played a great game. If officiating was even remotely fair, they would hjave won this game by double digits.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Phoenix Suns Stats‏@SunsBballComm 22s23 seconds ago

Devin Booker joins Wilt Chamberlain (five times) and Elgin Baylor as the only players in NBA history to follow up a 70-point performance with 32+ points in their next game against that same opponent

And in other news I became the first person to eat hummus watch the Suns play the Celtics and scratch their butt all at the same time on December 1.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
And in other news I became the first person to eat hummus watch the Suns play the Celtics and scratch their butt all at the same time on December 1.

:lmao: I wondered when someone would finally say something like this.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got home late and started watching Suns highlights. The Suns did a nice job of keeping the game competitive especially since Booker was carrying the load during the first half without much help. Something about Boston Garden makes Booker play extra special.

The Celtics set a good example of how the Suns should build their team. Hit on a couple of draft picks, make a key trade or two and sign a quality free agent. I'm sure McDonough is trying to do just that.

Raze

Suns fan since '89
Reaction score
Suns played a great game. If officiating was even remotely fair, they would hjave won this game by double digits.

It's been a while since I've had the opportunity to complain about officiating. There just hasn't been any reason to. I forgot how bad they can really get. There were about 5 fouls called in the 4th that were phantom at best.

Raze

Suns fan since '89
Reaction score
I get that our team is young and will take time to gel offensively, but defensively? Holy cow we are atrocious. Absolutely embarrassing at times. And I'm not sure they know enough to know that they SHOULD be embarrassed.

Our switches and rotations are extremely late. We don't fill empty space well at all. Our help D is severely lacking. I don't see the defensive intensity you would want from a hungry team man on man. Ugh.

The worst was the play where Smart was wide open and shot the 3, got his own rebound, NO ONE comes out to him, he shoots a 3 again, Horford gets the rebound, NO ONE comes out to him, and he finally drains the 3. Chriss just stood there and watched. It's hard to tell, but I couldn't see any communication on the play. Downright embarrassing.

The Tatum drive at the end was also awful. Josh didn't stay tight on the play AND no one helped him at all. They all just watched him drive the lane for a dunk. At the end of the game.

I'm hoping, someone, somewhere, understands how to get guys to actually TRY on D. I'm hoping Triano can.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
The Celtics set a good example of how the Suns should build their team. Hit on a couple of draft picks, make a key trade or two and sign a quality free agent. I'm sure McDonough is trying to do just that.
I hope that we hope for more than "trying". Seriously! Performance is evaluated based on success or failure over a period of time. There is no in-between.

When you are on the highway, there is no "trying". One is either a safe driver or they're not. You sure wouldn't want to be near the one who is trying. Like an 18 year old with no insurance. (I was rear-ended by one while sitting in traffic on the 51 not too long ago and couldn't care less what he was "trying".)

I appreciate your optimism about the Front Office and like your description of the formula for success. 'Sounds do-able.

Y'know, it is much easier lifting yourself from the bottom than maintaining at the top. When you suck, success draws compliments whereas, at the top, it is taken for granted. But the Suns, over the better part of a decade, have not been able to do that, staffed by inexperienced people.

It is trying! "Trying" on the fans. Giving the Front Office a pass is asking only for continued failure. I cannot be satisfied with that, despite the Suns hanging in there today vs. the Celtics. Not when looking at the big picture.

Last edited:

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
MY MISSION STATEMENT ...

I do not have the time or inclination to follow college basketball teams or their developing players (which is why I appreciate the recaps on this site). Nor do I watch other teams' NBA games.

I am a Suns fan and have been since almost their inception. I love living in the Valley of the Sun and want to feel proud of everything associated with it.

And now, with the general state of our sports teams, especially the Suns, (and the anticipated step-back expected from the D-backs having had JD Martinez as only a rental player), I am disappointed.

Geez. Routing for sports teams is supposed to be an upper, not a downer. :shrug:

3rdside

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I got home late and started watching Suns highlights. The Suns did a nice job of keeping the game competitive especially since Booker was carrying the load during the first half without much help. Something about Boston Garden makes Booker play extra special.

Nice idea but they literally made the greatest trade of all time and we’re not replicating that any time soon. But we do have two first rounders and some assets so there’s hope, I guess.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
MY MISSION STATEMENT ...

I do not have the time or inclination to follow college basketball teams or their developing players (which is why I appreciate the recaps on this site). Nor do I watch other teams' NBA games.

I am a Suns fan and have been since almost their inception. I love living in the Valley of the Sun and want to feel proud of everything associated with it.

And now, with the general state of our sports teams, especially the Suns, (and the anticipated step-back expected from the D-backs having had JD Martinez as only a rental player), I am disappointed.

Geez. Routing for sports teams is supposed to be an upper, not a downer. :shrug:
If your expectation is that your sports team wins then you will only have a positive experience half the time.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

yikes... good hustle boys...

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Leaving Smart open was smart (See what I did there?). He is a terrible shooter and has been struggling. I was OK with Booker leaving him open. Third shot was inexcusable. Chriss should have been all over that one.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
I don’t see how creating a culture of poor effort and bad fundamentals is going to help this team get better. You can draft Jesus Christ next summer and you’re still gonna lose because your organization is just a bunch of losers.