Suns @ Cavaliers Tuesday game thread 5-4-2021

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Bridges peaking during the playoffs would be huge. He just seems to have a confidence this year he didn't have before.
It’s like a baby doe figuring out how to run. His speed has surprised me. And he just looks so much more fluid now. Amazing what confidence can do in allowing a player to play by instinct instead of having to think so much.

Last edited:

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s like baby die figuring out how to run. His speed has surprised me. And he just looks so much more fluid now. Amazing what confidence can do in allowing a player to play by instinct instead of having to think so much.

Bridges is deceptively quick. I don't know how many games this season I have seen him drive to the basket or shoot a lane and wonder where the hell he came from.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bridges is deceptively quick. I don't know how many games this season I have seen him drive to the basket or shoot a lane and wonder where the hell he came from.

It helps that he has a 7'1" wingspan as well. He's one of the rare cases of a young player with a huge wingspan that knows how to use it.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

It also helps when he drives to the basket on the fast break he frequently breaks to the basket laterally instead of running straight down the court. Defenses lose track of him.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@Covert Rain

This is an example. It's almost like running a post pattern in football.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

ArizonaSportsFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Booker was lucky to just have barely grazed the rim. If not, there would have been a bit of time left for a miracle shot.

We had a full 24 seconds to work with and the best thing we can think of is to have Booker dribble the entire shot clock away and shoot a fading corner 3?

It has been and still is so predictable. Teams are ready for it and know whats coming. Are we afraid to set a pick because they'll double booker? Well they're going to do that anyway. At least runs some baseline action. Even when in non crunch time situations, booker hasn't handled double teams well.

At this point i'd settle for an Ayton 10 foot fadeaway.
The only way I would want a pass to Ayton is if it for a lob at the last possible second. I mean, who here would be comfortable with a pass to Ayton with 10 seconds remaining on the clock?

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
Phoenix should be running more end of regulation plays with CP3 with the ball. Booker can still take the shot (Dallas this year is a prime example), but I just trust CP3 to make the right decision if the defense blows the play up which happens more often than not.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The only way I would want a pass to Ayton is if it for a lob at the last possible second. I mean, who here would be comfortable with a pass to Ayton with 10 seconds remaining on the clock?

Yeah, its sarcasm as well as a knock on Ayton because that's his go-to move.

I'm just saying at this point that would be more welcomed than a overdribbling booker last second miss.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The suns do this well, fundamentals, you want to run wide and break at the 3pt line towards the hoop.

Bridges seems to run wide the best and he has those long arms to catch those passes plus of course the speed.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
I'm such a damn Bridges fan boy. He went beast mode in OT.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk
He's easily my favorite on the team. And no joke...... I think he could be Kawhi Leonard level in 3 years.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think the end of game plays is mostly a coaching issue. Monty appears to prefer giving Booker the ball and either let him take the shot or run the time off the clock. Whoever has the ball is going to be doubled. The situation was made worse last night because Booker got trapped in the corner.

The real problem is the Suns do not trust anyone else running time off the clock and executing a last second shot other than Booker. Chris Paul or Cam Payne might be other options.

In any regard, I think the play should be initiated at the top of the key because there are more options.
Hard to believe they don’t trust CP3 in that moment.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I would. If CP3 is making the pass and it is a set play not just an iso situation.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He's easily my favorite on the team. And no joke...... I think he could be Kawhi Leonard level in 3 years.

I don’t think he’s tall enough/athletic enough to be Kawhi. Those two inches Kawhi has (plus the already long arms) enables him to get his shot against anyone, anywhere. Also, Kawhi developed ELITE handles that Bridge is a ways away from.

But if he continues to get more consistent and works on his handles, he can be an All-Star, IMO. And that would be huge for the future of this team.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don’t think he’s tall enough/athletic enough to be Kawhi. Those two inches Kawhi has (plus the already long arms) enables him to get his shot against anyone, anywhere. Also, Kawhi developed ELITE handles that Bridge is a ways away from.

But if he continues to get more consistent and works on his handles, he can be an All-Star, IMO. And that would be huge for the future of this team.

he has a good crossover and strength to drive, huge hands help, but i dont think i put him in in the elite handles category.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was shocked at two things with that shot last night:

1) being double teamed all the way at the top of the key there seemed to ZERO plan for any other player to flash open. The other four players were effectively being guarded by three players. That’s a monty issue.

2) when it became apparent that Booker was just going to dribble around with a wall in front of him no one moved. Bridges remained in place allowing book to dribble his two defenders right over to him, essentially creating three defender wall right in front of the two of them.

it was a starkly disappointing sequence to end regulation.

I rewatched that ending and there is zero movement while Booker has the ball and worse no one is rolling to the basket for a tip in.

That ending is all on Monty.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I think its more likely Bridges becomes an All-Star than Ayton. I don't mean to knock Ayton by saying that either. I just think Mikal is more likely to hit his ceiling than Ayton.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I think its more likely Bridges becomes an All-Star than Ayton. I don't mean to knock Ayton by saying that either. I just think Mikal is more likely to hit his ceiling than Ayton.

The bar is a lot lower for bigs though. Jamaal Magloire was an All-Star one year, the year he posted career highs of 14 and 10. The new position classifications for All-Star selections level this playing field somewhat, but it's still awfully hard to get in as a wing.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

agreed.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The bar is a lot lower for bigs though. Jamaal Magloire was an All-Star one year, the year he posted career highs of 14 and 10. The new position classifications for All-Star selections level this playing field somewhat, but it's still awfully hard to get in as a wing.

this is a good point.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hard to believe they don’t trust CP3 in that moment.

I think the reason they don't use Chris Paul in these last second situations is because if the opponent traps him hard he will not be able to get a shot off. It would likely end in a tie ball or perhaps a turnover.

Booker is more athletic in this regard and his leaping ability almost guarantees him a shot at the basket, albeit even a poor one at times, if he is trapped. The Suns don't seem inclined to pass the ball in these situations because they do not want to risk a turnover.

The Suns have been incredibly good in close games so it's hard to argue the end result.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
#MambaMentality

Seriously though, I agree. His idolization of Kobe really haunts him here in the clutch. Kobe's "clutch" game was not one to emulate. Statistically... he stunk. You look at Kobe in playoff buzzer beater moments and you can find more clips of his teammates tipping in his airball than one can find him winning a game.

The moment doesn't scare Booker... and that is a good thing, but I wish it extended itself to him knowing that a 21 foot, off balance, doubled teamed, jumper is not as good of a shot as a teammate having an uncontested corner 3.

Nah. Kobe has hit plenty game winners in the reg and post season. He’s got 3-4 vs the Suns alone.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Nah. Kobe has hit plenty game winners in the reg and post season. He’s got 3-4 vs the Suns alone.
He was poor statistically. Shot like 30% on game tying and game winning shot attempts. Comparatively MJ shot about 50% in the same situation.