Suns @ Bucks Monday game thread 4-19-2021

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Generally yes, but rarely with 0.3 seconds remaining.

For pretty much every other type of foul, I'd agree, you never know what they're going to notice or ignore as the clock winds down. But for the past few years they've paid very close attention to contact on the shooter's elbow from the 3. You can saw off a limb down low or hip check the perimeter player before the ball gets to the shooter and they'll probably ignore it but a feathery touch on the 3 point shooter's elbow is often called IMO.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow really surprised the ref called that foul. Inconsistent from what I usually see at the end of games.

I kept hearing you could hear the slap on the arm. Maybe that's why the referees made the call.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I wonder if they would have made that call if they hadn't made that crappy timeout call a few minutes earlier.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I wonder if they would have made that call if they hadn't made that crappy timeout call a few minutes earlier.

Difficult to say because they were two different refs, but I'm sure she heard it since it was right in front of her.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I dont remember which quarter it was, but it was kind of a scare when CP3 went out suddenly it seemed, then went to the corner way to end of the bench. I thought he was hurt or some sort of injury. Lets hope he stays healthy.

ArizonaSportsFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Awful game but a win is a win.

Booker was bad despite hitting his numbers. Ayton was huge tonight. Cam and Bridges hit some big shots.

Giannis traveled before the Bucks were granted the timeout, he flopped all night, thankfully the refs were not buying that crap.

I think we should've started Craig over Dario. Dario is either worn down or injured, hopefully Nader comes back soon to improve our depth.
We probably need to shorten the leash on Carter, if he's not hitting his first 3 shots then sub him out, I think Galloway can hustle just as much and spread the floor even more.
He shot neither well nor abysmally, but he did play hard despite his shot. 7 boards and 7 assists, with 3 steals and a block should not be dismissed as "bad", imo.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He shot neither well nor abysmally, but he did play hard despite his shot. 7 boards and 7 assists, with 3 steals and a block should not be dismissed as "bad", imo.

Shooting last night:

9 of 24 overall is 37%
1 of 4 from 3 is 25%
5 of 6 from free throw land is 83%

Not to mention how many times he got blown by, one i think led to an Ayton foul. Steals aren't a true measure of individual defense as well.

He did do well on assists and turnovers though.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Ayton 20/13 on 8 of 11 shooting

Don’t look now but he’s turning into a baller
Agreed! He's been great!

I forgot to mention Bridges with 21 points, 1 rebound, 2 assists and 1 block.

Edit: Give Bridges another assist.
And a huge three down the stretch!

damn right big man!

I’m seeing something on Ayton’s face during this stretch... there is a focus and confidence I’ve never seen. And he’s been unflappable at the line in some big spots at crunch time.

if he can be THIS guy, every night, we have a real shot at this thing... even an outside shot at a healthy Lakers or Nets teams... which I’m starting to become skeptical will even happen.

Agreed. This is the guy that we need!

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Watching book get fouled on YouTube stoned on 4/20 hint hint is a blast!!!

Amazing w still shocked suns won that 1 if it went double ot who knows with gian might come back thank god it didn't lol

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Watching book get fouled on YouTube stoned on 4/20 hint hint is a blast!!!

Amazing w still shocked suns won that 1 if it went double ot who knows with gian might come back thank god it didn't lol

happy 4/20, one hour to go for you 4:20

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
I kept hearing you could hear the slap on the arm. Maybe that's why the referees made the call.
The final foul was an interesting situation. The foul call was on Tucker and there was undeniable video evidence that he hit Book's elbow with his own. However, there were those who heard a slap on the arm. Well, if so, it came from Holiday as the elbow to elbow video evidence wouldn't sound like that.

I watched the Bucks' broadcast initially. They showed the foul by Tucker. I then went back and watched the last quarter plus of the Suns' broadcast. EJ thought the foul was on Holiday and didn't seem to notice the foul call was on Tucker as the game ended. Even going into the post game with Tom & Tom, EJ mentioned the final "foul on Holiday." Maybe they both got him. Who knows. If so, the Holiday foul was well hidden or they just didn't have the right camera angle.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The final foul was an interesting situation. The foul call was on Tucker and there was undeniable video evidence that he hit Book's elbow with his own. However, there were those who heard a slap on the arm. Well, if so, it came from Holiday as the elbow to elbow video evidence wouldn't sound like that.

I watched the Bucks' broadcast initially. They showed the foul by Tucker. I then went back and watched the last quarter plus of the Suns' broadcast. EJ thought the foul was on Holiday and didn't seem to notice the foul call was on Tucker as the game ended. Even going into the post game with Tom & Tom, EJ mentioned the final "foul on Holiday." Maybe they both got him. Who knows. If so, the Holiday foul was well hidden or they just didn't have the right camera angle.

The more I watch the video, it looks like Holiday slapped Booker's left arm.

That would have created a nice slapping sound as well.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Superbone

Reaction score
The more I watch the video, it looks like Holiday slapped Booker's left arm.

That would have created a nice slapping sound as well.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
It is. That's what I'm saying. The elbow to elbow doesn't make a slapping sound. Watching this over and over, I'm convinced they both got him. But the foul was ruled against Tucker who actually got him after the slap. I mean it was bang bang. Arm slap, elbow.

So, he got fouled twice. A foul was called. Game.

One angle shows the Holiday slap. The other shows the Tucker elbow.

Another foul missed in all of this was on the play before when Middleton tied the game with a three. Tucker came out and set an illegal screen on Book and shoved him with two hands. He had to scramble to get back just in time to put a hand up as Middleton tied the game on a three.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score

He was fouled by both players on the play and not just on the arm. They both hit his left arm as he was going up, but Tucker also undercut Booker while he was in the air which is a foul as well.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is. That's what I'm saying. The elbow to elbow doesn't make a slapping sound. Watching this over and over, I'm convinced they both got him. But the foul was ruled against Tucker who actually got him after the slap. I mean it was bang bang. Arm slap, elbow.

So, he got fouled twice. A foul was called. Game.

One angle shows the Holiday slap. The other shows the Tucker elbow.

Another foul missed in all of this was on the play before when Middleton tied the game with a three. Tucker came out and set an illegal screen on Book and shoved him with two hands. He had to scramble to get back just in time to put a hand up as Middleton tied the game on a three.

Yeah, Tucker got Booker elbow to elbow but Holiday fouled him first and it was more clear to me.

If it wasn't for the slapping sound I doubt either gets called.

Superbone

Reaction score
He was fouled by both players on the play and not just on the arm. They both hit his left arm as he was going up, but Tucker also undercut Booker while he was in the air which is a foul as well.
That's a good point too. He was under his landing zone but then moved before he came down. Is that legal? But I now see that he might have clipped Book's right leg while he was in the air too.

ETA: Yeah, just watched it a few more times. Book's right foot gets knocked back by Tucker while Book is in the air.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
After many viewings, I now see three fouls. One by Holiday and two by Tucker. Slap, elbow, foot. It would have been a travesty had a foul not been called. Gotta give it up for the young ref.
This is how I saw it as well. Probably wouldn't be too happy with the call if it was the other way, but that doesn't stop that from being a foul.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Book got slapped by Jrue (Monty said he heard it) and then bumped by PJ. It was clearly a foul and a shot impeding foul at that. I freely admit that it one they usually ignore at the end of a game------

but they shouldn't. A foul is a foul. The game should not change in the last minute and players should not expect it to change. Kudos to a gutsy ref.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose