Suns at Heat Game Thread

Hat

Return of the Dragon!
Reaction score
It was a good win, in fact, a very tough one. I am quite happy how our defense is shaping up, much better than it was in years past. Teams cannot do the PnR against us like in years past. However I am concerned with 3 things so far:

1.) TO's - Hopefully these will go down over the course of the season. I am not expecting anything low because of the fast offense, but something around 8-10 will be much better.

2.) Free throw shooting - absolutely abysmal. They need to have a practice that just focuses on this.

3.) Minutes - Vets (Nash & Hill) are playing some very high minutes. I think this is the 3rd game Nash has had over 35 mins. Amare is close to playing 40 mins a game.

Last edited:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
It was a good win, in fact, a very tough one. I am quite happy how our defense is shaping up, much better than it was in years past. Teams cannot do the PnR against us like in years past. However I am concerned with 3 things so far:

1.) TO's - Hopefully these will go down over the course of the season. I am not expecting anything low because of the fast offense, but something around 8-10 will be much better.

2.) Free throw shooting - absolutely abissmal. They need to have a practice that just focuses on this.

3.) Minutes - Vets (Nash & Hill) are playing some very high minutes. I think this is the 3rd game Nash has had over 35 mins. Amare is close to playing 40 mins a game.

To be fair, Nash played the entire 3rd quarter because he just could not miss. I know we'd like him to have an extra 2 or 3 minutes of rest, but if one guy single-handedly brings us back in a tough game, we gotta stick with him. This isn't going to happen every game.

As far as Grant, one of the theories out there is in years, Hill is old, but physically, he's several years younger because he simply hasn't played that much in 5 years (before the Suns). I don't know if that's the case, but he is in pretty amazing physical shape, like Nash.

Sovereignz

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not worried about the minutes with Grant and Nash.. I mean really, with as much conditioning as those guys have, when it's all said and done does playing 33 minutes a night at the end of the season versus 36 make that big a difference?

The only impact it has, imo, is at the end of games when Nash is tired but that's something we've had to deal with for years now but more often than not he still comes up big when things are on the line.

Orlando got a raw deal tonight with some bad officiating and a tough loss, they're going to come out blazing tomorrow.. should be interesting.

Treesquid PhD

Pardon my Engrish
Reaction score
4-0, I am not going to nitpick, this team has a lot going for it, Amare isn't in shape yet, that will come, health will be a huge factor and hoping foamy don't screw this nice little team up.

Hat

Return of the Dragon!
Reaction score
I'm not worried about the minutes with Grant and Nash.. I mean really, with as much conditioning as those guys have, when it's all said and done does playing 33 minutes a night at the end of the season versus 36 make that big a difference?

The only impact it has, imo, is at the end of games when Nash is tired but that's something we've had to deal with for years now but more often than not he still comes up big when things are on the line.

Orlando got a raw deal tonight with some bad officiating and a tough loss, they're going to come out blazing tomorrow.. should be interesting.

Both teams are going to be tired by the 4th quarter. One thing going for the Suns is that Vince Carter is out with an injury (yeh, huge shocker :sarcasm:)

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

Seconded. Nothing against Jrich, but if the Suns could get the bulk of his contract off the books next season while getting someone able to contribute some this year you have to pull the trigger.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
FT shooting is horrific. We are leaving 5-10 points per game on the floor just by being sloppy. Dragic at 1-8??? Come on man! Its mostly the bench guys. Amundson always stinks it up from the line. Dudley is unreliable. Barbosa has been injured, so naturally he's off.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Scott Williams must be distracted by the Miami Women tonight because he can't get a sentence out straight....

Ha, maybe you haven't noticed, but it's a regular occurance. He is the worst analyst I can remember. I'm glad Thunder Dan is considered a decent coach, although he is sorely missed in the announcing booth.

Budden

Registered
Reaction score
To be fair, Nash played the entire 3rd quarter because he just could not miss. I know we'd like him to have an extra 2 or 3 minutes of rest, but if one guy single-handedly brings us back in a tough game, we gotta stick with him. This isn't going to happen every game.

As far as Grant, one of the theories out there is in years, Hill is old, but physically, he's several years younger because he simply hasn't played that much in 5 years (before the Suns). I don't know if that's the case, but he is in pretty amazing physical shape, like Nash.

I think we should all just accept that we're never going to solve the whole "Nash needs his rest" dilemma. Through the first four games of the season, Steve Nash is the MVP of the league. I've been surprised by how well Dragic has played, but this team is really nothing without Steve Nash. He's truly amazing. I mean, you can look at his second half stat line: 25 points on 9-11 shooting from the field, 5 or 6 assists, 3 3's, etc. and you might say to yourself (without watching the game): "wow, Nash played really well!" But that stat line barely hints at the impact that he had on the game. As the announcers kept saying, this was a game of runs, and virtually every time the Heat extended their lead, it was Nash who stopped the bleeding, it was Nash who sewed the stitches, and it was Nash who (metaphorically speaking) cured the Swine Flu and transmuted the virus into a rack of babyback ribs. Say what you want about Nash playing 36 minutes, but having him play any less wouldn't only have been a bad decision, it would've been downright Porter. (btw, whenever someone makes a terrible, terrible decision that is objectively wrong, I'm going to use the word "Porter". I dunno why, but it just fits so perfectly....)

And as for Grant Hill, we've really only seen the guy worn down once during his tenure with the Suns, and that was when he was forced to miss a few weeks with the appendectomy two seasons ago. This guy is like a finely tuned automobile. When the engine is purring beautifully, you don't say, "OK, she's running just right, so to make sure we don't screw anything up, let's turn the car off and put it in the garage." If Grant getting worn down was a real problem, do you honestly think that he'd be one of the first Suns players to show up during the offseason for informal workouts? You don't rest Grant Hill or Steve Nash on the first night of a back-to-back so they'll be ready for the game the following night. You play them. You don't limit their minutes so that everytime they enter the game they're stiff from an extended period of inactivity. You play them.

And one more thing: I'm happy to see that Dragic looks better, but it's not going to take long at all for defenses to adjust to this guy, and I'm not sure how we're going to be able to adapt to that. You put a long, athletic defender on Dragic, and it won't be difficult to force him to start the offense trapped in the corner at half court as seconds tick off the shot clock. I think that, because he was the worst player in the league last year (unless Jerome James was on an active roster somewhere), our first 4 opponents haven't paid him any attention. But he still handles the ball like a small forward when he gets put in any pressure.

Blackification

Registered
Reaction score
As the announcers kept saying, this was a game of runs, and virtually every time the Heat extended their lead, it was Nash who stopped the bleeding, it was Nash who sewed the stitches, and it was Nash who (metaphorically speaking) cured the Swine Flu and transmuted the virus into a rack of babyback ribs
Nash had a great game and all but I don't think thats a fair statement to make. Yes nash had a huge impact but so many times it was hill who said enough chucking threes im going to drive and draw a foul, and it was dudley and amundsun making the hustle plays, and even that key stretch in the 4th quarter where collins and amare teamed up and shut things down, down low. Nash hit many great shots but he didn't stop the bleeding they stopped it with teamwork and team defense. Everyone gave a pretty damn good effort tonight.

cly2tw

Reaction score
Nash had a great game and all but I don't think thats a fair statement to make. Yes nash had a huge impact but so many times it was hill who said enough chucking threes im going to drive and draw a foul, and it was dudley and amundsun making the hustle plays, and even that key stretch in the 4th quarter where collins and amare teamed up and shut things down, down low. Nash hit many great shots but he didn't stop the bleeding they stopped it with teamwork and team defense. Everyone gave a pretty damn good effort tonight.

Like Amare learning to play better defense, Nash has yet to learn not to force the passes and "sharing the wealth" thing too much against good defensive teams. He has been most helpful with this scoring lately, despite the 20 assist game early on. We got ourselves into a hole with our TOs mainly from Nash in the 1st half. It looked like the Heats players were faster and more athletic than ours, and outplayed us in the open court. Well, LB being out didn't help.

Though neither JRich nor Hill was good at scoring with the ball in their hands this game, Amare did well and made great decisions. So, we need to give it to the 3 more those looks and Nash could take some rest from handling ball and shoot more.

TBaslim

Planet Orange
Reaction score
Great game. The team is really playing nicely! Hustle, effort, playing together to reach team goals. Very good stuff! The best part (even more than the early wins) is the vibe on the court. Just 180 degrees from last year. Body language is better, effort, everything. The team is fun to watch again, which is pretty important if they are rebuilding and not officially 'in contention'.

Amare is actually making effort on defense, and having some results! Totally impressed with him on this front. Sure, he's not a great defender, but him actually trying makes a real positive impact on the floor on that end. I just hope he keeps up the focus and intensity after his offensive game rounds back into form over the next few weeks. I keep waiting for the light bulb to go on for him that a) being a better defender and rebounder just takes plain hard work over time, which he already has shown he can do when he built a great outside jumpshot, and b) that he will not be considered the superstar he wants to be until he gets better on D. If he figures that out and keeps working? Look out in a year or so.

Grant Hill - what can you say? He's a legend and phenomenal signing by the Suns. Bag on Kerr with good reason for other things, but it's a coup that the Suns have a healthy Hill for what they are paying. The sports car analogy someone mentioned was so right for him. Just keep him healthy, Suns Trainers! Please!

I am also so happy that we actually have a real bench and that Gentry plays them! So impressed with Gentry's rotations so far. He is constantly switching guys out, keeping the other team on their toes with new looks, keeping the players awake and focused on the game. Not sure if this will hold up all year, but it's fun to watch right now.

Also, Gentry is actually using timeouts effectively. I loved Mike D, but his timeouts (or lack of them) during runs by the other team used to drive me nuts. Gentry seems to have a good handle on the game flow and is calling timely breaks to try to regroup and regain momentum. Nice to see.

Finally, how about Steve Nash? The guy is just amazing. Seriously. Not knowing about any hot start to the season, and figuring they would lose a bunch of games this year, I still budgeted for League Pass Broadband, just to watch Nash play. I don't think people realize how good he still is, and how much of an all-time great Hall of Famer he will be remembered as down the road. Sure, the styles are different, but it's like having KJ or Stockton or Magic or any of the great generational PGs in their primes. You just have to watch because you will miss it when it's gone. His play the second half of the 3rd and the 4th in this Heat game was a prime example.

That's why I just don't get the Nash-bashers around here. If you don't like it, follow another team, because he is the hall-of-fame engine of the Phoenix Suns for a few more years. And 2 out of 3 experts agree the product tastes great and is less filling, so learn to live with it. :)

Last edited:

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
What was up with Earl Clark? I just realized that he didn't even play. Was it just a bad matchup?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson