Suns @ 76ers Monday game thread 11-7-2022

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry that is just BS.

Ayton and Bridges have both steadily improved every year. You always just want to attack them when we are losing.
Ayton is averaging 15/7 this year.

Bridges is averaging 14/5.

And I don’t just attack them while losing. I am consistently disappointed that guys who got 120 and 90 million dollars continue to basically be the same guys they were prior to signing those deals.

And their games are EXACTLY what they were last year, if not slightly worse.

You are watching in a different universe if you think those guys are improving in any meaningful way.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns would have won if someone would have guarded Niang. The 76ers have the worst bench in the NBA.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They would have won if either of our high priced softies showed up with Booker. He and Lee were the only ones who brought it tonight.

I will give Payne some credit off the bench as well. Lee (10) and Payne (14) were the Suns bench except (2) from Landale.

Craig has to provide more than 3 points and 1 rebound as the starting power forward.

Shamet didn't make a shot all night.

James Jones needs to get some players that can contribute soon.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chris Paul doesn't see the sore right heel as a prolonged problem.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Georges Niang is a good three point shooter. I don't understand giving him good looks.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Monty says the Suns didn't have the juice tonight.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
DA has to figure out a way to stay on the court more than 26 minutes per game. His fouling is a problem as is his 15.7 ppg and 7.9 rebounds.
This season he just flat out sucks. No two ways about it. Got paid and now we are seeing our worst nightmare about him. Working his way towards Benoit benjamindom.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I'm sorry that is just BS.

Ayton and Bridges have both steadily improved every year. You always just want to attack them when we are losing.
Neither has improved this year. And Ayton has regressed tremendously.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns have to field a stronger front line against teams like the 76ers.

It's hard to expect Ayton to compensate for the likes of Joel Embiid, Tobias Harris and PJ Tucker.

Torrey Craig only had 3 points and 1 rebound.

Suns may have to think about starting Landale or Biz at power forward. Saric only played 3 minutes.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Regressed? He’s basically playing the same as last year. Curious about your definition of regressed.
My definition of regression is worse scoring and rebounding and playing defense without racking up fouls at a light year pace.

Last year, he averaged 17.2/10.2 on 63% shooting with 1.6 turnovers.

This year he’s at 15.7/7.8 on 58% shooting and 2.3 turnovers.

he’s down across the board in almost every stat. No one said it was a huge regression, but he’s that’s definite regression, which is really disappointing (but sadly, not surprising) when the hope is that he actually took at a step forward.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I might get more wrapped up in criticizing Ayton, but there are so many other problems the Suns have.

It's so much more than him. At least the Suns have depth at center.

Where are the shooters and the power forwards?

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I was hoping Shamet would come around but he can't buy a bucket, open or not. More times not, we he has his body leaning.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
My definition of regression is worse scoring and rebounding and playing defense without racking up fouls at a light year pace.

Last year, he averaged 17.2/10.2 on 63% shooting with 1.6 turnovers.

This year he’s at 15.7/7.8 on 58% shooting and 2.3 turnovers.

he’s down across the board in almost every stat. No one said it was a huge regression, but he’s that’s definite regression, which is really disappointing (but sadly, not surprising) when the hope is that he actually took at a step forward.

I don’t know, after only 10 games it just seems like one of the lesser things to complain about.

The foul trouble to me is the most concerning—because that leads to what we’re seeing. If he wasn’t in foul trouble so much, we almost certainly see better numbers.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don’t know, after only 10 games it just seems like one of the lesser things to complain about.

The foul trouble to me is the most concerning—because that leads to what we’re seeing. If he wasn’t in foul trouble so much, we almost certainly see better numbers.
For me, A guy who just signed a MAX deal regressing when he should take a step forward seems like a pretty legit thing to me be concerned about, but to each their own.

Just to continue the convo, what do believe are the more pressing things to be concerned about, outside of injury, which players have no control over?

CP3 looks pretty washed. That’s a concern. The lack of shooting/PFs are a concern for sure.

I just think Ayton’s regressing as our second most important player is a bigger concern because it’s something that effects not only the present but the future as well.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Player personnel is one of the issues. The Suns have a vacant roster spot and one player that wants to be traded.

Duane Washington Jr. and Ish Wainright remain out for personal reasons.

That's potentially four players that could contribute.

Of course, Cam Johnson is recovering from surgery.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The foul by Joel Embiid on Damion Lee has been upgraded to a flagrant 1.

Lee asked for it but didn't get the call.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Regressed? He’s basically playing the same as last year. Curious about your definition of regressed.
Basic numbers, chap. Look at his numbers this year and last.

2pts/game less
2.4rebs/game less
.7 more TOs/game
1.5 more fouls/game
.053 worse eFG%
.067 worse 2FG%
Playing almost 4 mins less per night because of stupid fouls

Other than his .4/.8 3 pointers per game he’s worse across the board. And defensively too.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

Maybe. But a drop of 2 1/2 rebounds in 4 less minutes? That’s not just fewer minutes. He isn’t playing 25% fewer minutes. And those fouls also mean his defense is worse. And it is by the eye test.

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The season is still early and DA has been injured a couple of times so far, missing a couple games, so I think the hysteria is a bit premature.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The season is still early and DA has been injured a couple of times so far, missing a couple games, so I think the hysteria is a bit premature.
I hate posts like these. Saying he’s regressed isn’t hysteria and projrcting that kind of hyperbole on others arguments only serves to derail legit conversation.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We've only played 8 games and he got hurt minutes into one of them.

My eyes tell me he hasn't regressed... he's merely the same. He plays good D, solid on the glass, baby soft on offense.

The only real jump is fouls.

Our team as a whole needs to get better at working the refs. I don't think the refs have it out for us (except Scott Foster maybe) but I think we've got a bunch of guys that freaking suck at communicating with them on the level that can earn you the benefit of the doubt on close calls. Ayton rolls his eyes or just shrugs like "what?" when he feels like he got jobbed, he needs to be a lot more forceful in pleading his case, especially with some of the dog crap he gets called for, but he doesn't really do anything with much gusto, so I doubt the situation will change. Booker is possibly even worse at working the refs... he's improved somewhat but his habit of whacking an opposing player if he thinks a foul was missed on the other end is his worst trait. "He did it first" is not going to win you any points with the refs.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Eight games is too small of a sample size to determine anything but it certainly doesn't look promising.

I might add, Ayton is not getting much help at the forward positions so defenses can better limit what he does.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Eight games is too small of a sample size to determine anything but it certainly doesn't look promising.

I might add, Ayton is not getting much help at the forward positions so defenses can better limit what he does.
No defense forced him to go up downy soft repeatedly last night in the fourth quarter.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose