Summer of 2020 Suns Cap Situation

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If everything happens as planned right now the Suns have about $50,000 in cap space next summer.

Subtract from that whatever Oubre signs for--I am expecting around $15 million. So they will effectively have $35 million in cap space. It is not a good year for free agents, but there will be a few decent players available, and you never know what might happen during the year.

They will have decisions to make regarding Saric and Baynes of course.

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/...d-by-anthony-davis-draymond-green-kyle-lowry/

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I am thinking our next moves will be via trade.
They have to start winning games and get a little reputation built. If a core of Rubio/Booker/Oubre/Ayton builds some success, it will be easier to sell other players as free agents. But even in trades, you hope a player wants to be here.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Wins fix a LOT of problems. Booker happy. Get more free agents. Fans happy.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Who knows how he'll look by the time next summer rolls around, by based on recency, I think Ibaka would be a good fit. A 3 and D version of a power forward, good transition player.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I do not even think there is a point to speculating about free agents next summer. It’s just interesting to know what kind of money will be available. Of course, we could wipe that all away if we trade Tyler some time this year.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If we have somewhere in the neighborhood of $30 million in cap space though I think we should do what Atlanta has this year and rent it out for draft assets. We've given up all the assets that McD acquired this offseason and now we would come up short in a bidding war for any difference maker unless we parted with a member of our core. We can add some draft picks by taking on a bad contract or two though.

If this offseason's moves work out well, we shouldn't have any big holes to fill. We'll need a PF for the future but we may have found a decent stop gap in Saric, it depends on how much he'll cost to keep around. He'll be restricted next summer though and I can't see the market for him being that big.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Call me crazy, but I almost hope that Oubre only signs for the QO. That way the team can see if he really has grown and taken off or if last seasons spurt was an outlier.

What I think the darksiders on this board are missing is that the Suns likely believe that the core is Booker, Ayton, and Oubre, and that adding another star would just confuse things. Let those three grow with legitimate NBA players around them.

As far as the cap goes, what I think is likely to happen is that the Suns make a big move at the trade deadline. Picks and Johnsons contact to a team that decides to rebuild.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Call me crazy, but I almost hope that Oubre only signs for the QO. That way the team can see if he really has grown and taken off or if last seasons spurt was an outlier.

What I think the darksiders on this board are missing is that the Suns likely believe that the core is Booker, Ayton, and Oubre, and that adding another star would just confuse things. Let those three grow with legitimate NBA players around them.

As far as the cap goes, what I think is likely to happen is that the Suns make a big move at the trade deadline. Picks and Johnsons contact to a team that decides to rebuild.
I am thinking he will improve. I look at most teams want cost certainty. I think, without seeing the contract yet, that we will be purchasing low. If it is a good number, maybe we can lock in five years.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score

You're crazy. ;)

I would hate for Oubre to play on a QO this year as that means as an unrestricted free agent he is almost certainly gone next year. Why would he come back to the team that wasn't willing to make an investment on him just the year prior?

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
You're crazy. ;)

I would hate for Oubre to play on a QO this year as that means as an unrestricted free agent he is almost certainly gone next year. Why would he come back to the team that wasn't willing to make an investment on him just the year prior?

Indeed.

Also known as the "Joe Johnson Effect."

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Absolutely not. Oubre is going to be a borderline all-star at some point--one of those players that you can make the argument he should be on the team even if he isnt. Players that sign the QO almost always leave and there are huge limitations in trades etc. It is a bad situation.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Absolutely not. Oubre is going to be a borderline all-star at some point--one of those players that you can make the argument he should be on the team even if he isnt. Players that sign the QO almost always leave and there are huge limitations in trades etc. It is a bad situation.
That’s a lot of certainty on a guy whose original team didn’t want to take a second contract risk and who only showed a relatively short spurt of successful play and who wasn’t heavily targeted during the spending spree in which RFA actually moved.

I like Oubre. And I think this offseason is either treading in water or a disaster if we don’t resign him. But to state he is “. . . going to be a borderline all-star at some point--one of those players that you can make the argument he should be on the team even if he isn't” is making a huge leap. He is not close to a sure thing. In fact, at present, his contract is likely going to be the biggest gamble this team makes.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
That’s a lot of certainty on a guy whose original team didn’t want to take a second contract risk and who only showed a relatively short spurt of successful play and who wasn’t heavily targeted during the spending spree in which RFA actually moved.

I like Oubre. And I think this offseason is either treading in water or a disaster if we don’t resign him. But to state he is “. . . going to be a borderline all-star at some point--one of those players that you can make the argument he should be on the team even if he isn't” is making a huge leap. He is not close to a sure thing. In fact, at present, his contract is likely going to be the biggest gamble this team makes.
I think worst case he will be a sixth man candidate player, if not a starter for us. Depends on Bridges upside.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

You are right. I should have said, "I think Oubre . . ." It probably came across more certain than I really am. I do have a higher level of confidence than I would with most other players, but it is still not certain.

I do think it would be better to just let Oubre walk than have him play on the QO. That just creates a year of uncertainty and bad blood while he waits to go. There is no point in letting that happen. If he wants to sign somewhere else, work out a sign and trade for something.

Last edited:

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score

There are multiple reasons why they decided not to keep him around. For starters they didn't believe they could afford to keep him around because of the big salaries to guys like Wall, Beal and Porter Jr. They also likely felt that Porter Jr and Oubre were similar style of players and didn't want to invest that much money against their cap in two somewhat redundant players.

I am speculating here, but I believe had they given Oubre the opportunity to start and play big minutes like the Suns did they would probably feel differently about keeping him around at this point.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
There are multiple reasons why they decided not to keep him around. For starters they didn't believe they could afford to keep him around because of the big salaries to guys like Wall, Beal and Porter Jr. They also likely felt that Porter Jr and Oubre were similar style of players and didn't want to invest that much money against their cap in two somewhat redundant players.

I am speculating here, but I believe had they given Oubre the opportunity to start and play big minutes like the Suns did they would probably feel differently about keeping him around at this point.
It doesn’t make sense that they traded him away for a similar but older player in ariza. Both were going to be free agents. Was it a salary dump of Rivers?

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
It doesn’t make sense that they traded him away for a similar but older player in ariza. Both were going to be free agents. Was it a salary dump of Rivers?
They didn't believe they would be able to afford to keep Oubre around and they were desperate to make a move to try and save their season. They traded for Ariza in the hopes that he would bring some much needed leadership to their team and help them win more games. Which seems kind of ironic considering how terrible of a job Ariza seemed to do as a leader for the Suns. Rivers was all about making the salaries work and I also believe they wanted to dump Rivers as well, but I'm not sure on that part.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
They wanted to get Rivers off that team badly.

The Wizards adding Dwight Howard and Austin Rivers to an already toxic locker room was like inviting Donald Trump to a Mexican themed party, in that you couldn’t have found a worse person to throw into the existing dynamic.

https://basketballforever.com/2018/11/02/whos-more-screwed-the-rockets-cavs-wizards-or-wolves

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

If I recall correctly the Wizards were going to get a couple of second round picks before the Grizzlies backed out of the trade.

I think the reason the trade was completed was because it had already been made public.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

Treading in water? Dude, I respect your opinion a lot usually, but I think you are way off on this offseason.

The Suns are significantly better right now. Its debatable on if every move maximized resources, but the Suns are better.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave