Suicide Squad

Discussion in 'Movies and Entertainment' started by Brian in Mesa, Oct 16, 2014.

1. BillsCarnage

BillsCarnage Registered

yeah, the reboot comment was somewhat sarcastic. I know they're making money so they'll keep chuggin along and with Snyder at some capacity too.

2. Stout

Stout Hold onto the ball, Murray!

Not so. They said they need to make something like 700-800 mill just to break even with Suicide Squad. I'm not sure why--maybe marketing costs or whatever--but will they even reach that?

3. BillsCarnage

BillsCarnage Registered

I always thought movies needed to make double, worldwide, the production budget to break even.

Either way the Fri/Sat drop off is quite high given they hype.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=daily&id=dc2016.htm

Last edited: Aug 12, 2016
  4. Covert Rain

Covert Rain Father smelt of elderberries!

Keep in mind that BvS even though it made a chunk of change still sent the studio execs into panic mode about this movie and the future of DC properties (shakeup). So, if this movie performs in a similar fashion it will be interesting to see what is next.

JL is going to be a train wreck considering who is at the helm. Honestly, the only potential bright spots is going to be Batfleck's movie and maybe WW.

If BvS sent the studio into panic mode, I would have to imagine they might be thinking more drastic measures are needed if the next couple perform at the same level.

5. cheesebeef

cheesebeef Registered User Contributor

it's on pace right now with Deadpool and has had bigger tues/wed/thurs then any Civil War/Deadpool/Bats v. Supes. It'll end up 300 million at least domestic, and i'm betting tops out at 7-800 worldwide. Have to believe that more then breaks even especially when ancillary markets haven't even started coming in. As bad as this movie is, it's making a ton of moolah.

6. BillsCarnage

BillsCarnage Registered

You're betting, eh? Didn't you learn your lesson last time? :D

I'd be mighty surprised if it passes $700mill. It dropped 40% on its second day; that's worse than BvS - not even remotely close to Deadpool 10% or Civil War 19% - and the characters aren't nearly as popular with the general public. Notoriety is what BvS had going for it.

It's like a lead brick.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2016
  7. Covert Rain

Deadpool had a budget of $58 Million to $175 million for Suicide Squad. So even if the box office ends up being close, it's still not even close.

8. Stout

Bingo.

9. Chaplin

Chaplin Better off silent

10. Covert Rain

11. cheesebeef

cheesebeef Registered User Contributor

Maybe. It held up very well during the week against all the others, but definitely dropped like a rock this weekend.

Still think it scratches or gets close to 300 million domestic which is still impressive considering it's mostly made up of characters the general public doesn't have a clue about save the Joker.

12. MadCardDisease

MadCardDisease Moderator Contributor

Yep. I saw this with my daughter on Sunday. She really wanted to see it because all of her friends did. I wasn't that interested in seeing it as DC Comics sucks for the most part at translating their movies to the big screen(aside from The Dark Knight). I think DC Comics fails at making their movies fun. They take themselves way to seriously and forget that their movies are based off of simple comic books.

Suicide Squad tries to be a fun movie. However the plot was just incredibly stupid, as were several of the characters. For me the Joker was a mess. They should have just cut him out entirely instead of leaving just fragments of what was originally filmed. He became a random distraction.

Could have been a really good movie but again it fell kind of flat for me with a stupid story line and jokes that for me fell flat. Marvel just has that magic sauce and knows how to deliver a fun movie. DC Comics just continually trips over their own feet.

13. MadCardDisease

MadCardDisease Moderator Contributor

Yep never underestimate the power of the younger teen viewers to keep a bad movie afloat. My daughter "just had to see this movie" because all of her friends in Jr High said it was "so good".

After the movie she said it was one of her top 3 favorite movies. Most likely because the other kids as school said so. Then again I used to think that Commando was the greatest movie of all time when I was her age. LOL

So I let her enjoy her movie and didn't burst her bubble.

14. Stout

I hope you still hold that opinion, or I will make you 'let off some steam' :)

Beaver and MadCardDisease like this.
  15. BigRedRage

BigRedRage Reckless Contributor

Commando was awesome I mean, where else do you see a man carry a whole tree down a mountain?