Student Loans

HeavyB3

Unregistered User
Reaction score
Well, it's come time for me to pay off my student loans. One loan was a private loan with a rediculous 10% interest and I couldn't consolodate it. The other consolodated loan is the problem. I can't remember who the hell I consolodated it with. I've been trying to figure it out but can't. I did it online and can't find any of the crap they sent me. I thought it was through the US Dept of Education, but that one was payed off already through the consolodation. Any suggestions?

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
College Loan Corporation 1-888-972-6311

You can find it online, or call.

former user 1

Registered
Reaction score
Ugh, student loans suck. lol I've still got about five grand to pay. Four grand through College Foundation, Inc. and the other one grand to the school itself. Good luck with getting them paid off.

OP
OP
HeavyB3

HeavyB3

Unregistered User
Reaction score
Ugh, student loans suck. lol I've still got about five grand to pay. Four grand through College Foundation, Inc. and the other one grand to the school itself. Good luck with getting them paid off.

Yeah... I have like 30k.. I'm a teacher so i'll be lucky to ever pay them off

former user 1

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah... I have like 30k.. I'm a teacher so i'll be lucky to ever pay them off

I get stressed out thinking about my 5 grand I couldn't imagine having 30 grand. Yeah, I think teachers get the shaft, just like daycare workers. I worked at a daycare once years ago. I worked from 5am until 7pm with no break, and I only made $5.15/hour. That job didn't last long (1 week) and shortly after I left, they were shut down by the county.

Good luck with paying your loan off as well. It's sad that just to get an education we're immediately in debt.

OP
OP
HeavyB3

HeavyB3

Unregistered User
Reaction score
I get stressed out thinking about my 5 grand I couldn't imagine having 30 grand. Yeah, I think teachers get the shaft, just like daycare workers. I worked at a daycare once years ago. I worked from 5am until 7pm with no break, and I only made $5.15/hour. That job didn't last long (1 week) and shortly after I left, they were shut down by the county.

Good luck with paying your loan off as well. It's sad that just to get an education we're immediately in debt.

Or that to give an education, you can never get out of debt.

Linderbee

Let's GO, CARDINALS!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I want to start legislation that teacher's student loan repayment goes on hold as long as they're teaching (public school, not private), and if they teach for 10 years, it's completely wiped clean...that'd be cool.

Linderbee

Let's GO, CARDINALS!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good luck with that. Teachers get no respect from the government, both democrats and republicans.

:( I respect teachers.....

Linda for President!! :)

I know they don't, but they should. I mean, there are lots of gov't jobs that they have tuition reimbursement & whatnot for...I think educating our country is just as important as serving our country (military).

well, fwiw, I think you are great for being a teacher.

former user 1

Registered
Reaction score
I want to start legislation that teacher's student loan repayment goes on hold as long as they're teaching (public school, not private), and if they teach for 10 years, it's completely wiped clean...that'd be cool.

Even though I am not a teacher and have no desire to be a teacher (nothing wrong with teaching, just not for me) I think that would be awesome! :thumbup:

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bryan,

If you still live at home and don't have a lot of other debt (car payments, credit cards, etc) - $30k should not take too long to pay off. Just live on a budget and get serious about paying it off.

If you don't teach during the summer, you can always do something else to make money and use that toward the loans.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
tutoring is a good way to make extra $$

also not sure why any teacher would go into so much debt for undergrad ($30k) - teaching HS or the grades out here it really doesn't matter where you get your paper from - if I was going into teaching I would do in state community college and then undergrad

the masters is more expensive and there is no way around it, so take as little hit as possible on the undergrad

also don't understand why teachers need to get masters degrees for everystep they take - for example a teacher with a masters & doctorate in english instruction would need to go back to school to get a maters and certificate in administration if they wanted to move to a vice principal role - it's crazy

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was wondering HOW you go into that much debt. That's almost 4 times what it cost me to get my degree from ASU. :eek:

It can cost $25k or more to get a 4 year degree nowadays. They also plan on raising their rates by 10% this year. If you charged anything in those 4 years, even worse.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd be down with that.

Here's another idear that I stole from Dennis Miller: No income tax for teachers (also no tax for cops and firemen).