Streaming Sins

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Okay, streaming services have officially jumped the shark. It's always been kind of annoying that new, fun-looking shows debut on streaming services I don't have. Hey, whatever, it comes with the territory. Streaming has been cool, and sometimes you can get a service for a little while to watch something, then ditch it.

Now, NOW a new phase has begun: taking a long-running, established show and shifting it to an exclusively pay to stream service. My local news just announced Seal Team's new season is about to start, and that the whole first four episodes will be available "right here" on CBS, and it'll then move to Paramount Plus. Like, "Hey, we're doing yinz a favor." STICK YOUR FAVOR WHERE THE SUN DON'T SHINE. I've enjoyed Seal Team, but not that much. It's no Firefly or The Wire, and it's not worth paying for, ESPECIALLY since this is after years of it airing for free. And even if it was a must-watch show, I would spurn your fracking network streaming service on general principle.

This is insidious, and begins a new phase in streaming services. It is completely bull pucky and I don't like the trend.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
This tells me specifically that their streaming service isn’t doing too well right now.

I’ve seen this last year but I don’t remember which show it was.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
This tells me specifically that their streaming service isn’t doing too well right now.

Huh, that's an interesting point and good perspective. I think their problem is they're hanging their hat on the Yellowstone prequel but launched the service way before it's out.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Huh, that's an interesting point and good perspective. I think their problem is they're hanging their hat on the Yellowstone prequel but launched the service way before it's out.
Paramount + is the rebranded CBS all access, which was the first major network streaming service, but its always been the ugly stepchild to Netflix and has done nothing (except ST Discovery and The Good Wife spin-off) to improve its position as all the others came and passed them.

Does Seal Team get enough ratings to justify viewers to sign up for the service? Since it’s CBS, I guess a generic military show probably gets more viewers than the same show would get on any other network.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
Okay, streaming services have officially jumped the shark. It's always been kind of annoying that new, fun-looking shows debut on streaming services I don't have. Hey, whatever, it comes with the territory. Streaming has been cool, and sometimes you can get a service for a little while to watch something, then ditch it.

Now, NOW a new phase has begun: taking a long-running, established show and shifting it to an exclusively pay to stream service. My local news just announced Seal Team's new season is about to start, and that the whole first four episodes will be available "right here" on CBS, and it'll then move to Paramount Plus. Like, "Hey, we're doing yinz a favor." STICK YOUR FAVOR WHERE THE SUN DON'T SHINE. I've enjoyed Seal Team, but not that much. It's no Firefly or The Wire, and it's not worth paying for, ESPECIALLY since this is after years of it airing for free. And even if it was a must-watch show, I would spurn your fracking network streaming service on general principle.

This is insidious, and begins a new phase in streaming services. It is completely bull pucky and I don't like the trend.

You hit the nail on the head. We're getting over saturated with streaming services as everyone and their brother is trying to make one. Most a junk and probably won't survive due to it. A bunch are already dead and just don't know it. I think we'll be seeing a shake down on services soon with mainly Netflix, Disney+, and Amazon being the big winners. Services like Paramount+ and Peacock are going to have trouble surviving I think. Saved by the Bell remakes aren't going to keep paying customers.

Then we have the two wildcard services, HBOMax and AppleTV+, that I'm not sure which way they'll go. Both seem like they'll depend on the will of the companies. HBOMax is basically streaming HBO so it'll probably last due to HBO subscribers. AppleTV+ is putting out quality shows that should bring in viewers if they stick with it and Apple has the money to stick with it. It'll just be a matter of if they have the will to which the subscribers build.

I saw a line in an article recently that listed Paramount+ as having less than 20 million subscribers. It seemed a little crazy that they were that low. That was also for during the summer when the BigBrother live feeds were running on it. I know a ton of people that sub just for the summer months to get those feeds and don't have it the rest of the year.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Paramount + is the rebranded CBS all access, which was the first major network streaming service, but its always been the ugly stepchild to Netflix and has done nothing (except ST Discovery and The Good Wife spin-off) to improve its position as all the others came and passed them.

Does Seal Team get enough ratings to justify viewers to sign up for the service? Since it’s CBS, I guess a generic military show probably gets more viewers than the same show would get on any other network.
The Good Fight is sooooooo freaking good. What the Kings are doing with that show is mind-blowing and makes me want to go back and watch The Good Wife, which I’ve never even seen. I think the fact that they created a spinoff that in no way needs its audience to see the original show is pretty damn special.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
The Good Fight is sooooooo freaking good. What the Kings are doing with that show is mind-blowing and makes me want to go back and watch The Good Wife, which I’ve never even seen. I think the fact that they created a spinoff that in no way needs its audience to see the original show is pretty damn special.

I wonder if that makes it so that fans of the Good Wife don't appreciate the lack of continuity?

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
You hit the nail on the head. We're getting over saturated with streaming services as everyone and their brother is trying to make one. Most a junk and probably won't survive due to it. A bunch are already dead and just don't know it. I think we'll be seeing a shake down on services soon with mainly Netflix, Disney+, and Amazon being the big winners. Services like Paramount+ and Peacock are going to have trouble surviving I think. Saved by the Bell remakes aren't going to keep paying customers.

Then we have the two wildcard services, HBOMax and AppleTV+, that I'm not sure which way they'll go. Both seem like they'll depend on the will of the companies. HBOMax is basically streaming HBO so it'll probably last due to HBO subscribers. AppleTV+ is putting out quality shows that should bring in viewers if they stick with it and Apple has the money to stick with it. It'll just be a matter of if they have the will to which the subscribers build.

I saw a line in an article recently that listed Paramount+ as having less than 20 million subscribers. It seemed a little crazy that they were that low. That was also for during the summer when the BigBrother live feeds were running on it. I know a ton of people that sub just for the summer months to get those feeds and don't have it the rest of the year.
I agree with your prognostications. Many either won’t survive, be bought, or have their programming purchased piecemeal. But I think HBOMAX and Apple+ survive for the reasons you’ve given. Apple+ has really put out a string of very good shows.i was skeptical at first but it’s been very impressive.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
I agree with your prognostications. Many either won’t survive, be bought, or have their programming purchased piecemeal. But I think HBOMAX and Apple+ survive for the reasons you’ve given. Apple+ has really put out a string of very good shows.i was skeptical at first but it’s been very impressive.
Yeah, I'm an Apple guy since my day job is writing iOS software but I was really skeptical of them doing it too. I'm happy that they proved me wrong with what they're making. Two of my favorite shows are on it now with Mythic Quest and Ted Lasso. Foundation is becoming really solid after a slow start. I really like For All Mankind too. Although I think the bungled the marketing for season one and misrepresented what the show was about.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm an Apple guy since my day job is writing iOS software but I was really skeptical of them doing it too. I'm happy that they proved me wrong with what they're making. Two of my favorite shows are on it now with Mythic Quest and Ted Lasso. Foundation is becoming really solid after a slow start. I really like For All Mankind too. Although I think the bungled the marketing for season one and misrepresented what the show was about.
Agree with all of that. I really like first season of See. But have been disappointed with this season. Invasion has captured my attention. Like the morning show, physical, and Tehran. Looking forward to swagger.

Beaver

Maximum Effort
Reaction score
With youtube leaving Roku and Amazon possibly leaving next, it seems we will need more than one streaming device in the near future. What does everyone here use?

Personally I like the simplicity of the Roku interface better than the fire stick interface. I do like that I can hardline connect the fire stick instead of using wifi. We have Firesticks upstairs and a Roku in the family room.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
With youtube leaving Roku and Amazon possibly leaving next, it seems we will need more than one streaming device in the near future. What does everyone here use?

Personally I like the simplicity of the Roku interface better than the fire stick interface. I do like that I can hardline connect the fire stick instead of using wifi. We have Firesticks upstairs and a Roku in the family room.
We have the Amazon Fire cube, an Apple 4k device and an older Roku that's only used in the guest bedroom. We like both interfaces of the newer devices but we use the Fire Cube almost exclusively for no good reason except that I have difficulty using the Apple touch screen remote.

We're still putting off the switch to 4K so we might re-consider this decision when we buy a new TV as Apple clearly has more 4K options right now. OTOH, we're still with Amazon despite all the annoying advertising and cheap tricks they use so I'm not sure that a larger selection of 4K titles will tip the scales.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score

I have to work with all the streaming devices for my work, and I will say that even though Roku is by far the most popular and has the most users, apps on that platform are the least intuitive, including our own. For connected TVs, I'd probably choose Apple first and the the FireTV, but there's not much seperating those two. The thing that tips it for me is that tvOS is much nicer than the Android hybrid Fire OS.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I joined paramount+ to watch a movie. then I searched the catalog and it was straight trash and I cancelled right away. I likely would have anyway as I do not want more services but it was straight trash.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm a chromecast fanboy myself. Ever since getting one, I cannot go back. My fire TVs are slow and sluggish and crash often. My rokus are missing features and apps. The new Chromecast with google TV is what I am running in my room and I LOVE it.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score

The Apple TV is the best streaming box. It always gets support for the last tech right away too. It's my go to box at this point. I'm also a fan of the nVidia Shield it's my fall back since it'll hand Atmos and DTS:X for my UHD rips, something the ATV doesn't do.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does any streaming devices carry both Bally Sports Arizona and local channels besides DirecTV?

I'm still hanging on with DirecTV satellite until this gets figured out. I have a decent television package for around $110. per month for two rooms and I don't have to upgrade anything.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
I can't see any reason to upgrade to 4k if it costs a single cent more. Now, when I eventually buy a house here, I'm definitely going to upgrade my old smart TV. The old Vizio does Netflix okay, but the Amazon app is ridiculously bad, and you can't download more apps.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave