Straight Outta Compton

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
If you've listened to the diss songs over the years from Ice Cube, Dr Dre & Eazy E then you know the story of how the group broke up. The movie gave an inside look behind the scenes of how the group got its start to its break up to the proposed reunion. I liked the movie a lot but I listened to NWA growing up (I'm 34 now), followed each artist's solo career and really feel F Gary Gray did a great job with the accuracy of all the events in the movie. They were really the dream team of rap groups: Dre & Yella producing the beats, Ice Cube & MC Ren writing the lyrics and Eazy as the front man.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you would let your 11 year old listen to that album, it doesn't make you enlightened. It makes you a turd awful parent.

Interesting that you would call my dead mother as a turd awful parent since she got it for me when I was 11. And yes, it did enlighten me, it gave me courage to question things and to think on my own. Now, I am 37 years old with multiple degrees making well over 6 figures and have an amazing son that I am being a turd awful parent to. Maybe you should buy the record and listen to it so you can stop being so closed minded.

Last edited:

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I saw it. Pretty solid, entertaining movie. Cube's kid is great in it... the literal spitting image of his father. The kid who played Eazy was really good also, but I think any talk of Oscar is overblown.

Agreed!

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
I saw it recently. Not a huge rap music fan, tho I do enjoy some songs from TuPac, Dr Dre, Snoopp.

Disappointed they left out some obvious things - like how they all sold drugs to finance their music, their treatment of women, etc. Would've liked to see them delve more into their personal lives and family dynamics.

All in all, it was pretty good movie - good casting.

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
I was in high school from '89-'92, so NWA was right in my wheelhouse. We used to rap these songs on the bus to basketball games. It was awesome to see these actors tell the story of NWA. Nice casting and a great trip down memory lane.

These guys could tell a hell of a story. I don't like any of the rap that is out today though.

I've been listening to a lot of this stuff on Pandora lately. I was an Eazy-E guy in high school, but after listening to a lot of Ice Cube's stuff I must admit that he destroyed Eazy-E in the lyrics department.

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I rarely ever go to the movies. But I saw this on opening weekend. I had been waiting for it since it was announced. Now I can't wait to get the blu-ray.. this was an awesome movie..

Iceman

Administrator
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just saw this and loved it. Bright back some serious memories. Have a bunch of the songs on my playlist

azmike74

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Finally watched it last night and I really liked it. I'm a 41 year old white dude and rap isn't my favorite style of music but I always liked Dre and Cube. Really reinforced how talented they are and I enjoyed watching some of the struggles they had to overcome to make it.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Just saw this one on pay per view... very good movie...almost had a documentary feel to it at times because I remembered so many of the events from when they happened. It was well acted, well directed and well filmed...

but the guy they got to play snoop was like 5'8"...lol

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I watched it last night. It was really good. I didn't know Ice Cube was involved in making the movie, as I was watching it I kept thinking man while I'm aware he was the first guy in NWA to figure out they were being screwed, this movie sure makes him out to be the smart one. At the end I realized he was involved in the whole thing.

That said, he WAS the one that figured out early on what was going on and what was going to happen later so he WAS the smart one in that regard and it wasn't like he just built himself up and made everyone else look bad. they even at times made the manager look good, him standing up for them during the incident with the Torrance Police, him warning Eazy about all the groupies he was with(he was worried about babies not AIDS).

Well done movie.

Iceman

Administrator
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I watched it last night. It was really good. I didn't know Ice Cube was involved in making the movie, as I was watching it I kept thinking man while I'm aware he was the first guy in NWA to figure out they were being screwed, this movie sure makes him out to be the smart one. At the end I realized he was involved in the whole thing.

That said, he WAS the one that figured out early on what was going on and what was going to happen later so he WAS the smart one in that regard and it wasn't like he just built himself up and made everyone else look bad. they even at times made the manager look good, him standing up for them during the incident with the Torrance Police, him warning Eazy about all the groupies he was with(he was worried about babies not AIDS).

Well done movie.

I loved it as well. It brought back so many memories of growing listening to NWA, Easy E, Snoop, Dre, Cube, etc. I thought it was cool when they put in the scene of Ice Cube making the movie Friday. It is on HBO now and every time the movie is on, I catch myself watching it

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I loved it as well. It brought back so many memories of growing listening to NWA, Easy E, Snoop, Dre, Cube, etc. I thought it was cool when they put in the scene of Ice Cube making the movie Friday. It is on HBO now and every time the movie is on, I catch myself watching it

The part that I thought was interesting is when in the movie he tells the manager give me my money Jerry, I got a baby on the way. The baby on the way is his son, who portrays him in the movie!

Iceman

Administrator
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The part that I thought was interesting is when in the movie he tells the manager give me my money Jerry, I got a baby on the way. The baby on the way is his son, who portrays him in the movie!

Ha! I didn't even catch that

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I caught this on HBO the other day. I thought I would watch 5 minutes of it and ended up watching the entire thing. It was really well done. It's certainly topical, that's for sure.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I caught this on HBO the other day. I thought I would watch 5 minutes of it and ended up watching the entire thing. It was really well done. It's certainly topical, that's for sure.

Yeah when you watch that scene where the cops go after them for no reason outside the recording studio that was the "CRASH" unit that was setup in LA to help curb gang violence and got in all sorts of trouble because they were so blatantly racial profiling and essentially arresting people for being black.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose