Stoops around for "a couple of years?"

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ryan Bass heard rumors that UA football coach Mike Stoops would be fired following the 2007 season.

The Wildcats’ top recruiting target found out enough over the weekend to commit to a Stoops-led program for four years.

Bass gave his verbal vow to Arizona on Sunday, thrilling the coach who brought him to Tucson for an official visit. Bass said Stoops was “really excited” when he heard the news.

As for those rumors?

Bass said he received a promise from UA athletic director Jim Livengood that Stoops would return for a fifth season — and longer. “I talked to the athletic director, and he said (Stoops) is not going anywhere,” Bass told the Star on Sunday. “He’s going to be around for at least the next couple of years.”
http://www.azstarnet.com/sn/wildcats/209973.php

Nasser22

Sec. 32: Go Devils!
Reaction score
That is funny. What has he done to deserve a couple more years? Things change though and after 2-3 more losses I think that's it for him.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That is funny. What has he done to deserve a couple more years? Things change though and after 2-3 more losses I think that's it for him.

I find it funny that this is a UofA forum and asu fans are starting topics while the devils are playing UCLA in football.

Nasser22

Reaction score
And I'm watching the game and making more posts in the ASU thread.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
If Stoops doesn't win he's not going to get a couple more years. Hell, there's still a good chance if Arizona gets blown out the rest of the year that he's gone in December. Haven't you guys learned by now that a vote of confidence means very little in the sports world?

OP
OP
Gaddabout

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I find it funny that this is a UofA forum and asu fans are starting topics while the devils are playing UCLA in football.

Game hadn't started yet, but I apologize for posting off topic and being so belligerent.

:rolleyes:

Nasser22

Reaction score
Wait...during football I heard someone say Stoops will be staying and Arizona's not playing for his job anymore...what happened?

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow. I watched that whole game, rather than switch to the Suns.

Unbelievable. Stunning. I always liked Stoops because he's a straight shooter and won't compromise his principles in recruiting.

As the losses mounted, doubts crept in, influenced by opinions expressed here by Cats fans and I began to lose faith in Stoops.

Hiring Dykes was a smart move. Stoops deserves a chance to let this thing blossom.

Florida fired Zook too soon. UA should give Stoops more time.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Florida fired Zook too soon. UA should give Stoops more time.

Um, didn't the turn around and hire a guy who just won them the National Title? I think Florida's okay with their decision.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson