Steven Jackson A Free Agent

DakotaCardsFan

Making time travel possible
Reaction score
"We knew this day was coming: Steven Jackson is finally ready to hit free agency.

The longtime St. Louis Rams running back voided his contract on Thursday, according to Howard Balzer of ESPN Radio in St. Louis. It was previously reported that Jackson would indeed void the contract."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap10...ven-jackson-voids-contract-with-st-louis-rams

Would love for him to move to the desert and show Beanie, et al, what an NFL running back is supposed to look like on Sundays.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
I would take a flyer on him. Better a RB with slightly slower wheels than two RBs up on blocks in the front yard like we have now.

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
At this stage of his career, he's probably either looking to play for a Superbowl contender or looking for that last big payday.... the Cards don't fit either situation.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
This guy is my favorite non-Cardinal in the league, but sadly, he's worn down, and only has enough in him to contribute for a few years on a contending team.

He just doesn't fit in our plans.

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
I heard his name mentioned with Atlanta, to replace Michael Turner - seems like a logical fit.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
At this stage of his career, he's probably either looking to play for a Superbowl contender or looking for that last big payday.... the Cards don't fit either situation.

Atlanta is a perfect fit for him IMO. Green Bay would also be a nice fit.

I wish Beanie would have turned into something approaching Jackson and Marshawn Lynch.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Stephen Jackson is no longer a great back, he is just a very good back now. Dude can still play and if anyone thinks otherwise, they have not really watched him play of late. If you want to see a 'old' back who can no longer play, look at Michael Turner.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I would pay him 3 mil per year for 3 years with 3 mil guaranteed, no more. I don't think he takes that deal however.

ARZCardinals

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
He will NOT be coming to AZ. Unless a dump truck full of money is being sent to his house.

I have 20 reasons he would want to go to another team and 1 reason he'd come here.

ARZCardinals

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
1. Our T, G, C, G and other T (That's 5)
2. Team was dead last in the running game last year
3. Team is not a contender
4. He at the end of his career and prob. wants to win
5. Cards have very little cap space to pay him
6. There are 31 other teams with better O lines (that's 31 reasons)
7. Cards have no evidence of who they are going to be offensively
8. Cards have no QB that's going to take pressure off the RB
9. He's played for a losing team for long enough and prob. wants to win
10. The Cards are not likely to make the playoffs in their current division

Shall I go on?

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Steven Jackson didn't want committee role

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/id/93277/steven-jackson-didnt-want-committee-role

"It wasn’t about money at this point. I've been able to have a successful career, especially dealing with some hard times as an individual. But it’s more at this point of my career want to be a part of something, chasing a Lombardi Trophy. I want to be a part of something special. And at this point where I’m at, and where the Rams are right now, we had a very open discussion, very heart-to-heart, about what my role would be going forward from now. And that’s where the disagreement comes in. It wasn’t about salary. ...

"It would be more of a running back by committee kind of agreement [with the Rams] going forward. I embrace the fact that I took in Daryl [Richardson] and Isaiah Pead and taught them a lot and hopefully they’ll go on to not only excel, but be very good athletes and good professionals in this league. But for where I’m at going into Year 10, I’m not ready to step back and just become a primary backup or reduced-role guy, to be a part of a running back by committee.

"I still have a lot left in my tank. I still have a lot to offer a team. We're not talking about someone that is in year 12 or 13. But I understand. I understand the business side of it. I still have a great relationship with the organization and one day I’ll be going back there."

If it's not about the money and he wants to be the full time starter then I would give him a look. Offer a three year incentive laden contract.

Darkside

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Jackson is a beast and hardly done. He can run, block, and catch and if he were on any team but the Rams....the guy never even had a winning season with them, that's how bad they are/were. That being said they had him on ESPN radio and he said he doesn't care about money, he wants to play for a contender and that's not us.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
Jackson is a beast and hardly done. He can run, block, and catch and if he were on any team but the Rams....the guy never even had a winning season with them, that's how bad they are/were. That being said they had him on ESPN radio and he said he doesn't care about money, he wants to play for a contender and that's not us.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

What if we promised him we'd draft one of the best OL prospects in the 1st Rd?

I think he's still got tread left. And he'd still love to compete in this division, me thinks. Esp. twice a yr. against the Rams.

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
I would love him over Bush, but either would make us better than we are now. Hey, why don't we give Emmitt Smith a call. Maybe he is available again.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
He's still got something left but I can't see how he'd be in the Cards plans. His problem is that he has something let but it's only about 3-4 games until he's dinged, especially if he's being usd as the main RB.

JC_AZ

JC_AZ
Reaction score
Trade Beanie to Cincinati or Cleveland and pick up Jackson who can be a good mentor for RW and WP... while running through the NFC West like he always does

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
To go against the conventional grain - I've gotta multi-part question:

1. Do we or do we not need better pass protection?

2. Hasn't BA pointed out that pass pro involves a lot more than just the OL (for example, RB who can stay in and help out)?

3. Which RB would be the most reliable in pass pro - some rookie? Or a veteran like Jackson?

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson