Steve Keim Talks on 98.7 regarding state of the Cardinals

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fine, but taking about how he adds value in the return game probably isn’t accurate. He had a big TD return his rookie season, but hasn’t had a memorable return since.

I agree. I sort of respected DJ though for asking to do anything just to get on the field. It ran pretty counter to some of the bashing about his desire.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Not a great look, but DJ returning kicks and being 3rd down/passing down back will use him to his greatest strength, at this point. He can be an oversized and way over paid Brian Mitchell.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

TBH, I don't know if you can use him on third down because he can't read the defensive front seven and identify the free rusher.
Ha.... I was going to say the same thing about this...

You can't become "Swole Derek Sproles" without the ability to pick up the pass rush.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Keim said he wants to re-sign their key FAs like DJ Humphries to maintain continuity. He also said it's very important to build through the draft. I got the feeling that the Cardinals won't be making a huge splash in FA this year. The Cardinals are not going to try and build the team around a bunch of Free Agents.

They never have done that. Why would it start this year? You can already go ahead and say they won't do that until a Bidwill doesn't own the team. However long that will be.

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

It would be slap ass crazy to use your franchise tag on a running back. The franchise tag player receives the average of the top five salaries at that position in the NFL.
So Drake would get David Johnson/Todd Gurley/Ezekiel Elliott money. You're arguing about whether Drake is worth either 4 or 5 million per year, you shouldn't settle the argument by giving him 15.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
It would be slap ass crazy to use your franchise tag on a running back. The franchise tag player receives the average of the top five salaries at that position in the NFL.
So Drake would get David Johnson/Todd Gurley/Ezekiel Elliott money. You're arguing about whether Drake is worth either 4 or 5 million per year, you shouldn't settle the argument by giving him 15.
Imagine Humphries walking and this team franchising Drake, spending nearly $30M at the RB position...

...I'm not joking when I say that might be enough for me to put down the remote on the NFL until Keim was gone.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Imagine Humphries walking and this team franchising Drake, spending nearly $30M at the RB position...

...I'm not joking when I say that might be enough for me to put down the remote on the NFL until Keim was gone.

So, at least something good would come out of it. ;)

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

You and me both.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I was listening to the interview on the way into work and a couple of other things caught my attention.

Keim said he wants to re-sign their key FAs like DJ Humphries to maintain continuity. He also said it's very important to build through the draft. I got the feeling that the Cardinals won't be making a huge splash in FA this year. The Cardinals are not going to try and build the team around a bunch of Free Agents.

Regarding the Draft and BPA philosophy. Team need is obviously factored in when it comes to the pick and players are ranked closely. Also they factor in the Position with regards to how hard it is to find that type of player in FA. For example LT's rarely hit the FA markets and would be more valuable that a similar ranked safety.

That's concerning seeing as he can't draft for poo.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Yes. This is the reality. If people don't want to live in a reality-based world, that's kind of on them.

Although putting your $16M franchise running back on kick return duty isn't a great look.
While it’s not a great look if it’s the best/only way he can contribute . . . it is what it is.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
If we could:

Sign Conklin to a big deal.
Franchise Hump
Trade for or sign Sherff to a big deal.
Sign AB
Add me to the analytics staff at 2mm per year
Trade DJ to Tampa for peanuts
Draft Simmons or Kinlaw
Sign Javon Hargrave
Bring Tony Jefferson back
And keep Drake at or under 5mm per year

Not even sure if it works.... but...... I would do a happy dance. And maybe go play the lottery. And maybe take a trip to Vegas.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Yeah, makes a lot of sense.

We didn't use the franchise tag on DJ after a historic season and now use it on a guy with 3 super games.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If we could:

Franchise Hump
Sign AB
Draft Simmons or Kinlaw
Sign Javon Hargrave

Not even sure if it works.... but...... I would do a happy dance. And maybe go play the lottery. And maybe take a trip to Vegas.

Happy hour, right?

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I agree. I sort of respected DJ though for asking to do anything just to get on the field. It ran pretty counter to some of the bashing about his desire.

It's unfair for anyone to doubt or question the heart of an NFL player, IMHO. Those guys put it on the field every day, and they make getting bashed in the head their life's work.

Reaction score
If we could:

Franchise Hump
Sign AB
Draft Simmons or Kinlaw
Sign Javon Hargrave

:doi: Mili-million? You might work for $2.00 a year just to be on the Cardinals staff; but no way Drake signs for $5.00

Reaction score
If we could:

Franchise Hump
Sign AB
Draft Simmons or Kinlaw
Sign Javon Hargrave

:doi: Mili-million? You might work for $2.00 a year just to be on the Cardinals staff; but no way Drake signs for $5.00

legend

Veteran
Reaction score
Keim talked about adding to the defensive front seven. Needs to pair C Jones with another rusher. He mentioned another inside backer.
He said Alford would be back and Peterson being a Card for life so...extension? D tackle needed. I got the impression the issue with David Johnson wasn't want to, but maybe not processing the concepts mentally. Hump is definitely coming back.
Keim was "proud" of his growth and leadership . . . oboy.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Peterson's a ripe opportunity to create cap space. He has a $12M salary and a $13M cap number. You can easily free up $8 million or so in additional cap space by extending him 3 years. You'd have to back-load it a little bit, but the structure of any extension will tell you a lot about tell how serious the Cards are about competing this year.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Keim all but said free agent money is going to be spent on the DL and maybe LB. He seems happy with the secondary as constructed.

Humphries is a lock to come back, and pretty sure Drake is almost a lock as well.

After this interview I think our first rounder is going to be spent on WR, DL, or LB.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Keim all but said free agent money is going to be spent on the DL and maybe LB. He seems happy with the secondary as constructed.

Humphries is a lock to come back, and pretty sure Drake is almost a lock as well.

After this interview I think our first rounder is going to be spent on WR, DL, or LB.

I thought the same thing. He clearly said the Cardinals front seven needed some improvement.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Peterson's a ripe opportunity to create cap space. He has a $12M salary and a $13M cap number. You can easily free up $8 million or so in additional cap space by extending him 3 years. You'd have to back-load it a little bit, but the structure of any extension will tell you a lot about tell how serious the Cards are about competing this year.

I have been on this train for months

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Agree on most just not sure that Drake is a lock as he will go to the highest bidder but I hope we get him. Regarding the draft I think it will be one of the following: DT Derrick Brown, LB Isiah Simmons, WR CeeDee Lamb or Wr Jerry Juedy. It just depends on who is there when we pick. It won't be an OT or CB.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave