Steve Keim said..........

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I read some things SK said recently, maybe yesterday so it may be old news to some of you? He said that the Cardinals liked Bruce Hector coming out of South Florida in 2018, said it's nice to have a young rotational defensive lineman. I looked up some stats on Hector, he had 7.5 sacks in 2017 at South Florida, that's pretty damn good considering he played NT. SK also said that our personnel dept just put out a spread sheet on every position they think can be upgraded from the waiver wire. Went on to say there's still 4-6 spots left to be claimed on the 53 man roster. Ended by saying" if the right guy is there on the waiver wire, I will pull the trigger". He has said that he works the phones constantly, i hope before September 8th we have some surprises with a few players. We need some depth on both lines & maybe another CB?

OP
OP
Cardsfaninlouky

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Remember when Rod Graves said don’t judge the team until you see them in Week 1?

That team went 4-12.
True, but every team is different obviously. Sounds like they're at least trying. Lots of opinions on how SK built the team & what he should & shouldn't have done. Truth is, this team couldn't be totally built in one season, they had to make a choice on how to do it. Went with a playmaking QB & more WR help mainly, signed a few FA's on both sides of the ball. This yr I wanna at least compete, make it exciting & give us hope for the future. We have 100 million in dead cap money next yr, if SK can't build both OL & DL with that much cap room then he needs to take a hike? He helped create all that dead money, some of the signings involved made sense at the time, so I can't totally blame him on all of it.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
True, but every team is different obviously. Sounds like they're at least trying. Lots of opinions on how SK built the team & what he should & shouldn't have done. Truth is, this team couldn't be totally built in one season, they had to make a choice on how to do it. Went with a playmaking QB & more WR help mainly, signed a few FA's on both sides of the ball. This yr I wanna at least compete, make it exciting & give us hope for the future. We have 100 million in dead cap money next yr, if SK can't build both OL & DL with that much cap room then he needs to take a hike? He helped create all that dead money, some of the signings involved made sense at the time, so I can't totally blame him on all of it.

So even though he has proven a complete and utter inability to build the OL and built a merely average DL, you want to hand him the 100 million and expect he will suddenly figure things out when he has proven time and again he isn't up to the task?

OP
OP
Cardsfaninlouky

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
So even though he has proven a complete and utter inability to build the OL and built a merely average DL, you want to hand him the 100 million and expect he will suddenly figure things out when he has proven time and again he isn't up to the task?
I hear you, the OL hasn't been his strong point so far but how many times in the past has he had 100 million in cap space? With that much money, if he gets it wrong, then can his ass.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I hear you, the OL hasn't been his strong point so far but how many times in the past has he had 100 million in cap space? With that much money, if he gets it wrong, then can his ass.

Didn’t we have like $60 million last season and he blew it on Sam Bradford and other garbage? We don’t have $40 million in dead money this season because Keim is good at finding values in free agency.

OP
OP
Cardsfaninlouky

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Didn’t we have like $60 million last season and he blew it on Sam Bradford and other garbage? We don’t have $40 million in dead money this season because Keim is good at finding values in free agency.
Overpaid for Bradford, yes sir. 100 million is still 40 million more than last season then. Lots a GM can do with an extra 40 million after using the other 60. You get the point. I'm saying if he spends that much money & we still have no OL or DL then he has to go.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Next years cap space is all about the trenches. No more excuses if it’s not overhauled properly. If not he needs to go.

No! You don't keep a bad GM in place, hand him the franchise-building offseason of the century, and THEN throw your hands up and fire him AFTER he screws it up. You never give him the chance to screw it up in the first place!

StreetTruckinTitan

You talkin' to me?
Reaction score
No! You don't keep a bad GM in place, hand him the franchise-building offseason of the century, and THEN throw your hands up and fire him AFTER he screws it up. You never give him the chance to screw it up in the first place!

Who do you have in mind as a replacement? Anybody on the inside is gonna be a Keim disciple and someone from the outside is going to be a retread who was fired from another losing team. My only real gripe with Keim is he has more misses than hits on his draft picks but I agree with you it might be time to part ways for next off seasons rebuild.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Who do you have in mind as a replacement? Anybody on the inside is gonna be a Keim disciple and someone from the outside is going to be a retread who was fired from another losing team. My only real gripe with Keim is he has more misses than hits on his draft picks but I agree with you it might be time to part ways for next off seasons rebuild.

I don't. It's a good thing Bidwill doesn't need my input :)

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose