Stephen Randolph

Derek in Tucson

Veteran
Reaction score
I was talking to the Sidewinders GM last night at the game, and asked him about Randolph and why he was out of options. He didn't rteally give me a definitive answer, but just talked in general terms about Randolph spending too much time in the minors to have any options left.

Then something strange happened. He offered up the opinion that he didn't think Randolph would get a legitimate chance to stick with the DBacks, and that he'd eventually be sold to a Japanese team.

mark1

Veteran
Reaction score
That is a strange comment. He must have good reason to believe it. I think the D-Backs are worried about Randolph's continuing control problems. Brenly made the comment that there would be alot of travel between Tucson and Phoenix this year. Gosling, Capuano, Webb, Good, Patterson, Valverde and Jeremy Ward could all see some time in the bigs this year.

Derek,

Please give us a continuing overview on what you see out of the Sidewinders this year. Maybe others aren't interested, but I am.

Thanks

AZZenny

Reaction score
Me too, me too! Keep us informed, please - I listened to much of the sidewinders game last night - free on webradio at their website. JPatt had some very good (and a very bad) innings, hitting was there (at least it's somewhere in the system!) and some really heads-up baserunning. Tonight is Capuano's first start since the elbow surgery last season, and I plan to be tuned in to that, too.

Why sell Randolph to Japan if he could perhaps be a little sweetener in a trade at some point? Is there a hidden logic to their thinking? Or is it a question of - if he can't be traded profitably and they needed the space on the 25-man roster, they'd get more value from Japan? Bummer for Randolph.

Matrix31

Rookie
Reaction score
Derek, you plan on making it out to the Sidewinders game tonight? I really want to go, just have to see if any of my friends want to head out. With the whole team being mostly prospects and the fact that im probably staying in Tucson over the summer i plan on making it out to a lot of games this year, especially Thursdays, now that im 21 :D

OP
OP
D

Derek in Tucson

Veteran
Reaction score
I'll do the best that I can with updates, but I don't have any connections with the Sidewinders to get anything really deep about the team. Last night was unusual as I rarely see Rick Parr, the GM, patrolling the concourse like he did last night.

I won't be at tonight's game, because I'm heading out tomorrow for LA and the Dodgers home opener against the Diamondbacks.

Moose Lady

Veteran
Reaction score
Hey Derek

I have a question for ya. Is there some sort of problem with regards to Brad Cresse?? I mean, it seems like he's been around for years and yet doesn't get called up or traded. Is there any kind of reason for this that you know of??? Also, do you think Tim Olsen will take Tony's place next year??

OP
OP
D

Derek in Tucson

Veteran
Reaction score
The problem with Cresse is he just stagnated. He got a lot of hype when he tore up A ball after being drafted, but as is often the case, the jump to AA proved more difficult than expected. The promotion from A to AA is the toughest one to make in the minor leagues...well...outside of going from AAA to the bigs. So since those big numbers in the California League, and in one of the best hitters parks in all of baseball, Cresse has come back down to earth. He still has a chance to turn it around, but as each year goes by, those chances are reduced.

I think Alex Cintron is a better bet to replace Womack, but really neither one of them have much of a chance at becoming an All Star SS. My guess is the DBacks let Womack walk and try to find somebody on the free agent market.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA