Stephen Drew Thread

burndoggy

Veteran
Reaction score
what, guys dont go from aa to the show. wake up i said sep call up.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
burndoggy said:
what, guys dont go from aa to the show. wake up i said sep call up.

You're right, guys go straight from AA to the bigs. If I'm not mistaken, Pujols was one of those guys.

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In my opinion, I think it is far more likely that we will see Drew stay in AA for the rest of the year and then a spot in the Arizona Fall League. I believe he will start next year in Tucson, which is probably the safest way to go. Personally, I am not a big fan of rushing up prospects as quickly as some of you are suggesting.

Espo

Lets Go Suns
Reaction score
From what I'm hearing down here in Tucson we probably wont see him. Sounds like Drew will probably be a Sept. Call up if he keeps it up in Double-A.

nathan

ASFN Lifer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
http://arizona.diamondbacks.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/team/roster_40man.jsp?c_id=ari

He's not on the 40 man roster, so I don't think he'll be up. More likely possibilities:
Jason Bulger
Edgar Gonzalez
Enrique Gonzalez
Bill Murphy
Dustin Nippert
Tony Pena
Josh Kroeger
Marland Williams

Incidently, Quentin is not on the 40 man roster, but there is plenty of trash that he could easily be called up.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Reading between the lines, I'd say Drew is a guaranteed Sept. call up if he stays on course. As much as I don't like rushing prospects, if minor league pitching isn't challenging a player then I don't see any point in making him keep playing below his level.

spikecop02

Registered
Reaction score
Zona90 said:
You're right, guys go straight from AA to the bigs. If I'm not mistaken, Pujols was one of those guys.

Synder went to the bigs from AA last year.

ActingWild

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
2 nights ago he was hitless but last night he came back strong...

1 for 3 with 1 HR, 2 walks and 2 RBI. Going 1 for 3 has dropped his average to .400! :thumbup:

nathan

ASFN Lifer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Zona90 said:

He actually played three games in AAA. He also had less than 100 AB in high A.

AZZenny

Reaction score
His average as of tonight has dropped to .217!! He's 4 for 19 in Double A after a hot start.

Wonder if he's injured or something. But Montero did the same thing - get away from the Lancaster 'Launching Pad' and within a game or two, kaplooie. Montero is just starting to climb back up - at .264 now. I recall last year Conor and Carlos had a bit of a shock going to El Paso, and that was still a hitter's park. The caliber of pitching is MUCH better than A Ball, plus this year, Southern League is a much more neutral batter/pitcher than any of the parks our guys see in the western leagues.

ActingWild

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Yep. He's struggling now. Went 1 for 4 with a double last night though. I agree, Montero struggled and he's coming back, I'm sure Drew will do the same.

CronosCard

Veteran
Reaction score
"..And in this corner.."

I went straight from AA back to my old bar one cold September.. :thud:

SDrew has the talent let's see what he'll do.. Also didn't Kroeger get released or tradeed?

burndoggy

Veteran
Reaction score
question for azzenny

i noticed drew hasnt really played most of the week.have you listened to the smokies broadcasts the past week,what kind of injury?,if any

AZZenny

Reaction score
August 9, 2005

A blast by Dan Uggla capped a huge second inning for the Smokies as Tennessee beat Montgomery, 7-3, on Tuesday night in Kodak, Tenn. The Smokies hung up a six-spot on Biscuits starter Jim Magrane, highlighted by a two-run homer by cleanup hitter Uggla. He launched a two-out blast over the left field fence for his 18th homer, top on Tennessee's roster.

Noochie Varner also was 2-for-4 with an RBI. Stephen Drew had a first-inning double, but left the game immediately afterwards with an unspecified leg injury.
Adam Bass (3-9) picked up the win, pitching seven gritty innings and allowing three runs on 10 hits and a walk while striking out five.

That injury-prone thing rears its head. Again.

I don't usually catch the Smokies games - time difference makes listening inconvenient. I try to catch AJ Shappi's Lancaster games and now just occasional Sidewinders - with CJ up here, my motivation to listen to the Tucson games is less (I don't have High Speed, and their broadcast is poor quality) except to pick up gossip about the org.

burndoggy

Veteran
Reaction score
is drew injured again?

Azzenny you are proably in the know on this one.

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He didnt play again last night, so Id only assume that he is still feeling the effects of that unspecified injury from a week ago. The strange thing is, I havent seen anything in the Arizona papers about it, and they usually do a good job keeping track of things like this with the major prospects.

AZZenny

Reaction score
Strained Quad. This kid needs to go to API - or better yet, the folks the Suns use for pre-hab - in the off-season.

AZZenny

Reaction score
He's still making a few more errors than one would hope for, and batting around .250. They moved Gil to 3rd, D'Antona to 1st, and Carter to OF to keep Drew in SS.
We should see him in AZFL, but don't look for a Sept call-up. (Better he should go work out with the Suns' trainers for a month and get those legs fully healthy.)