Starts and Ends with Chris Paul

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Paul wasn't right, Payne has been off all season and Book can't play point.
so with Monty not willing to play Holiday, we were between a rock and a hard place

there were no adjustments from the game 6 blowout so they doubled the game 7 blowout

Holiday can be a backup but as someone who watched every game he played in college I've never thought he was a true NBA PG he's a 2 in a 1's body. He's good, I would have played him more but he's not a long term solution which is why Indiana let him move on great kid, plays hard, but not a PG.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Holiday can be a backup but as someone who watched every game he played in college I've never thought he was a true NBA PG he's a 2 in a 1's body. He's good, I would have played him more but he's not a long term solution which is why Indiana let him move on great kid, plays hard, but not a PG.

The point about Holiday is the Suns didn't have a lot of better options at point guard with Chris Paul injured and Cam Payne's game off.

Holiday plays much like a small combo guard but sometimes you have to go with what you have. Shamet played much the same role but I think Holiday could have run the team better and been able to get inside more.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The point about Holiday is the Suns didn't have a lot of better options at point guard with Chris Paul injured and Cam Payne's game off.

Holiday plays much like a small combo guard but sometimes you have to go with what you have. Shamet played much the same role but I think Holiday could have run the team better and been able to get inside more.

My take is his advantage over Payne is outside shooting. i know he's not going to shoot 44 from 3 all year but Aaron can knock down open 3's so teams can't play off him the way they were off Payne in the playoffs. He's a good defender too but he's small he can be exploited.

I love the kid wanted him on the Warriors in fact before we got Payton, just saying he's not really a PG. But I do agree replacement value wise he's likely better than Payne.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think Paul's days as a starter are done. He just can't hold up over the course of a season with playoffs playing starter's minutes.
I think he can still be a starter but we need to cap his minutes at something around 30 per game most nights. Like I said elsewhere, in 13 of the final 24 games he played in during the regular season he logged more than 35 minutes. That's just wrong.

I'd start and use him for 6 or 7 minutes a quarter until the end of the game and then let him take over in the 4th. But no matter what we do with him, we need someone that can play alongside Booker, take some heat off of him, and it has to be someone that Monty believes in.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think he can still be a starter but we need to cap his minutes at something around 30 per game most nights. Like I said elsewhere, in 13 of the final 24 games he played in during the regular season he logged more than 35 minutes. That's just wrong.

I'd start and use him for 6 or 7 minutes a quarter until the end of the game and then let him take over in the 4th. But no matter what we do with him, we need someone that can play alongside Booker, take some heat off of him, and it has to be someone that Monty believes in.
This only works if the Suns get a legitimate back up PG. Payne and Shamet don't cut it. I think Paul's last chance for a title evaporated with our loss to the Mavs.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose