Starting to warm to Simmons, but ...

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If Simmons can play safety, ILB and played some Cb would it be crazy to think he could do really well at OLB?

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Is Simmons a 3-4 ILB a 3-4 safety or a unicorn that you change a defense base to fit his talent, because IMO that's what you would have to do, not sure we have the other personnel in place to go with a 4-2-5 college type defense I'm not saying he can't hold up as 3-4 ILB I'm saying he won't be able to for at least a couple years JMO.

Maybe more of a 5-1-5 defense, with Simmons fitting into the back five. Still functionally a 34 defense lol.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
I'm gonna ask a Simmons question. In the last 10 years how many ILB's have been taken in the top 10 of the draft or safeties for that matter my guess less then 10 combined at those 2 positions and this is just a guess could be completely wrong. I've said a number of times dont dislike the player but is this the spot to use a top 10 pick on a safety/ILB this is just a question I'm still in the information gathering mode on draft picks I watch some college games but probably not like some of you can I work way to many Saturdays lol

I believe this is the wrong way to look at the empirical evidence.

LBers, CB's, OT's & Safeties have a higher propensity to be worthy of a first round draft pick than WR's, QB's, & RB's.

There is a thread I posted on the subject a while back.

As of now..... I am convinced Simmons goes in the top 7. But man...... He would be great for us at our worst position of need IMO.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
Kyle Dugger, the poor man's Simmons.

Dane Brugler, Athletic:

As I took the elevator to the press box for Wednesday’s practices, I was joined in the car by a general manager from an NFC squad. The 20-second ascent was just long enough for me to ask who impressed him on Day 1.

His answer came quickly and concisely: Kyle Dugger.

The Lenoir-Rhyne defender entered the week with lofty expectations. And, somehow, he continues to surpass them.

After a standout Day 1, Dugger looked even better on Day 2. During team drills, he lined up as the high defender on one play, in the slot the next and then near the line of scrimmage at an overhang position, displaying his athletic versatility. When lined up away from the ball, he showed his alley speed and knack for navigating through the weeds to find the football and be in position to make stops.

In one-on-one’s, Dugger used his quiet, composed feet to attach himself to routes and deploy his length to disrupt the catch point. He picked off a pass during Wednesday’s practice, showing his athletic twitch and nose for the football to finish.

Dugger also looked clean returning punts – and considering he holds the Lenoir-Rhyne records for punt return yardage (929) and touchdowns (six), that shouldn’t be a surprise.

Tuesday, I wrote how Dugger quickly showed that he belongs on this stage. And as the week progresses, it is clear that he not only belongs, but he is one of the most talented defensive prospects in Mobile.

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Kyle Dugger, the poor man's Simmons.

Dane Brugler, Athletic:

As I took the elevator to the press box for Wednesday’s practices, I was joined in the car by a general manager from an NFC squad. The 20-second ascent was just long enough for me to ask who impressed him on Day 1.

His answer came quickly and concisely: Kyle Dugger.

The Lenoir-Rhyne defender entered the week with lofty expectations. And, somehow, he continues to surpass them.

After a standout Day 1, Dugger looked even better on Day 2. During team drills, he lined up as the high defender on one play, in the slot the next and then near the line of scrimmage at an overhang position, displaying his athletic versatility. When lined up away from the ball, he showed his alley speed and knack for navigating through the weeds to find the football and be in position to make stops.

In one-on-one’s, Dugger used his quiet, composed feet to attach himself to routes and deploy his length to disrupt the catch point. He picked off a pass during Wednesday’s practice, showing his athletic twitch and nose for the football to finish.

Dugger also looked clean returning punts – and considering he holds the Lenoir-Rhyne records for punt return yardage (929) and touchdowns (six), that shouldn’t be a surprise.

Tuesday, I wrote how Dugger quickly showed that he belongs on this stage. And as the week progresses, it is clear that he not only belongs, but he is one of the most talented defensive prospects in Mobile.

Im good with a small school player like this in the 5th or later. I'm tired of Keim reaching for guys in the 3rd that would have been around 2 rounds later. Chad Williams? In the 3rd round....seriously? We could have gotten him as an UDFA

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
Im good with a small school player like this in the 5th or later. I'm tired of Keim reaching for guys in the 3rd that would have been around 2 rounds later. Chad Williams? In the 3rd round....seriously? We could have gotten him as an UDFA
I had a problem with Williams going that high as a WR. Dugger on the D side is different. He's multi faceted and if he can wrap up he's got a good chance to stand out. He'll go BY the third round, imo.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
He is 6-1 (just under) and doesn't play at the LOS like Simmons. He is more like Deone Buchannon.

Cameron Brown - Penn State is the poor mans Simmons.
I like Zach Baun as well.

Yes, Dugger is more a straight up SS prospect. A lot of evaluators have Simmons there as well, especially starting out, and Will backer on sub packages.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave