Stark: What happens when ‘bullpenning’ madness meets the free-agent starter market?

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OP
OP
Dback Jon

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
LIST NO. 1: THE 200-INNING CLUB
Number of pitchers working 200+ innings:
2018 – 13*
2017 – 15
2016 – 15
2015 – 28
2014 – 34
2013 – 36
2012 – 31
2011 – 39
2010 – 45
2005 – 50
(* – fewest in any full season in history)

What you need to know: Not so long ago, the average rotation included two starters on every team who threw 200 innings. By this year, 21 of the 30 teams had no pitcher who worked 200 innings. And only three teams – the Astros, Indians and Diamondbacks – had more than one who did it.

OP
OP
Dback Jon

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score

DWKB

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
BP usage since 1969 has had more of an affect on the game than the DH could ever have, but because it’s been a slower creep the traditionalists have complained less.

Last edited:

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
BP usage since 1969 has had more of an affect on the game than the DH could ever have, but because it’s been a slower creep the traditionalists have complained less.
As one of those traditionalists, I have wondered why starting pitchers could no longer start every 4th game or be counted on to pitch complete games.

Commuting on jets rather than busses or trains. Staying in fancy hotels on the road. Being fed fancy food. And being paid millions of dollars to play baseball.

They became spoiled.

That is not a parallel situation to the designated hitter, which created an extra position in the lineup (though not the batting order).

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
LIST NO. 1: THE 200-INNING CLUB
Number of pitchers working 200+ innings:
2018 – 13*
2017 – 15
2016 – 15
2015 – 28
2014 – 34
2013 – 36
2012 – 31
2011 – 39
2010 – 45
2005 – 50
(* – fewest in any full season in history)

What you need to know: Not so long ago, the average rotation included two starters on every team who threw 200 innings. By this year, 21 of the 30 teams had no pitcher who worked 200 innings. And only three teams – the Astros, Indians and Diamondbacks – had more than one who did it.

That's a crazy stat from what it used to be like.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
As one of those traditionalists, I have wondered why starting pitchers could no longer start every 4th game or be counted on to pitch complete games.

Commuting on jets rather than busses or trains. Staying in fancy hotels on the road. Being fed fancy food. And being paid millions of dollars to play baseball.

They became spoiled.

That is not a parallel situation to the designated hitter, which created an extra position in the lineup (though not the batting order).

It's not pitchers being spoiled, I guarantee these guys are not asking to get pulled. It's managers micro managing the game.

DWKB is right, it was a trickle, but then Bruce Bochy released the river. He game planned for using 5-6 relievers when other managers still viewed using 3 as a sign of disaster.

I feel it's damaging the game but, as a strategy, it cannot be argued. Batters do way better if they see the same pitcher on their 3rd go through the order.

Matt L

formerly known as mattyboy
Reaction score
It's not pitchers being spoiled, I guarantee these guys are not asking to get pulled. It's managers micro managing the game.

DWKB is right, it was a trickle, but then Bruce Bochy released the river. He game planned for using 5-6 relievers when other managers still viewed using 3 as a sign of disaster.

I feel it's damaging the game but, as a strategy, it cannot be argued. Batters do way better if they see the same pitcher on their 3rd go through the order.

I'm guessing it is a combination of the following:

1. hitters are getting better, it is harder to get outs
2. pitchers are throwing harder, exerting more energy to get their velocity up and using more pitches to get through 4-5 innings.
3. managers are (correctly) using their bullpens to try to win games.

Willie D

Veteran
Reaction score
I'm guessing it is a combination of the following:

1. hitters are getting better, it is harder to get outs
--didn't MLB just set a record for strikeouts vs. HRs (collectively)?
2. pitchers are throwing harder, exerting more energy to get their velocity up and using more pitches to get through 4-5 innings.
--This "batter do better" canard gives serious disservice to catchers. You don't think Yadi Molina or Buster Posey knows to to F with a batter's mind?
3. managers are (correctly) using their bullpens to try to win games.
--Ask Craig Counsell how this worked out.

Matt L

Reaction score
I have no idea if Posey and Molina f with the batter's minds. Do starting pitchers on the Giants and cardinals throw more innings than the league average?

Milwaukee was one win away from the world series. are you arguing he didn't use his bullpen effectively?

Willie D

Veteran
Reaction score
I have no idea if Posey and Molina f with the batter's minds. Do starting pitchers on the Giants and Cardinals [sic] throw more innings than the league average?

Milwaukee was one win away from the world series. are you arguing he didn't use his bullpen effectively?
Milwaukee had junk for starting pitching. Hence the "bullpen-openers." Counsell left some in too long, yanked others too fast. Perhaps this strategy might work out in a decade when the game is run by nerds wielding Cray Suprecomputers to figure out who to play at each individual moment of the world. But right now it's a crash course in brain surgery. The Doyers, on the other hand, had good starters, and won the LCS. They blew it for the same reason: playing analytics over gut instinct.

I can't speak for Posey, but yes, Yadi messes with batters all the time. While giving out signals, he sometimes starts talking to the Wonder-Bread batter in Spanish, except all he's saying are the headlines from the day's newspaper.

DWKB

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Milwaukee had junk for starting pitching. Hence the "bullpen-openers." Counsell left some in too long, yanked others too fast. Perhaps this strategy might work out in a decade when the game is run by nerds wielding Cray Suprecomputers to figure out who to play at each individual moment of the world. But right now it's a crash course in brain surgery. The Doyers, on the other hand, had good starters, and won the LCS. They blew it for the same reason: playing analytics over gut instinct.

I can't speak for Posey, but yes, Yadi messes with batters all the time. While giving out signals, he sometimes starts talking to the Wonder-Bread batter in Spanish, except all he's saying are the headlines from the day's newspaper.

:big laugh:

Matt L

Reaction score

So the overachieving Brewers should have used their gut more?

Let me guess, Boston won the world series due to their gut instinct?

Willie D

Veteran
Reaction score
Let me guess, Boston won the world series due to their gut instinct?
The Sox won because of better hitting, fewer mental errors and sheer inertia offensively. If you want to term that "gut instinct," then yes. The lack of "mental errors" was Cora not paying so much attention to the number geeks.

The Brewers made the playoffs on good timing. They peaked when the Scrubs had a ratchet bullpen down the stretch. And the Cardinals...their defense sucked for most of the season.

The 1988 WS would have ended a lot differently if Kirk Gibson didn't get to pinch hit.

Last edited:

DWKB

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You all know the story of the 3 blind men grabbing the elephant and all proclaiming it to be a different thing (leg :: tree, trunk :: snake, etc..)?

That’s most fans who attempt to proclaim what an organization does and doesn’t utilize to win/lose.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose