Star Wars Galaxies

PortlandCardFan

Reaction score
Anybody goin to play the new Star Wars Galaxies online game?

It looks like it is going to be pretty cool. Something like 8 or 9 planets, multiple races to choose from, etc..

Mike

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was thinking about playing, but then I read at a few places about how addicting these types of games can be...and decided I'd probably better not :)

Looks cool though, no doubt.

Mike

DbaxJ

I was lost but now I'm found
Reaction score
Very true.. they can become VERY addicting.... thats a struggle I deal with daily, because of America's Army:Dperations.. very fun game, very addicting!

bratwurst

on double secret probation
Reaction score
I played everquest for about 6 months in college. I finally gave it up when I realized I was playing way too much and my girlfriend at the time, now my wife, was pissed that I was staying up really late almost everynight just to play the game.

Audrey19

Hockey Addict
Reaction score
It is very addicting. My boyfriend is beta testing it and that's all he does from the time he gets home until he tears himself away to get some sleep. It does look cool though. Lots of options. :)

bratwurst

Reaction score
I have been debating whether or not I should even look at the box of Everquest 2 when it comes out. I don't know if I should tempt myself. I think about how much time I wasted playing the game and I can't help but think of how stupid it was. I really enjoyed it though, so I don't know what to think.

The star wars one is tempting too.

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can just get so submerged into that world, you start neglecting your "real" life...hasn't happened to me that bad, but I know it would if I started playing a game like that.

Because you can't just play for 20 minutes here and there...you have to play for hours...just not good.

Which sucks, because man it looks like such a fun game.

Mike

OP
OP
PortlandCardFan

PortlandCardFan

Reaction score
Yeah, I Know what y'all mean.

I have never played any of the online games for that very reason.

It does look really cool and I am considering this game.

I have told myself that if I did start to play an online game I would only allow myself 2 hour sessions. The question is- do I have enough disipline to stay at 2 hour limit.

Mike

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm using Kazaa right now...but it's Kazaalite....no ads, so spyware...it rules.

Mike

bratwurst

Reaction score
If you guys want to start playing a role playing game, we should all go get Never Winter Nights and get a group going. We were talking about it a while back on the "everything else" forum.

When does Galaxies come out?

OP
OP
PortlandCardFan

PortlandCardFan

Reaction score
Originally posted by Ryanwb
You must be a programmer

No... I am a networking guy...

I just don't like sharing my PC with others.

I had it installed once and it seemed okay. I was informed that Kazaa allowed others to share files on your Kazaa Host ( I guess that would be the correct term). I didn't really like that idea.

To be honest I didn't look into the matter much as well because I didn't use Kazaa very often. So the guy could have been BS'n me.

Mike

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by PortlandCardFan

I had it installed once and it seemed okay. I was informed that Kazaa allowed others to share files on your Kazaa Host ( I guess that would be the correct term). I didn't really like that idea.

To be honest I didn't look into the matter much as well because I didn't use Kazaa very often. So the guy could have been BS'n me.

Mike

Try kazaalite.com.

Mike

OP
OP
PortlandCardFan

PortlandCardFan

Reaction score
Originally posted by bratwurst
If you guys want to start playing a role playing game, we should all go get Never Winter Nights and get a group going. We were talking about it a while back on the "everything else" forum.

When does Galaxies come out?

I think the mid to end of 2003.

NWN would be cool as well. I have been staying away from games in general since I have a 3 month old daughter.

My wife would have a major issue if I was play games while she was kickin with the new born.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Originally posted by PortlandCardFan

Mike

This is what I did. I installed a 40 gb hard drive that is used only for Kazaa and I share all of my files on that baby, it has no personal information. I got a kick butt firewall and wrote a custom host file for nobody can go where I don't want them. Its all good.

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay, now you guys have me frightened.

Can people on Kazaa access my entire hard drive if they know how?

Mike

Card Trader

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I'm in the SWG beta, I don't give a flying f*ck about breaking the NDA so any questions you have feel free to ask.

OP
OP
PortlandCardFan

PortlandCardFan

Reaction score
Originally posted by Card Trader
I'm in the SWG beta, I don't give a flying f*ck about breaking the NDA so any questions you have feel free to ask.

My only question is... Do you like the game?

Would you recommend it to some one?

I read were eventually they will allow for characters to be able to purchase their own ships and have combat in space..... is that true?

Thanks,

Mike

Card Trader

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Space combat hasn't been implemented yet.......maybe in an expansion in the future.

I must say, to me at least, the game is complicated, not a game you can just sit down and play for 30 minutes to pass time.

I don't know at this point if I'd recommend it, it is still buggy(BETA duh), but the concepts are great and the graphics are top notch for a MMORPG.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Galaxies

Is scheduled to come out in August.

It might be delayed until September.

I have pre-ordered my copy and I understand it is sold out for pre-orders only so get yours now.

Don't know if I will play it more than a month, but I figured I may as well try =)

I hated Everquest (Evercamp), so I hope this is better.

Neverwinter Nights kicks much ass and is free to play on-line:thumbup: