Star Trek: Discovery (Paramount+)

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
I just started watching this. Enjoyed the first episode and a half so far.

For anybody interested, CBS All Access is free for a month right now. Promo code “all”.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
Here is the Westworld... er, new Star Trek opening sequence. I was waiting for the space suit gloves to start playing the piano.

<redacted>

That’s actually pretty funny. There is a lot of similarity between the two themes and instrumentation. Especially when the cello plays. Also, graphically there’s a lot of similarity with the white background and the line drawings are similar to Westworld season 3.

LVG

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
I will say, as an avid Trekkie, Disco had a bit of a rough first season. The second season came together well. But the third season? Every episode is better than the last.

Highly recommend watching it if you have the chance.

LVG

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
I'm also a bit sad to see that I cannot find a Lower Decks thread. If you haven't watched that - it's like Rick and Morty meets Star Trek. Hilarious; best enjoyed after a few alcoholic beverages. Good for non-fans, beyond fantastic for trekkies.

Town Drunk

Longest serving ASFN lurker
Reaction score
I will say, as an avid Trekkie, Disco had a bit of a rough first season. The second season came together well. But the third season? Every episode is better than the last.

Highly recommend watching it if you have the chance.

I’ve been a little bummed with season three. Definitely prefer last season to this season.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I'm also a bit sad to see that I cannot find a Lower Decks thread. If you haven't watched that - it's like Rick and Morty meets Star Trek. Hilarious; best enjoyed after a few alcoholic beverages. Good for non-fans, beyond fantastic for trekkies.
The Simpsons in the Star Trek universe.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve been a little bummed with season three. Definitely prefer last season to this season.

I love this show period. Best Trek in a very long time. I think this season is great. Each season has brought something different which is why I think I like the show so much.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I love this show period. Best Trek in a very long time. I think this season is great. Each season has brought something different which is why I think I like the show so much.
Disagree. I think it would be a phenomenal show if it weren’t tied to Star Trek, but I still struggle to reconcile that these people are in the same universe as the TNG crew.

I happen to think Picard is the far superior show.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't stand Michael. Does she get paid by the tear? Other than that, it's decent Trek. I also prefer Picard to this.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Disagree. I think it would be a phenomenal show if it weren’t tied to Star Trek, but I still struggle to reconcile that these people are in the same universe as the TNG crew.

I happen to think Picard is the far superior show.
We have to agree to do disagree. I think Picard is great in its own right but two completely different shows.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
We have to agree to do disagree. I think Picard is great in its own right but two completely different shows.
That's my point. You are right they are two completely different shows. One is Trek. The other is pretending to be.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's my point. You are right they are two completely different shows. One is Trek. The other is pretending to be.

Nonsense. They are both Trek. Discovery is some of the best Trek has been in a very long time. The reboot so to speak in Season 3 is genius. They are not bogged down in a midfield of balancing events they were about to run into in canon, constraints within the story verse (i.e. Federation of Planets) and is a tad unconventional like DS9 was when it came out. Easily one of my favorites since DS9. I also can't wait for Star Trek Strange New Worlds as well but my guess is they are going to have some of the same problems if the show lasts more than 5 seasons. It's good time to be a Trek fan right now.

Last edited:

Town Drunk

Reaction score
Anyone else find it odd that an ensign was named as second in command of Discovery?

Reaction score

I totally agree. Season 1 was hard to follow with the mirror universe. Season 2 was awesome, no one can replace the crew of the Enterprise Crew. Season 3 and the Emerald Chain was aight. The ships look pretty cool tho. USS Voyager / USS Nog

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I finally started this.
season 1 was totally disappointing. I was like, " Harry Mudd, time loops, and evil alternate universe...all in the same season??" where the hell they gonna go now? Then.. the spore drive..interesting...

but season 2 was fantastic... I liked what they did with Captain Pike.. dude knows exactly what his future holds but sticks to his code regardless of the consequences.
Then at the end of 2 they address the 900 lb gorilla in the room.... spore drive tech does not exist in the trek universe...so they wipe discovery from the database and blast them a thousand years into the future.

and suddenly in season 3 the federation is a joke... old men cosplaying while wearing their great grand daddys uniform and living on abandoned stations.
But. they brokered a peace treaty.... the new federation has begun.... curious to see where it goes..

Town Drunk

Reaction score
I tried to watch episode one of season four but gave up towards the end. I have no interest in continuing with this series, not when everything else Trek pales in comparison to the latest season of Picard.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose