Star Trek: Discovery (Paramount+)

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I think I'm the opposite of you and yours. I mean, I liked the older shows, but I was craving something different. I didn't even realize what it was until we started getting an influx of hour-long shows of all varieties with overarching plot lines. And you're right--nowadays, there's a ton of this more modern stuff on. Yeah, I can understand why TV isn't working for you and yours. As much as I enjoy it, I wish there was still the content you liked out there too.

wouldn't it be great if these hour long shows these days didn't come packed with40 minutes of commercials?
TWD and GoT...holy Christ you can assemble a childs Christmas toy during the commercials and still have time for a piss.... getting ridiculous.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Actually, I love the overarching plot lines. But I do prefer white hats and black hats, happy endings with nothing but clear skies on the horizon. And I'm tired of heroes that have few redeeming qualities. And I'm really tired of "hero" shows where they end up the target all the time. I want to watch them save the day for other people, not have to save themselves over and again.

I enjoy the occasional Dexter or Breaking Bad but when the lineup seems to be all or mostly all along the lines of Mr Robot, Game of Thrones, Walking Dead variety, it's just too much for me. And the few shows that aren't dark or depressing are aimed at a teen girl audience. It seems gone forever are the days of the Mentalist, Psyche, Gilmore Girls, Buffy TVS, Firefly, Human Target, (early) Grey's Anatomy, Boston Legal, Stargate SG-1, Veronica Mars, Lie to Me, Closer, Space: Above and Beyond, Jericho, Roswell, Angel, Wiseguy and so on. Oh well, maybe I've just given in to getting old.
Just my opinion, but you shouldn't complain about shows being geared towards girls and then say you miss Gilmore Girls and Greys Anatomy. LOL

And remember, some of those shows overstayed their welcome by a LOT. I'm looking at you, Mentalist, Human Target and Buffy. You could have at least mentioned that X-Files is still going. :)

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree which is why I said it will draw the Trek fans but the approach might still fail. I'll watch the pilot and if I think I'll like the series, I'll probably sign up for all access. Truth is, I like almost nothing on TV these days so I'm a little desperate. I know for most posters here, there are a lot of great programs running now but none of them really work for us and they haven't for a few years now. We're so desperate for our kind of viewing that we've been watching classic 50's to 70's shows (mostly game and variety types) on YouTube most nights.

The good news is you should be able to get two episodes of Trek for free because you can get a free 7 day trial. That's what I am going to do.

I am just not going to get caught up in subscribing to every little thing so my monthly bill gets back to basic cable territory.

By the way paying the little extra for no commercials is worth it in Hulu. Just be warned a few shows will still show one commercial before and after because of contract obligations.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just my opinion, but you shouldn't complain about shows being geared towards girls and then say you miss Gilmore Girls and Greys Anatomy. LOL

And remember, some of those shows overstayed their welcome by a LOT. I'm looking at you, Mentalist, Human Target and Buffy. You could have at least mentioned that X-Files is still going. :)

I really don't care if a show is geared towards one gender or another, I watch what I like and could care less about things such as that. But it's unlikely that I'll enjoy a show that specifically targets adolescent females. Gilmore Girls had great characters and clever dialogue, at least early in it's run, so I don't really think of it as a 'girl's show". Same with Grey's Anatomy, it had appeal across genders IMO. I loved GA when it balanced the melodrama with success in the operating room but when they lost interest in that balance, I lost interest in the show.

I probably didn't do a good job of explaining of why TV today doesn't work for me. I don't need non-stop happy. But I think there's an absence of adult-targeted shows that present a world I would like to live in or people I would like to know. I need that far more than I need realism. All too often, even the shows that are very realistic present a world I don't want anything to do with. I like my very small world and I know that it wouldn't make good TV. But the world of today's headlines simply doesn't appeal to me. If it focuses heavily on the misery of today's headlines, it stops providing the escape I'm looking for.

As for Human Target overstaying it's welcome, I would have to disagree. It was an incredible show for the first 12 episodes but it never really found it's audience (scheduling had a lot to do with that) and instead of trying to build an audience they completely retooled the series and that killed the show. AFAIC, it's just a 12 episodes long and it rivals Firefly for my favorite short run series ever.

Mentalist did overstay it's welcome and Buffy needed to come to an end although the sporadic involvement of Whedon along with the network issues had a lot to do with that. Let's face it, there was some horrendous writing the last few seasons of that series. But the diehard Buffy fans would have stayed for a few more decades if they'd continued to provide real Buffy moments.

One final point, I'm not complaining about the TV of today. Much of it looks like it's well done and obviously it has it's audience. I recognize that I no longer matter to the TV industry and that's just life. I wish it were otherwise but I can't fault them.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The good news is you should be able to get two episodes of Trek for free because you can get a free 7 day trial. That's what I am going to do.

I am just not going to get caught up in subscribing to every little thing so my monthly bill gets back to basic cable territory.

By the way paying the little extra for no commercials is worth it in Hulu. Just be warned a few shows will still show one commercial before and after because of contract obligations.

That's my plan too.

BillsCarnage

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The fact that, outside of the pilot, the show is only going to be streamed is silly. Every television in the US gets CBS so why not put it in front of as many eyes as possible.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
The fact that, outside of the pilot, the show is only going to be streamed is silly. Every television in the US gets CBS so why not put it in front of as many eyes as possible.
you would think they could rack up on advertising dollars if the show is any good.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Klingons want the rear of their ship back. o_O

Reactions: LVG
OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
‘Walking Dead’ Star Lands ‘Star Trek: Discovery’ Lead

http://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/news/‘walking-dead’-star-lands-‘star-trek-discovery’-lead/ar-AAlzUrL

You must be registered for see images

“The Walking Dead” actress Sonequa Martin-Green has landed the lead role on CBS All Access’ “Star Trek: Discovery.”

Sources confirmed to Variety that the actress will continue as a series regular on the AMC zombie drama while tackling the lead role on CBS’ relaunch of the science-fiction television franchise.

A representative for CBS declined to comment.

The casting of Martin-Green brings to a close a lengthy search for a lead on “Discovery,” which has struggled with delays since being given a greenlight by CBS last year. Original showrunner Bryan Fuller had at Comic-Con this summer indicated that he wanted to cast a woman of color in the lead role, citing inspiration from Mae Jamison, the first African-American female astronaut and Nichelle Nichols, the lone African-American and lone female cast member on the original “Star Trek” series. In August, speaking at the TelevisionCritics Association press tour, Fuller confirmed that the lead character would be a woman and that she would not hold the rank of captain, as “Star Trek” leads traditionally have.

Martin-Green’s character will hold the rank of lieutenant-commander, though the character’s name is still unknown. The actress has played Sasha Williams on “The Walking Dead” since the show’s third season. Her other credits include CBS’ “The Good Wife” and ABC’s “Once Upon a Time.”

“Discovery” will be the first “Star Trek” series since “Enterprise” ended its run on UPN in 2005. It will premiere in May on the CBS broadcast network, with subsequent episodes streaming exclusively in the U.S. on CBS All Access. The show is set take place 10 years before the events of the original “Star Trek” television series.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
It's a shame because it isn't going to fail because of the content, it's going to fail because of how they are handling the airing of it.

And it will reverberate down the entire series--and with the lackluster showings of the past 2 reboot movies, Star Trek is in real danger of fading from relevance. A shame.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
It's a shame because it isn't going to fail because of the content, it's going to fail because of how they are handling the airing of it.

And it will reverberate down the entire series--and with the lackluster showings of the past 2 reboot movies, Star Trek is in real danger of fading from relevance. A shame.

also... I watch Green every week on TWD... fair actor... but has in no way shown the chops to carry a show as lead... she is not a scene stealer, has no pop when on camera......

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score

You nailed it, Chap. Stop typing things I agree with lol

stewdog1

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
CBS is really screwing over the fans having it behind their proprietary paywall, because they think fans want it so badly that they will pay for it. That is why it will fail.

Also, on of the executives said it opens them up to nudity and language, which is a really poor reason.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
CBS is really screwing over the fans having it behind their proprietary paywall, because they think fans want it so badly that they will pay for it. That is why it will fail.

Also, on of the executives said it opens them up to nudity and language, which is a really poor reason.

Agreed. The problem is Star Trek was already struggling before the revival movies. Fan's simply were tuning out. I really really love Star Trek but they are acting like this is Star Wars (which I think a paywall could work). How about making sure the franchise is on solid ground first before trying something like this?

Seems like a really odd move. I would be shocked if this works but who knows.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cast additions:

http://www.startrek.com/article/discovery-adds-three-starfleet-officers

Sam Vartholomeos has landed the role of Ensign Connor, a Junior Officer in Starfleet Academy assigned to the starship Shenzhou. His credits include The Secret Life of Walter Mitty and The Following.

Maulik Pancholy is on board as Dr. Nambue, the Chief Medical Officer of the starship Shenzhou. Pancholy’s credits include Weeds, Hitch, 30 Rock, Phineas & Ferb, The Good Wife and Sanjay and Craig.

Terry Serpico will play Admiral Anderson, a high-ranking Starfleet official. Serpico’s films and television credits include 100 Centre Street, The Departed, Army Wives, Rescue Me, Sneaky Pete, Elementary and The Purge: Election Year.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Discovery Adds Two More Cast Members

http://www.startrek.com/article/discovery-adds-two-more-cast-members

And the latest additions to the Star Trek: Discovery cast are Jason Isaacs and Mary Wiseman.

Isaacs will play Captain Lorca of the U.S.S. Discovery. The British actor’s credits include Event Horizon, The Patriot, several Harry Potter films, the Rosemary’s Baby miniseries with Zoe Saldana, and Dig. Current and upcoming projects include The OA, London Fields and Hotel Mumbai.

Wiseman will beam aboard the show as Tilly, a Starfleet Academy cadet in her final year of study, assigned to the U.S.S. Discovery. Among the recent Juilliard graduate's TV credits are Difficult People, Longmire and Baskets. Her stage credits include The Octoroon, Therese Raquin (Broadway debut) and The Skin of Our Teeth, currently running at the Theater for a New Audience in Brooklyn, New York.

Passepartout

July 4th Fireworks
Reaction score
Well you can only hope CBS will not screw up Star Trek. And will keep it the way fans love it. But this is a new generation aka the Millennials.