St. Louis - Don't Forget

RedRob

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
My how things have changed, it's easy to not get as excited playing the Rams as let's say playing the 49'ers or Vikings. We're playing against a 1-8 team in a game that does not have as much ramification as other games to come.

Then I remind myself...having grown up in Southern Illinois watching both the Cardinal baseball and football teams my entire childhood I still feel the pain of the Big Red leaving the Gateway City. At the time I can remember for more than a couple of years Bidwill emploring St. Louis to build a replacement for Busch Stadium. The City of St. Louis refused, Bidwill left.

To this day when I talk to folks from back home they still HATE Bidwill. There's no denying that the Cardinal franchise was run rather poorly for many years, on the flip side one has to admit that the Bidwill family consistently sent the same message to their communities over and over, "Build us a stadium and we will spend the $$$$."

Things have worked out for my beloved Cardinals in the long run and St. Louis has a team in shambles that plays in an awful stadium (lighting anyone???). So this Sunday I will remind myself of the thousands of Ram fans sitting there, cheering not for the Rams to win but rather for the Cardinals to lose; and I will remember the importance of this game.

Twist18

Registered
Reaction score
My how things have changed, it's easy to not get as excited playing the Rams as let's say playing the 49'ers or Vikings. We're playing against a 1-8 team in a game that does not have as much ramification as other games to come.

Then I remind myself...having grown up in Southern Illinois watching both the Cardinal baseball and football teams my entire childhood I still feel the pain of the Big Red leaving the Gateway City. At the time I can remember for more than a couple of years Bidwill emploring St. Louis to build a replacement for Busch Stadium. The City of St. Louis refused, Bidwill left.

To this day when I talk to folks from back home they still HATE Bidwill. There's no denying that the Cardinal franchise was run rather poorly for many years, on the flip side one has to admit that the Bidwill family consistently sent the same message to their communities over and over, "Build us a stadium and we will spend the $$$$."

Things have worked out for my beloved Cardinals in the long run and St. Louis has a team in shambles that plays in an awful stadium (lighting anyone???). So this Sunday I will remind myself of the thousands of Ram fans sitting there, cheering not for the Rams to win but rather for the Cardinals to lose; and I will remember the importance of this game.

Amen RR. What part of S. Illinois?

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score

How 'bout:

Beatdownification

Slaughterification

Mincemeatification

Humiliateification

etc

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Murphysboro to be exact (6 miles west of Carbondale).

I did the electrical installation for the Inland Steel Coal Mine right next door to Murphysboro. It was one of the largest underground coal mines in the world at that time.

Treefiddy

Richard Cranium
Reaction score
I thought this was going to be a thread about what happened in 2006 when it seemed like Kurt forgot what team he played for.

OP
OP
RedRob

RedRob

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I did the electrical installation for the Inland Steel Coal Mine right next door to Murphysboro. It was one of the largest underground coal mines in the world at that time.

There used to be A LOT of mining in that area, clean air act wiped most of it out though...my dad's house sits on an old coal mine, had an enormous sink hole earlier this year (about 50' wide and 50' deep).

Now most of the mines are used for prime whitetail deer hunting:)

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave