Spurs @ Suns SL Game Thread 7/10/19

jlove

AZ Born and Bred!!!
Reaction score
I'll say it again...Okobo got to go. He is being outplayed by everyone on the court except Nnoko.

Spalding needs to be re-signed

Leque is looking better and better each game

Raze

Suns fan since '89
Reaction score
He really does. I think he looks better than okobo, even without a jumper. He seems to have pretty good passing instincts, good d, and a really good ability to penetrate and finish.
When you scout for the NFL you look for that twitch to set them apart from other players. Jalen has the twitch in spades. You see it in everything he does. And unlike Okobo, he really digs in on D. He also was clutch today from the free throw line (If I was a mean person I'd wish Steve Smith to ask Dennis Scott what would Nick Anderson do in this situation, but I'm not). He's also a lot humbler than I expected out of a 19 year old. I'm still stunned he didn't get drafted. In another thread I bagged on JJ for missing on some off season moves. This is one I forgot to mention he deserves credit for. He still needs to slow down in the lane, but that's normal talk for 19 year olds. Great find.

The 1st half was a snoozer. I'm locking into Harper, Lecque, and Okobo as I see zero potential elsewhere.

Okobo played more as a PG tonight looking to set up team mates (aka ACTUALLY pass the ball). He was efficient with his shooting, but had two ugly lay up misses. He still has awful footwork on D. Staggering he hasn't worked on that.

Harper looked lethargic in the first half. Actually, he looked defeated. Not what you would expect from a guy who has a long shot to make the team. He just had no energy. He picked it up in the 2nd half a bit. But not enough to really garner the right attention. He's always in it defensively when his man has ball. He has great hands and uses his sloth arms to swat at balls. He's also very good at using his speed to get his body in position to take away what his man wants. Good job on taking charges. BUT DANG, someone needs to show him his film when he's off ball. He's awful. Like bottom barrel awful. Awful screens on O, awful hands in lanes on D, awful anticipation of defensive switches, awful footwork when they're running through the offense... that was truly depressing to watch. I was rooting for him until I saw that.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The 1st half was a snoozer. I'm locking into Harper, Lecque, and Okobo as I see zero potential elsewhere.

You don't see anything in Spalding? I don't think he'll be a great starter but I could see him as a Steven Hunter type of a backup for us. Bring him in for key defensive positions to block a shot or guard the rim. He has some potential as a good backup big and has proven as much in SL play so far, IMO.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Spalding should be on the Dleague team. He is not ready yet but maybe in a year. I think he could be a NBA bench player in 1-2 years.

Lecque deserves the label "diamond in the rough". I have high hopes for where this kid will be in 2 years. Might be the most excitement I have had for a rookie on this team since I don't know how long.
Might be a case where people are going to shake their heads wondering how this kid could possibly go undrafted.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
He really does. I think he looks better than okobo, even without a jumper. He seems to have pretty good passing instincts, good d, and a really good ability to penetrate and finish.

His freethrows looked very good (11 of 13). I am hopeful that he will develop a jumper.

Even if he does not develop a jumper, with his explosiveness and the rate of getting to the line he should be effective. 13 free throw attempts in 50 minutes so far that is really good and he didn't even play many possessions on the ball.

When he shoots threes I think it was apparent that he simply struggled with the strength required to comfortably shoot from that range. Seemed like he had to put too much effort into just getting the necessary range on the shot which makes it harder to be accurate and he was still short on the attempt I remember.

Last edited:

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Spalding should be on the Dleague team. He is not ready yet but maybe in a year. I think he could be a NBA bench player in 1-2 years.

Lecque deserves the label "diamond in the rough". I have high hopes for where this kid will be in 2 years. Might be the most excitement I have had for a rookie on this team since I don't know how long.
Might be a case where people are going to shake their heads wondering how this kid could possibly go undrafted.
Still blows my mind that someone with his athleticism and physical profile went completely undrafted. Don't get why someone wouldn't at least take a chance with a late 2nd, but I am happy to have him.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And yet they don’t qualify for the top 8 tournament due to the earthquake game that wasn’t played.

I didn't know that it had been determined yet.

It doesn't mean much but I would have liked to see them play another game or two to get my basketball fix.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Well, this off-season is certainly going to give us insight into James Jones' eye for talent. With McD, he often made the obvious draft choice--the consensus pick at the time. It was hard to know if that was him or he was just following the mocks.

1. Cam Johnson. Traded down to get this player, but still drafted him above consensus.
2. Ty Jerome. Not drafted significantly above consensus, but there were plenty of value picks available at the time.
3. Lecque. Undrafted 19 year old player given an unprecedented four year deal. If this kid hits, JJ should be revered.

I know JJ is being criticized for not getting value back in deals he made, but his team building philosophy seems sound, and there are glimpses that he eye for talent might be pretty good.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
@Superbone

I found this about the Suns in summer league:

The Suns’ “regular season” for the NBA’s Summer League in Las Vegas ended on Wednesday night with a 79-78 win over the San Antonio Spurs.

They will go on to play in either one consolation game on Friday or Saturday or in an eight-team tournament that begins on Saturday.

https://arizonasports.com/story/200...-from-vegas-with-suns-roster-nearly-complete/
Yeah, that's what I'm saying. They don't qualify for the eight-team tourney on Saturday as their 2-1 record can't compete with 3-1 records.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, that's what I'm saying. They don't qualify for the eight-team tourney on Saturday as their 2-1 record can't compete with 3-1 records.

Okay, I wasn't aware of this. It doesn't seem fair with the earthquake.

I still get my basketball fix if they play another game which makes it better.

Raze

Suns fan since '89
Reaction score
You don't see anything in Spalding? I don't think he'll be a great starter but I could see him as a Steven Hunter type of a backup for us. Bring him in for key defensive positions to block a shot or guard the rim. He has some potential as a good backup big and has proven as much in SL play so far, IMO.
You're right. I totally forgot about him. In my mind it was a foregone conclusion that he makes the team so I kinda blanked him out. He continues to be a man among boys in the paint.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I like lecque. But I’m seeing more undersized 2 guard than potential pg at this stage. That may change over time, but as of now I don’t see much lead guard potential. Sloppy passer. But man that step and athleticism. And I liked that he digs on defense.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Gina Mizell tweeted that the Suns didn't qualify for the tournament. Suns can't qualify for the playoff in SL because the league is against them. Does Stern run Summer League now?

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
we would have needed a blowout win vs Denver in the cancelled game to make it to the top 8 since 10 or so teams were tied at 3-1 and it goes by point differential.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave