Spider-man out of the MCU: Marvel, Sony Can't Reach Deal

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
this SUCKS. Marvel had done a great job re-booting this Spidey. Wonder how this impacts the Avengers going forward.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Unbelievable. Marvel did this to themselves by splitting up their properties so much over the years. They fractured their own universe of characters. :|

Stupid move on Sony's part, IMHO.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I’ve always liked the actor playing Spider-Man more than the actual character. Tobey McGuire, Andrew Garfield and Tom Holland were all spot on at the time.

#randomthought

OP
OP
Town Drunk

Town Drunk

Longest serving ASFN lurker
Reaction score
Unbelievable. Marvel did this to themselves by splitting up their properties so much over the years. They fractured their own universe of characters. :|

Sony wanted to keep the same deal, Disney wanted to change it.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sony wanted to keep the same deal, Disney wanted to change it.

I get that, but Marvel's involvement took the character to new heights and Sony cashed in. Marvel was smart and held onto the merchandising rights so they do make money on Spidey regardless of what Sony does with the films. Surprised that Sony was so quick to slam the door on negotiations with the success of the MCU Spidey, that's all. Although some on twitter are saying it isn't a done deal yet.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Didn’t they do that because nobody was buying comic books in the 90s and they were going broke so they had to start selling off stuff

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Irony is that at the D23 Expo this weekend they unveiled the new Avengers Campus at Disneyland that will feature a new Spider-Man Ride.

OP
OP
Town Drunk

Town Drunk

Longest serving ASFN lurker
Reaction score
The Irony is that at the D23 Expo this weekend they unveiled the new Avengers Campus at Disneyland that will feature a new Spider-Man Ride.

I think they work out a “last second” deal.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Marvel (Disney) still owns all but the film rights. In 2011, when Sony Pictures was hard up for cash they sold back the merchandising rights to Spider-Man.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess there was a 95/5 split in Sony's favor for the film profits. That's crazy by any standard. Disney was asking for 50/50 split since they were handling production.

It's such B.S. There is so much money to go around. I have no faith in Sony. None. TH seems to be willing to just go the Sony only path. You can't blame the kid. He gets the role of a lifetime.

It's just B.S. Now everything that comes out of Disney/Marvel that is Spiderman will be generic. Not TH.

Sony is going to screw it up and the Avengers property is losing a major peace that young fans love.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess there was a 95/5 split in Sony's favor for the film profits. That's crazy by any standard. Disney was asking for 50/50 split since they were handling production.

It's such B.S. There is so much money to go around. I have no faith in Sony. None. TH seems to be willing to just go the Sony only path. You can't blame the kid. He gets the role of a lifetime.

It's just B.S. Now everything that comes out of Disney/Marvel that is Spiderman will be generic. Not TH.

Sony is going to screw it up and the Avengers property is losing a major peace that young fans love.

you might not have any faith in Sony, but they did make THE best Spiderman movie ever IMO with Into The Spiderverse. If Sony were smart, they'd make Lord and Miller the godfathers of whatever comes next with Spidey and if they did that, I'd have no issues moving forward. Those guys can do no wrong.

Reaction score
you might not have any faith in Sony, but they did make THE best Spiderman movie ever IMO with Into The Spiderverse. If Sony were smart, they'd make Lord and Miller the godfathers of whatever comes next with Spidey and if they did that, I'd have no issues moving forward. Those guys can do no wrong.

I would watch a Spider-Ham origin movie made by them. Into the Spiderverse is one of my top Spider-man movies. I didn't think I would like it but after reading the reviews on here I watched it & was pleasantly surprised.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score

I don't put animated movies and live action movies in the same category. Loved Into the Spiderverse but that's a different beast all together. Plus, no matter what they do, it will be a disconnected property once again. Part of what set Marvel apart was a sense of connection to the broader universe. That will be gone. Maybe they could make a decent film but it won't be the same.

Last edited:

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
And just like that, a deal has been reached to do one more movie.

https://comicbook.com/marvel/2019/09/26/spider-man-marvel-studios-sony-one-more-film/

To much money at stake and SONY knew they screwed the pooch on the live action film franchise. I think not having the Marvel creative team ultimately was too much of a risk for Sony until they figure out a longer term plan.

It is for only one FINAL collaboration film though with Spiderman. My guess is that it will be sort of "I have to focus on my own city" type things setting up the character to go it alone.

There is still a hot rumor that Apple wants to buy Sony pictures. If that happens, the rights revert back to Disney/Marvel. So for Marvel it might be a wait and see type thing. That deal should either materialize or fizzle by that time.

It's suspect while Marvel would collaborate verses say see ya...have fun. Not to mention Sony all of the sudden willing to do a last film together after trying to sell they can do it alone. Something tells me there are other motivations here like Sony really looking for a buyer.

Last edited:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
sweet! kid should be playing in the sandbox with all the other Marvel heroes, especially after we just lost three Avengers.