Sources: Cardinals Fire Longtime Head Athletic Trainer Tom Reed

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The usual Card's media people speculating that this is something to do with the NFLPA report, which seems nonsense considering that was one area that was good.

Considering we just got a new Director of Football Performance that overseas all aspects of training wouldn't it be more likely that there is some kind of issue there? Maybe there was a clash? Maybe Tom didn't like the new direction?

He's been here 15 years. He didn't get on with the new boss that just came in seems more plausible.

Last edited:

Dan H

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Curious how our injury rates compared to other teams. My wife is an ATC and the profession is always changing. If the guy had been in place for 15 years maybe he wasn’t keeping up on refinements and advancements to techniques and treatments?

splitsecond

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Curious how our injury rates compared to other teams. My wife is an ATC and the profession is always changing. If the guy had been in place for 15 years maybe he wasn’t keeping up on refinements and advancements to techniques and treatments?
I 100% believe this is the case. Really easy for guys at the top to refuse to do new things, heck it’s easy for anyone. My general observation the last few years has been that injuries have become a problem - in particular injuries that can be avoided via proper training. I have zero numbers or examples to back this up but can remember thinking it multiple times in the last 3-4 years. Some of this is related to pace of play and running out of shotgun all the dang time but even some of that is preventable with proper training.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Watched the last episode on YouTube talking about draft process, i saw some faces from the previous regime
Probably they have an open ended contract

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
Didn’t he win trainer of the year, not last year but the year before? Last year was a disaster for injuries. It seemed to start when most starters played little to none in the preseason.

Reactions: PJ1

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Didn’t he win trainer of the year, not last year but the year before? Last year was a disaster for injuries. It seemed to start when most starters played little to none in the preseason.
It was for his handling of COVID.....I think.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm dumbfounded on this one. We had a lot of soft tissue injuries the last two years and and I put that more on Buddy Morris. Buddy is an old school Golds Gym type and I think, IMHO, that is why we see so many soft tissue issues. Tom Reed's job was was made harder by this. It feels like Tom should have stayed, and Buddy should have gone.

Of course, this is my opinion from the 10,000 foot view of things.

Zalixar

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Just 5 days ago Fitz defended the facilities and player treatment and had high praise for Tom Reed…

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Hmmm. Long standing company man who doesn't ruffle feathers continues to be company man and doesn't ruffle feathers. Interesting indeed.

Zalixar

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Fitz isn't employed by anyone and didn't have to say a word.

He certainly doesn't. He hasn't offered much criticism, if any at all, towards the Cardinals organization/anything to do with Bidwill, past or present. He may not be employed but he certainly toes the line regardless. Out of respect I'm guessing.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
not sure of the corporate structure. But is it possible this guy was responsible for keeping the facilities maintained? I know I would be pretty upset if a report came out blasting the condition of my gym if the guy I put in charge never once mentioned it needed attention.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
not sure of the corporate structure. But is it possible this guy was responsible for keeping the facilities maintained? I know I would be pretty upset if a report came out blasting the condition of my gym if the guy I put in charge never once mentioned it needed attention.

Athletic trainers take care of injured players from the point when the injury happens through the recovery process. I doubt they are involved in the maintenance of the gym.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
He's in charge of rehab, bumps and bruises. Maybe there was an issue with players rehabbing???

Dayman

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
From the Odegard article:

"The Cardinals were given an F-minus for their training room amenities, although Reed and the rest of the training staff graded out at a B-plus, which was tied for the second-best grade on the report card."

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose