Sony and Microsoft team up

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
wow.

Googles cloud gaming must have forced this. Sony wouldnt even do cross platform for years while everyone else was doing it. Fortnite broke that mold finally, then rocket league and mroe to come.

Now sony and microsoft are working together on cloud gaming. It seemed that with microsoft so far ahead in cloud gaming, the xbox could end up smacking sony around but have now partnered with them:

Sony and Microsoft team up on cloud-based gaming and entertainment

https://www.engadget.com/2019/05/16...XsbkPJvVuqQnSwSVbuyXQpm-29aqS80A7JOGA8pSlTKI7

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
wow.

Googles cloud gaming must have forced this. Sony wouldnt even do cross platform for years while everyone else was doing it. Fortnite broke that mold finally, then rocket league and mroe to come.

Now sony and microsoft are working together on cloud gaming. It seemed that with microsoft so far ahead in cloud gaming, the xbox could end up smacking sony around but have now partnered with them:

Sony and Microsoft team up on cloud-based gaming and entertainment

https://www.engadget.com/2019/05/16...XsbkPJvVuqQnSwSVbuyXQpm-29aqS80A7JOGA8pSlTKI7

I think both companies see the writing on the wall with where console gaming is going. I just don't see console gaming as it exists today being around for much longer. I see cloud gaming eventually taking off to the point where someday gamers won't care what tech is sitting behind the scenes. They just want a box to access it similar to Roku, AppleTV or Amazon Fire. All very similar but maybe a preference to one brand over the other.

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think both companies see the writing on the wall with where console gaming is going. I just don't see console gaming as it exists today being around for much longer. I see cloud gaming eventually taking off to the point where someday gamers won't care what tech is sitting behind the scenes. They just want a box to access it similar to Roku, AppleTV or Amazon Fire. All very similar but maybe a preference to one brand over the other.
That is where it is going, it is just a question of latency, button lag and etc for online gaming.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is where it is going, it is just a question of latency, button lag and etc for online gaming.

Not only that but internet caps and metering needs to be addressed. It's going to be biggest hindrance towards mass adoption. People with 4K TV for example are seeing huge spikes for internet usage when streaming 4K content. That's with only minimal app participation with 4K content (many apps still not streaming in 4K) let alone the uptick with new audio like Dolby ATMOS.

Now they want to throw high end gaming into the mix? People are going to have absolute cows about the cost of metered internet and the amount of bandwidth chewed up by Cloud gaming.

That has to be fixed for this to go anywhere.

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not only that but internet caps and metering needs to be addressed. It's going to be biggest hindrance towards mass adoption. People with 4K TV for example are seeing huge spikes for internet usage when streaming 4K content. That's with only minimal app participation with 4K content (many apps still not streaming in 4K) let alone the uptick with new audio like Dolby ATMOS.

Now they want to throw high end gaming into the mix? People are going to have absolute cows about the cost of metered internet and the amount of bandwidth chewed up by Cloud gaming.

That has to be fixed for this to go anywhere.
100%

I havent subscribed to 4k programming because of this. Would rather buy a 4k blu ray and save money.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
This is ridiculous. Until/unless there are major upgrades to infrastructure and major changes to how com providers price and distribute, the kind of higher end streaming required for cloud gaming is going to make it extremely niche and/or a very bumpy experience for early adopters.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is ridiculous. Until/unless there are major upgrades to infrastructure and major changes to how com providers price and distribute, the kind of higher end streaming required for cloud gaming is going to make it extremely niche and/or a very bumpy experience for early adopters.

Agreed. I'll give you my physical discs when you pry them from my cold, dead, Dorito-stained hands.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Right now, it’s pretty simple why this won’t work, especially in the US—our networks simply aren’t strong enough. I can see this happening in Japan but we’re nowhere near having the capability here.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Right now, it’s pretty simple why this won’t work, especially in the US—our networks simply aren’t strong enough. I can see this happening in Japan but we’re nowhere near having the capability here.

The average speed in America is climbing and isn't as bad it used to be. By some metrics, our speeds are higher than Japan for example.

Data caps are a bigger problem for this than speeds themselves.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The average speed in America is climbing and isn't as bad it used to be. By some metrics, our speeds are higher than Japan for example.

Data caps are a bigger problem for this than speeds themselves.

Exactly data caps is the biggest issue right now. We need some new legislation.