Song of Ice & Fire (aka Game of Thrones series)

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
So, now that the show has ended, and presumably we know the outcome of the books, a couple of questions:

1) Will Martin ever publish the final book (s)
2) Do you have any interest in reading them?

Interesting re-reading this thread.

I am thinking of rereading them all...
if he ever publishes I will read them but I dont feel any urgency...more a curiosity to see what changes he has compared to the HBO writers.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Musings from the re-read

1) I had forgotten how badly Catelyn hated Jon Snow (for no good reason, it turns out)
2) The three-eyed Raven dream Bran had early on (while injured - I had forgotten how early that was introduced.
3) Joffrey is still a dick.

And when will Martin explain the Seasons in his world??

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So, now that the show has ended, and presumably we know the outcome of the books, a couple of questions:

1) Will Martin ever publish the final book (s)
2) Do you have any interest in reading them?

Interesting re-reading this thread.

I am thinking of rereading them all...
Musings from the re-read

1) I had forgotten how badly Catelyn hated Jon Snow (for no good reason, it turns out)
2) The three-eyed Raven dream Bran had early on (while injured - I had forgotten how early that was introduced.
3) Joffrey is still a dick.

And when will Martin explain the Seasons in his world??

I think Martin will publish his next book and then the final book will end up being co-written by someone.

Yes, I will still read them, I suspect there will be some major differences from the show. Not necessarily where things end up, but the HOW they get there will be completely different. It will also be nice to read the musings of Arya, Tyrion and others, characters who Martin constructed beautifully and that the show turned into one dimensional robots once the book material was gone.

I haaaaaaaated Catelyn, her chapters were a brutal read. I had virtually no sympathy for her and "Lady Stoneheart's" emergence was one book twist I'm glad was left out.

I don't think Martin will bother to explain how the seasons work and I don't think he needs to. I'd guess that a world with a climate like this would have an elliptical orbit and a wobble in it's rotation, making for seemingly inconsistent and random seasons for anyone without a firm grasp of astronomy. Given the medieval technology of the books, it seems that kind of science would be almost entirely unknown.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I want to reread the series myself, I'm just not a huge fan of his long, drawn out paragraphs describing what everyone is eating. It's tedious.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I want to reread the series myself, I'm just not a huge fan of his long, drawn out paragraphs describing what everyone is eating. It's tedious.

It can be, yes, but the nice thing about having read it already is I can skim through some of the crap

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well I finished the re-read. Took me two months ;)

I did skim some the tedium chapters that Martin goes overboard on details.

The whole Dorne story, especially Quentin, was pointless and tedious.

I had forgotten about the other Prince Aegon. Will be interested in how that is resolved.

I found myself youtubing some of the scenes that were pretty close between book and movie (like when Dany first acquired the Unsullied).

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
So Martin signs a new deal with HBO. Speculation now is that he will never complete the Song of Ice and Fire.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
So Martin signs a new deal with HBO. Speculation now is that he will never complete the Song of Ice and Fire.

I think there's zero chance he'll ever finish them. At one point my hope was that we'd at least get Winds of Winter but I'm falling into the camp now that he's not even going to finish it. It's a shame that we're never going to get a proper ending for it. I think the show gave us we things were eventually going to end up but the path there was going to be different. Plus we have all the story lines the show left out and we know the white walkers will be different.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score

Yeah, the next book will never come out, let alone the rest of the series.

As an artist myself, for years I was in his camp, as in an "you don't pressure artists because that's a dick move" kind of attitude. Then, yeah, he went so far beyond the pale, and got to the point where he sure as shooting has an obligation to the fans. He's faffing the project off to make crap tons of money off a property he has no intention of finishing, IMO, which is a dick move in and of itself.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm worried that I might be old and senile by the time "Winds of Winter" comes out.

I had pretty much forgotten about "The Winds of Winter" until I saw this bump. At one point 5 years ago I was looking for news almost monthly as to when it might be released.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
I had pretty much forgotten about "The Winds of Winter" until I saw this bump. At one point 5 years ago I was looking for news almost monthly as to when it might be released.
I've completely given up now. I used to think we might get Winds but not A Dream of Spring. Now I'd be surprised if we ever see either. George wrote himself into a monster and I really think he doesn't know how to tie it back together. With that, he's having more fun doing the TV shows and being a celebrity writer.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA