Somers' Article - Spot On - Warner vs Palmer Signing

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
People have selective memory about this kind of stuff. And while Palmer never had a season like Warner had with Rams in the earlier part of this decade, his ceiling is high enough that he went #1 overall and had this season:

2005 16 GP 345/509 67.8% 3836 Yards 32 TDs 12 INTS and 101.8 QB Rating

vinnymac

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I was all for the Kurt Warner signing before he signed with the Gaints. All for it when he signed with the Cardinals.

I am just as happy with the Palmer signing. Palmer comes in a better situation than Warner. Palmer is going to have a better coaching staff and better players around him then Warner did when he came here. I see Palmer having the same kind of numbers as Warner. Hopefully Palmer can do what Warner couldn't do and that is bring home a Lombardi throphy.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
good article but so say there is no way palmer will have more success? I would have left it open.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
good article but so say there is no way palmer will have more success? I would have left it open.

Warner came into a less talented team overall, and a much easier division as well.

I see Palmer as not needing to carry the team as much as they should be a bit more balanced running and passing.

He has a good opportunity here and can become a good game manager. He doesn't really have to force anything. Patience will be a huge key here. Letting the flow come to you and taking advantage while the iron is hot.

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
He could be better than Warner here. That's why you play the games. Now, is it likely for him to surpass Warner's single season type numbers. Of course not. Impossible. No.

But Palmer has a shot to start for a longer period, so in a sense, yes he could put up better total numbers on the Cards.

He could play five or more years. Will he, who knows. Maybe he's gone after two.

But we didn't win the Superbowl, yet starting next season only Palmer and not Warner have a shot at doing that.

I don't care about likelihood, there is a shot. Warner's shot is 0 of doing it.

I really think this will be the best fit in terms of system and talent he's ever had in the pros. Combine that with his veteran head and he could still have some of his best years ahead of him.

Could you imagine John Skelton and Ryan Lindley on the Raiders last season? Wow. It would make the '08 Lions look like the 72 Dolphins.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Palmer is an above average QB. He might not be considered elite but I will stand by my opinion that the likes of Tony Romo are no better than Palmer and Romo is a good QB. We are very fortunate to have Palmer and he is only 33 and dude is no running back that has taken the pounding...he still has a few years in front of him and I could care less what the morbid Raider nation could not get out of him.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Warner looked completely done when he came to the desert, but Palmer has still been playing some solid QB up until now. So Palmer coming in looks better right now than Warner did when he came to Arizona. Highly unlikely that Palmer will reach the things that Warner did, but I won't go calling it impossible either.

DoTheDew

Registered
Reaction score
People have selective memory about this kind of stuff. And while Palmer never had a season like Warner had with Rams in the earlier part of this decade, his ceiling is high enough that he went #1 overall and had this season:

2005 16 GP 345/509 67.8% 3836 Yards 32 TDs 12 INTS and 101.8 QB Rating

The real difference, for me, is that Warner had the SB pedigree. Palmer's playoff history is simply 0-2 in Wild Card games. Actually it may as well be 0-1 since he only had 1 passing attempt in the first one (still remember that nasty injury).

Warner had that special something that you can't quantify on paper. Palmer has never shown that he has that.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The real difference, for me, is that Warner had the SB pedigree. Palmer's playoff history is simply 0-2 in Wild Card games. Actually it may as well be 0-1 since he only had 1 passing attempt in the first one (still remember that nasty injury).

Warner had that special something that you can't quantify on paper. Palmer has never shown that he has that.

The talent around Warner in St. Louis was leaps and bounds better than the best team Palmer had with the Bangles.

Rudi Johnson, T.J. Houshmandzadeh and Chad Johnson were the best threat he had when the team went 11-5 and were one and done when Palmer went down with the injury. And we will never know what that team could ahve done that year since Palmer went down. After that, thier running game went down hill and by the time they got a running game again, T.J. and Chad were gone.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score

I know there is no way to prove this, but just imagine what Palmer might have been able to do with the teams that Warner made playoff runs with. In StL Warner had 4 very fast guys that made "The Greatest Show on Turf". Isaac Bruce, Torry Holt, Marshall Faulk and Az Hakim were all 4.4 or faster in the 40 and at least 2 of those guys will be in the HoF. In AZ he had possibly the best receiving core currently in the NFL Fitz, Boldin and Breaston and during the SB run he also had Edge who didn't have much of regular season that year, but played pretty solid in the playoffs.

The best receiver Palmer ever had was Chad "Ochocinco" Johnson who is a pretty good WR, but certainly not as good as Fitz, Boldin, Holt or Bruce. Now I'm not declaring that Palmer would have been just as successful with those teams as Warner was, but certainly would have had much better success than he has had with the teams that he has played for and I don't think anyone can argue against that.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
The talent around Warner in St. Louis was leaps and bounds better than the best team Palmer had with the Bangles.

Rudi Johnson, T.J. Houshmandzadeh and Chad Johnson were the best threat he had when the team went 11-5 and were one and done when Palmer went down with the injury. And we will never know what that team could ahve done that year since Palmer went down. After that, thier running game went down hill and by the time they got a running game again, T.J. and Chad were gone.
I would also point out that his WR talent Warner had with the Cards in 2008 was far superior to the WR talent Palmer has had in his career as well.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Comparisons between the two are reasonable going in, but because each guy will of had different coaches, defenses and supporting cast of linemen, receivers, RB's etc., the outcomes are likely to vary as well.

Or not.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would also point out that his WR talent Warner had with the Cards in 2008 was far superior to the WR talent Palmer has had in his career as well.

Yup, Breaston gives him the big edge. Fitz and Q vs. T.J. and Chad from a production standpoint is close, but Fitz and Q are 1000X more intelligant football players. So, that shows how good Palmer was in those couple of years.

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score
Comparisons between the two are reasonable going in, but because each guy will of had different coaches, defenses and supporting cast of linemen, receivers, RB's etc., the outcomes are likely to vary as well.

Or not.

So very right in noting this. There was Whiz, trying his best not to play Warner, until Leinart irked him so badly for his check downs that he let Warner do 2 minute drills, then platooned them. Even Whiz noticed the difference, and went to Warner the next year, and the story was reborn.

Palmer, on the other hand comes in with complete trust of the Coaches. His talents will be catered to by way of scheme, as opposed to Whiz grudgingly giving in to Warner.

This staff will more than likely work to build a good O-line to keep Palmer on his feet as best as can be done. Not so with Warner.

We may not have the receiving corps that we had with Warner, but we WILL use TE's in the scheme, we WILL run the ball some, and our WR's are at least decent, all of which will help Palmer to be successful.

This staff seems to be far more flexible in their thoughts and actions than Whiz and company were. Because of that, (and the fact that Palmer has something to prove to the world), I will not close the door on the fact that Palmer just might be VERY successful here. I am prepared for a very interesting season indeed.