Somers article, 9/7

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
It's no secret, Cam is horrible against the blitz, and Horton knows that. Just gotta be cognizant of screens and draws.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
I'd feel so much better about this if A-Dub were 100%. Newton's a big boy and amazingly quick & athletic. If he breaks into our secondary, I honestly can't see any of our DB's posing much of a threat to him.

Dockett and Campbell will have to come up HUGE and provide Newton with multiple "welcomes" to the NFL!! If they don't, Newton will have the potential of playing well... something that will be incredibly demoralizing.
Call me crazy, but I'm not looking for Porter or Haggans to be greeting Newton in the backfield much at all... hope I'm wrong!

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
I'd feel so much better about this if A-Dub were 100%. Newton's a big boy and amazingly quick & athletic. If he breaks into our secondary, I honestly can't see any of our DB's posing much of a threat to him.
Peterson is a big physical corner that isnt' scared to tackle, he can manage taking down Newton no problem. In Horton's scheme, the corner's have contain responsibilities, so Jefferson and Peterson will be seeing a lot of Newton if he tries to scramble.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Peterson is a big physical corner that isnt' scared to tackle, he can manage taking down Newton no problem. In Horton's scheme, the corner's have contain responsibilities, so Jefferson and Peterson will be seeing a lot of Newton if he tries to scramble.

If Jefferson and Peterson are "seeing a lot of Newton", I just don't think that's a positive sign. Newton spending a lot of time in our defensive backfield just isn't a recipe for success. Unless PP can knock his ass out! ;)

Last edited:

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
If Jefferson and Peterson are "seeing a lot of Newton", I just don't think that's a positive sign. Newton spending a lot of time in our defensive backfield just isn't a recipe for success. Unless PP can knock his ass out! ;)
Fixed it for you :)

Again, that's only if Cam breaks containment, which obviously is only going to be a few times, so I dont think theres much to worry about :) I would love to see PP sent on a CB blitz and destroy Cam, I'm waiting for it!!

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Expect Horton to put a spy on Newton; only he'll disguise who it will be and probably use a different spy from down to down.

Last edited:

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
Expect Horton to put a spy on Newton; only he'll disguise who it will be and probably use a different spy from down to down.
Wilson and Washington were my best guesses for QB spies. I can see Horton doing a lot of 1-5-5/2-4-5 formations to confuse Newton, and showing a lot of mock pressures before snaps to make him uneasy. I would be extremely surprised if Cam threw for more than 150 yards...

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Wilson and Washington were my best guesses for QB spies. I can see Horton doing a lot of 1-5-5/2-4-5 formations to confuse Newton, and showing a lot of mock pressures before snaps to make him uneasy. I would be extremely surprised if Cam threw for more than 150 yards...

Yea... I really don't worry much about the total passing yards. What he does on 3rd down will be interesting to watch and a good indicator for this game. If he's able to convert, either with his legs or thru the air, on 3rd down, it will spell trouble for us.
Of course, I am expecting a very efficient game from our offense so hopefully, we'll control the ball and the game and not give Newton too many chances to do his thing!

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yea... I really don't worry much about the total passing yards. What he does on 3rd down will be interesting to watch and a good indicator for this game. If he's able to convert, either with his legs or thru the air, on 3rd down, it will spell trouble for us.
Of course, I am expecting a very efficient game from our offense so hopefully, we'll control the ball and the game and not give Newton too many chances to do his thing!
Part of solving Newton will involve sure, wrap-up tackling and no "bouncing off" the dude. Also lane-discipline & outside contain.

Last edited:

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score

Horton better be running a lot of Dockett, Williams, and Campbell or Carolina will do what they always do to CKW teams in the regular season. Run the ball all day long and go home with a win.

I still can't believe those pecker heads beat us with only 85 yards passing in 2009.

Rivercard

Too much good stuff
Reaction score
I still can't believe those pecker heads beat us with only 85 yards passing in 2009.

Oh yeah, the only game I can ever recall where the starting QB's for both teams were not even on their team's roster the previous week.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Oh yeah, the only game I can ever recall where the starting QB's for both teams were not even on their team's roster the previous week.

Different game. Warner threw 5 picks and Delhomme was 7-14.

The Testaverde vs Rattay game was in 2007.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
Horton better be running a lot of Dockett, Williams, and Campbell or Carolina will do what they always do to CKW teams in the regular season. Run the ball all day long and go home with a win.

We better be seeing mostly zone coverages as Horton has said while blitzing or lanes could be open for Scam to beat us with his feet...which scares the hell out of me.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is also something to be said for staying home and not let Newton break containment if he is not a polished passer. I think blitzing should be used judiciously. My thinking is Newton will want to run the ball.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
There is also something to be said for staying home and not let Newton break containment if he is not a polished passer. I think blitzing should be used judiciously. My thinking is Newton will want to run the ball.

I know John Fox is gone but Rivera can't be so stupid as to ignore the Cardinals weakness vs the run.

I think he keeps Cam on a tight lease and tries to repeat Fox' success in pounding Williams and Stewart at the Cardinals. Last season we gave them their 2nd highest rushing total, 177.

2009 their highest rushing total, 270.

A lot of the same guys are playing Sunday.

This could be the litmus test for Big Dan Williams and Daryl Washington.

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
I know John Fox is gone but Rivera can't be so stupid as to ignore the Cardinals weakness vs the run.

I think he keeps Cam on a tight lease and tries to repeat Fox' success in pounding Williams and Stewart at the Cardinals. Last season we gave them their 2nd highest rushing total, 177.

Is there anyway to look at missed tackling stats? And if so, can we somehow correlate that with Bill Davis? It's pretty well known that Davis is a horrible DC, and I'm curious to see if his defenses' in San Fran were also horrible at tackling? Food for thought...

Last edited:
OP
OP
O

O

LD @ F.O.H.
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score

One big change!

Subtract Billy Davis add Ray Horton.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Is there anyway to look at missed tackling stats? And if so, can we somehow correlate that with Bill Davis? It's pretty well known that Davis is a horrible DC, and I'm curious to see if his defenses' in San Fran were also horrible at tackling also? Food for thought...

Fox and Carolina ran all over Pendy's defense as well in 2007 racking up 181 yards.

Poor tackling has been a problem for a long time. I was calling the Cards Defense the Matador squad well before Davis arrived.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson