Someone explain AJ Green to me?

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I appreciate that, and ditto. I feel when we disagree it's because an honest difference of opinion. So why the need to "warn" other posters off me? That's not on.
Maybe a bit of frustration.

I see this playing out where neither side is right just like last year LOL

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There's an article about his signing on teh Cards site. he says it would be fair to say there were communication issues with he and Kyler he wants to clear up this year. not a blame thing he says I need to be able to tell him what I see, and I need him to tell me what he wants me to do, get in my face and tell me I can take it. No comment on who was at fault in the GB game.

Positive comments. he said he had other offers but didn't want to start over in a new offense, plus said he had unfinished business didn't like the way he played down the stretch last year wants to do more.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
There's an article about his signing on teh Cards site. he says it would be fair to say there were communication issues with he and Kyler he wants to clear up this year. not a blame thing he says I need to be able to tell him what I see, and I need him to tell me what he wants me to do, get in my face and tell me I can take it. No comment on who was at fault in the GB game.

Positive comments. he said he had other offers but didn't want to start over in a new offense, plus said he had unfinished business didn't like the way he played down the stretch last year wants to do more.
The Cardinals offer was likely the best I would imagine.

If he comes out and replicates last year's stats, I'll be happy.

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Better than nothing but effort lacked at times. Looked to get down after catching the ball even when room was there. Still good at the 50-50 ball though.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

Those are the right words. Let’s see what he brings to the field

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Last edited:

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Sadly, the main thing I took from this is another thing that Kyler isn;t doing that he should be doing.

It's clear from the article that Green feels Kyler hasn't been giving him the direction and feedback he expects.
Yikes, that is a stunning indictment of KM. We thought it was just maturity and study, but is he lacking in football IQ as well? Or can we just lump this in with his lack of study/poor film work ethic? Either way, it's not good.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yikes, that is a stunning indictment of KM. We thought it was just maturity and study, but is he lacking in football IQ as well? Or can we just lump this in with his lack of study/poor film work ethic? Either way, it's not good.

I think it's more a personality/leadership thing and probably one of the sources of the poor leadership accusations we heard earlier in the year. Heck, wouldn't surprise me if Green was the source of those.

Do you recall an episode of all or nothing where Carson Palmer is practicing with David Johnson. Johnson is running routes and Palmer is calling him out and telling him what he's doing wrong and how to run the route how he wants.

Seems Kyler still isn't doing that. I don't think it's that Kyler doesn't know, more that he doesn't feel it's his job or he feels uncomfortable doing it.

Kliff let's him get away with far too much. They need to stop wrapping him in cotton wool and treat him like any other player.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I think it's more a personality/leadership thing and probably one of the sources of the poor leadership accusations we heard earlier in the year. Heck, wouldn't surprise me if Green was the source of those.

Do you recall an episode of all or nothing where Carson Palmer is practicing with David Johnson. Johnson is running routes and Palmer is calling him out and telling him what he's doing wrong and how to run the route how he wants.

Seems Kyler still isn't doing that. I don't think it's that Kyler doesn't know, more that he doesn't feel it's his job or he feels uncomfortable doing it.

Kliff let's him get away with far too much. They need to stop wrapping him in cotton wool and treat him like any other player.
Even worse! If he doesn't know, there's a chance he can learn. If he knows but can't feel bothered/isn't comfortable doing so, well, I don't see how that can be corrected.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I didn't read it that way at all. He said he didn't want to overwhelm him with input I suspect he meant we started off so hot there was no point doing so. And then as the season went on and things started to unravel, Kyler was dealing with so much I didn't want to pile on.

I didn't even remotely think he was saying Kyler lacks IQ I think he was saying we need more back and forth. Remember there were large segments of last year where the lineup was Conner, Ertz, Green, Moore, Wesley with Kirk being the only skill position guy who wasn't in his first year on the team.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I didn't read it that way at all. He said he didn't want to overwhelm him with input I suspect he meant we started off so hot there was no point doing so. And then as the season went on and things started to unravel, Kyler was dealing with so much I didn't want to pile on.

I didn't even remotely think he was saying Kyler lacks IQ I think he was saying we need more back and forth. Remember there were large segments of last year where the lineup was Conner, Ertz, Green, Moore, Wesley with Kirk being the only skill position guy who wasn't in his first year on the team.

AJ shouldn't have to pile on. He shouldn't have to instigate anything.

The fact that AJ felt that was missing is telling, because it should be Kyler instigating it. Your QB in practice should be coaching his WR's on how he want's routes run. Kyler should be fine tuning every wide receiver so the offense is perfect on every rep.

It's something every QB does, or should be doing.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

The fact that AJ felt that was missing is telling, because it should be Kyler instigating it. Your QB in practice should be coaching his WR's on how he want's routes run. Kyler should be fine tuning every wide receiver so the offense is perfect on every rep.

I agree with that, I don't agree with the idea this means Kyler lacks IQ. I've watched every game he played the last 3 years, its' QUITE common for him to be talking to the WR on the way back to the huddle about where he wanted him to go or what he wanted him to do. I saw him do that with AJ last year too. But what Green was saying, the way I read it, was I need more input it's still a new system to me Kyler and I were not on the same page, I need him to let me know what he's seeing and I'll let him know what I'm seeing.

To me it's communication not IQ he's talking about.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score

I agree with this. I also agree Kyler likely isn't comfortable with doing this to the degree he needs to or doesn't feel like it is his role. Both are a problem.

That said, people who are introverted like Kyler are able to do these things, it just normally drains their energy to do so. It can be easier for them the more comfortable they are with those they are communicating with. Problems that come with a person who is not a natural verbal communicator at a position that requires over-communication.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
It also speaks to the value of practice and using your practice time to get better at all the little things. If you've already done the communication work on the practice field, you shouldn't have to be discussing how you like someone to run their route in crunch time against the Packers. You can't rely on all 11 guys having a supernatural ability to anticipate what's happening.

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
How did everyone else on the offense know the play other than Green? Doesn't make sense. Not saying communication issues don't exist but that is more of an excuse on that particular play.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How did everyone else on the offense know the play other than Green? Doesn't make sense. Not saying communication issues don't exist but that is more of an excuse on that particular play.

The only way it could have happened is if Kyler gave Green a hand signal and accidentally signalled a run play but no indicaiton that happened.

Remember the Rams ending where everyone on the field knew we had to spike the ball, except Kyler? In the heat of the moment sometimes people forget. I think that's what happened in GB I think AJ just didn't know the play, running there made no sense we had no timeouts.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose