Somebody's Got To Say It ....... Archie Needs To Go!

Sun Devil Mania

Veteran
Reaction score
We all love Archie as the face of the Diamondbacks, but the fact is he sucks! He has for the last two years.
In modern day baseball you can't get away with being a one pitch pitcher! He has one pitch ..... a fastball that sits at 95/96 on the radar gun and it has no movement. Modern day players can just crush a fastball that they know is coming. Torey's insistence to continually put him in and leave him in the game is beyond me. It is not Torey's job to try to build up Archie's confidence, when you are actually putting your team at risk to lose a game. Torey's job is to do whatever it takes to win the game. We all knew what was coming after there were two men on base. I really hate to say it because he is such a great person, but you cannot keep putting him out there when the game is on the line! The old adage of continually doing the same thing and expecting different results, applies here! He may be able to get away with it once in awhile, but more times that not we will have a bad result. Just my opinion, but I would send him to the minors to develop another couple of pitches.

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The situation will take care of itself.. they know it's only a matter of time and see the same things we are seeing. Imo

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Archie has gone full Mark Wohlers. Send him down to AAA to see if he can work it out. Put Lopez into the 8th inning role in the meantime.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
The situation will take care of itself.. they know it's only a matter of time and see the same things we are seeing. Imo

I think it is past the time of Archie's situation taking care of itself. And management
certainly sees it . . . before us.

The problem is that they made Archie the face of the D-backs and they are most
probably trying to figure out how to handle the public relations side of it.

But, yes, in the meantime he should at least be demoted from the last three innings
of any game except a blowout. I agree that Yoan Lopez should replace him now.

It is, of course, disappointing for all of us. Archie is a personable, likable individual.

But he is paid, and occupies the spot, to pitch. And, as we've seen, with one straight
fastball as his repertoire, it has caught up with him.

Last edited:

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think it is past the time of Archie's situation taking care of itself. And management
certainly sees it . . . before us.

The problem is that they made Archie the face of the D-backs and they are most
probably trying to figure out how to handle the public relations side of it.

But, yes, in the meantime he should at least be demoted from the last three innings
of any game except a blowout. I agree that Yoan Lopez should replace him now.

It is, of course, disappointing for all of us. Archie is a personable, likable individual.

But he is paid, and occupies the spot, to pitch. And, as we've seen, with one straight
fastball as his repertoire, it has caught up with him.
Ehh... It's not about being the face of a franchise. If they were worried about that, they obviously wouldn't have traded Goldy. Imo. I personally think they are as dumbstruck as us right now.. he's a damn enigma. He will go be lights out one outing and then lay this turd the next. But his lack of control will control his destiny. You can tell he just tries to play hero ball and pump his fastball in there without regard to location.. he's just one of those guys..and it's going to be to his demise. Imo

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Remember when he thought he was going to be the closer? Thanks goodness we got Holland

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Remember when he thought he was going to be the closer? Thanks goodness we got Holland
I was thinking the same thing.

Holland just gave up his very first run of the season recently.
And still got the save.

Night and day!

And they are both fastball pitchers, but Archie is only a fast
ball pitcher.

TigToad

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I was thinking the same thing.

Holland just gave up his very first run of the season recently.
And still got the save.

Night and day!

And they are both fastball pitchers, but Archie is only a fast
ball pitcher.

I don't know, I think Holland is a slider pitcher first, who has a fastball.
And a curveball.

Edit: Read this, it was fun. http://www.brooksbaseball.net/landing.php?player=518813

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I don't know, I think Holland is a slider pitcher first, who has a fastball.
And a curveball.

Edit: Read this, it was fun. http://www.brooksbaseball.net/landing.php?player=518813
I was going by Steve and BB emphasizing his fast ball.

The article seemed to put the fast ball and slider both at the top, but stating fast ball first.

In 2019, he has relied primarily on his Fourseam Fastball (92mph) and Slider (85mph), also mixing in a Curve (78mph).

But, you're right. Unlike Archie, Holland has two pitches neck and neck. And, unlike Holland,
Archie's curve is not worthy of a closer's #2 or even #3 pitch.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Bradley’s WHIP is now at a frightening 1.86, the worst on the team and the 17th-highest in all of baseball across the 196 qualified relievers.

For comparison, Bradley has thrown 14.0 innings, and last year, left-hander Jake Diekman had a similar 1.81 WHIP in 14.1 innings
arizonasports.com/story/1932850/diamondbacks-modifying-archie-bradleys-role-out-of-bullpen/

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
arizonasports.com/story/1932850/diamondbacks-modifying-archie-bradleys-role-out-of-bullpen/

He just gave up 5 runs and no outs early in the season. But yeah, he sucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Archie has pitched poorly all season. Actually since All-Star break last season, he has been well below average.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Dave Burns on 98.7 today said "If the Dbacks are going to get where they want to go they must have Archie."

Since when does the (ex) 8th inning guy's production get any team where they want to go?

Baffling

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Dave Burns on 98.7 today said "If the Dbacks are going to get where they want to go they must have Archie."

Since when does the (ex) 8th inning guy's production get any team where they want to go?

Baffling

Or to put it another way . . . they must replace Archie and Yoshi as our 7th and 8th inning relievers.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Dave Burns on 98.7 today said "If the Dbacks are going to get where they want to go they must have a bullpen."

Baffling

Fixed it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
S

Sun Devil Mania

Veteran
Reaction score
Message to Torey ....... You cannot continue to do this to your team and expect different results! Send him down to the minor leagues in hopes of teaching him how to pitch in order to salvage his career!

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Message to Torey ....... You cannot continue to do this to your team and expect different results! Send him down to the minor leagues in hopes of teaching him how to pitch in order to salvage his career!

Torey is loyal to his players to a fault. Always has been.

Reaction score
When are the big wigs with the DBacks going to pay attention to what happens *almost* every time Bradley pitches- esp in a close game??

Tonight is another example- Bradley allowed 2 runs - as he often does- and guess what? We lost by 2 runs.

When will they wake up and NOT use him?? Listen to the fans if nothing else.

Hirono didn’t help either tonight.

I keep speculating that Bradley must have something in his contract requiring him to play a certain number of innings or in a certain number of situations- or he has blackmail photos on someone!!

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
When are the big wigs with the DBacks going to pay attention to what happens *almost* every time Bradley pitches- esp in a close game??

Tonight is another example- Bradley allowed 2 runs - as he often does- and guess what? We lost by 2 runs.

When will they wake up and NOT use him?? Listen to the fans if nothing else.

Hirono didn’t help either tonight.

I keep speculating that Bradley must have something in his contract requiring him to play a certain number of innings or in a certain number of situations- or he has blackmail photos on someone!!

I agree that it is time to do something else with Archie. But the bolded part reminds me of a Tommy Lasorda quote "Listen, if you start worrying about the people in the stands, before too long you're up in the stands with them".

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave