Some quick notes from Red/White Practice

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I would argue that while there is limited sample size, the sample size we do have points to greatness.

It's like DJ Humphries said, this kid had been cool since he was 4 years old. His dad said when he was 5 years old he would get him to go outside to throw the football. Few QBs can say they have have an expert QB coach working with them since they were a small child.

The guy has lost THREE football games in his life. Three. At all levels. But as others have pointed out, his extensive baseball background will prepare him for failure, since you fail at baseball more than any other sport.

I'm not going to make a big deal about his preseason performance because he met my minimum expectations. He can play a lot better than he did. When he avoided that sack, few players can do what he did, the way he moved. Hes special.

IMO all this talk about faster defenders points to one thing: teams are going to need faster, more mobile QBs to deal with them. Watson, Mahomes, Wilson, Newton, Jackson...this is the way of the future. It's not running QBs...its mobile QBs...the ones who run too much are going to hurt their team in the long run.

:biglaugh:

Should've known! 1 preseason game and "the sample size points to greatness."

In all seriousness, Krang, I love how you post. If everyone agreed here I'd choke on sunshine and daisies. We need something to banter about.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
:biglaugh:

Should've known! 1 preseason game and "the sample size points to greatness."

In all seriousness, Krang, I love how you post. If everyone agreed here I'd choke on sunshine and daisies. We need something to banter about.

Reading comprehension fail.

I'm talking about the breadth of his career so far.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Sumlin sucked, fine, bad program, fine. But the way people talk about Kyler is like he hit four years of NCAA eligibility, won the job as a true freshman, and sauntered out with only three losses on his belt.

The truth is, he didn't win the job against another true freshman, he got jerked around by a bad program, left, and then rode the pine. Do I blame him for not taking Baker Mayfield's job? Not at all. Was he this revolutionary truth all the way through the four years of school that he did? Not at all.

He is a kid with an incredible year of Heisman winning football. His seven throws in the preseason looked great. Man, I'd love for that to continue.

Do I think the offensive line is going to look that bad in the regular season? Absolutely. Pugh is hurt, Gilbert is hurt, Humphries is iffy, Shipley is obviously going to be the starter and is coming off a major injury, and that makes JR Sweezy our most reliable lineman that has actually been practicing comfortably at his position. Do you think it's going to be better? They got crushed out there and Joey Bosa wasn't even on the field.

Again, you show you dont understand. Kyle Allen was a sophomore.

He transferred to OU because it was well understood at the time that Baker Mayfield had one more year of eligibility at the time but the NCAA changed a rule and he got two. I'm explaining this because you are apparently ignorant on what happened.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Dude. We're going way too far with this. You loved Kyler, you still love Kyler, even more now, we're good.

You deserve to be happy we got the guy you like, and happy he looks good. I made a single comment that was basically meant to say you loved him from the start. That's awesome, and all we have to say on the matter. We've wasted too many words.

You know how wrong you are going to look 3 years from now? It's so freaking obvious that the Cardinals got a GREAT player but you are whining about it.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Again, you show you dont understand. Kyle Allen was a sophomore.

He transferred to OU because it was well understood at the time that Baker Mayfield had one more year of eligibility at the time but the NCAA changed a rule and he got two. I'm explaining this because you are apparently ignorant on what happened.
Sorry, I missed slightly on Kyle Allen. Was it his first year with a shot at the starting gig? Did Kyler have an opportunity to be the starter if he was really that amazing?

Baker Mayfield's status doesn't matter. Kyler didn't play. Kyler isn't a surefire perfect prospect.

You know how wrong you are going to look 3 years from now? It's so ******* obvious that the Cardinals got a GREAT player but you are whining about it.
Wahoo man, enjoy the ride when like every rookie, he takes his bumps. Nothing is obvious, and I honestly feel like you're basically trolling.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Sorry, I missed slightly on Kyle Allen. Was it his first year with a shot at the starting gig? Did Kyler have an opportunity to be the starter if he was really that amazing?

Baker Mayfield's status doesn't matter. Kyler didn't play. Kyler isn't a surefire perfect prospect.

Wahoo man, enjoy the ride when like every rookie, he takes his bumps. Nothing is obvious, and I honestly feel like you're basically trolling.
The hell it doesn't...

Mayfield was coming off of an exceptional junior season and easily could have entered the draft after that year. Instead he decided to return for a senior year of college. No honorable coach is gonna screw over Baker in that situation and not have him as the starter in his senior year, even if there is a Junior on the roster who is slightly better.

By the way I am not arguing that Kyler outperformed Mayfield in practice, but am simply pointing that even if he did Baker is still almost certainly going to get that starting job. Baker showed loyalty by sticking around for another year instead of entering the draft and OU would have been directly screwing with his future if they benched him in that situation.

Ultimately even if Kyler didn't play better than Baker in practice that isn't exactly a knock on him as Mayfield was a great college QB, went #1 in a loaded QB draft and had an exceptional rookie season. Not the worst guy to be unable to beat out for the starting job in college.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Man, I never seen a guy that just makes it his job to rain on everyone’s parade when trying to look for bright spots & positives for a player. You can have a believable expectation, but Solar will be sure to shoot it down, lol. Not even the critics like K9 or TJ been like this.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
The hell it doesn't...

Mayfield was coming off of an exceptional junior season and easily could have entered the draft after that year. Instead he decided to return for a senior year of college. No honorable coach is gonna screw over Baker in that situation and not have him as the starter in his senior year, even if there is a Junior on the roster who is slightly better.

By the way I am not arguing that Kyler outperformed Mayfield in practice, but am simply pointing that even if he did Baker is still almost certainly going to get that starting job. Baker showed loyalty by sticking around for another year instead of entering the draft and OU would have been directly screwing with his future if they benched him in that situation.

Ultimately even if Kyler didn't play better than Baker in practice that isn't exactly a knock on him as Mayfield was a great college QB, went #1 in a loaded QB draft and had an exceptional rookie season. Not the worst guy to be unable to beat out for the starting job in college.
Mayfield's status doesn't matter for the sake of the discussion. If you take the entire thread into context, instead of just one post, I already said I don't blame him for not taking the job there. But no matter how you slice it, it prevented him from playing, and prevented him from having an opportunity to show if he is just a three loss player in his career with more games under his belt. I'm undefeated in college football because I never played. Kyler had about 15 college games. It's a very tiny sample size.

Man, I never seen a guy that just makes it his job to rain on everyone’s parade when trying to look for bright spots & positives for a player. You can have a believable expectation, but Solar will be sure to shoot it down, lol. Not even the critics like K9 or TJ been like this.
I have an entire thread dedicated to saying good things about Kyler's performance from this past game, and it immediately got derailed for not going 100% all in.

I'm not raining on anyone's parade, but there's a huge difference between being excited and the guaranteed, surefire success that many of you guys are proclaiming. Stuff like Kyler answering all of the questions about him Thursday night, thinking we hit the lottery, etc. We are 7 passes into his career on a drive that ended in a punt. We are a bad team losing players left and right already. There's so much adversity this kid is going to go through any minute now, and by the end of September, he's likely to have doubled his career loss total whether it's his fault or not.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
The hell it doesn't...

Really nice post.

I'll add that Lincoln Riley's faith in Mayfield looks good in hindsight, since Mayfield went on to win the 2017 Heisman, and lead OK to the CFP, nearly beating GA in the semifinal.

Maybe I sound like a broken record, but dammit, Mayfield's going to be a superstar too. Where he bests Murray, and a million other QBs, is an absolutely indomitable will to win. You better not get between him, and whatever that kid wants, because you're putting yourself in danger.

Last edited:

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
I was raised in upstate NY & now live in central PA. So, I had no heartstrings attached to K1 or OU football. I actually tuned in to OU football to watch Murray because it nauseated me to hear the announcers say he may even be better than Mayfield. See, I love watching Mayfield. So, if anything, I was anti-Murray last year at this time. I’ve watched football for a long time, and Murray changed my opinion of him very quickly. Call me a believer, but I’m not a hometown homer either. And there’s nothing wrong with that. I just made my projections based on my head & not my heart.

Cool. Always interesting to hear some of the back story about how each of us got to this point. Appreciate it.

And agree about Mayfield. The kid loves to play the game so much. You add that to the ton of talent he possesses, throw in a little showmanship, a little razzle dazzle, and he's worth the price of admission just by himself.

iLLmatiC

Drive-by Poster
Reaction score
Mayfield's status doesn't matter for the sake of the discussion. If you take the entire thread into context, instead of just one post, I already said I don't blame him for not taking the job there. But no matter how you slice it, it prevented him from playing, and prevented him from having an opportunity to show if he is just a three loss player in his career with more games under his belt. I'm undefeated in college football because I never played. Kyler had about 15 college games. It's a very tiny sample size.

I have an entire thread dedicated to saying good things about Kyler's performance from this past game, and it immediately got derailed for not going 100% all in.

I'm not raining on anyone's parade, but there's a huge difference between being excited and the guaranteed, surefire success that many of you guys are proclaiming. Stuff like Kyler answering all of the questions about him Thursday night, thinking we hit the lottery, etc. We are 7 passes into his career on a drive that ended in a punt. We are a bad team losing players left and right already. There's so much adversity this kid is going to go through any minute now, and by the end of September, he's likely to have doubled his career loss total whether it's his fault or not.

You'll say something positive but always have a but at end. You're hovering in ignore territory.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
You'll say something positive but always have a but at end. You're hovering in ignore territory.
I’ll be out of town and mostly away from a computer for a good chunk of the next week and a half on Tuesday. Hopefully there’s nothing but good to say, and I hope you or others don’t put me on ignore.

I want to see the guy win. I also don’t want to piss anyone off too much. I know I keep pushing the envelope for some.

Let’s go get some wins, and I’ll leave it on a positive note. Drafted him again in my third league tonight.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I’ll be out of town and mostly away from a computer for a good chunk of the next week and a half on Tuesday. Hopefully there’s nothing but good to say, and I hope you or others don’t put me on ignore.

I want to see the guy win. I also don’t want to piss anyone off too much. I know I keep pushing the envelope for some.

Let’s go get some wins, and I’ll leave it on a positive note. Drafted him again in my third league tonight.

Piss people off solar...anyone who has lived knows its better to be pissed off than pissed on.
Life is too short to tip toe around the weak.

I happen to agree with you mostly...thats why i havent been around the past couple months...

Remember our debates from last year??? Turns out it was the first pick and we did spend it on a qb

I would rather we had traded it last year and drafted Darnold.

But this kid has shown some talent....has me wondering how long until coach k lets him try a pass over the middle though

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Piss people off solar...anyone who has lived knows its better to be pissed off than pissed on.
Life is too short to tip toe around the weak.

I happen to agree with you mostly...thats why i havent been around the past couple months...

Remember our debates from last year??? Turns out it was the first pick and we did spend it on a qb

I would rather we had traded it last year and drafted Darnold.

But this kid has shown some talent....has me wondering how long until coach k lets him try a pass over the middle though
Man, that seems so long ago. Right now I miss those days, haha.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Man, that seems so long ago. Right now I miss those days, haha.
I’ve disagreed with you many times . For the most part you have been respectful. I would not ignore you and I wouldn’t worry about anybody ignoring you. See, it’s one of my goals in life to help you up on the Kyler Bandwagon! Lol!

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

Just be positive solar 7. You mentioned something about by the end of September about KM? Well, I will see him play on the last Sunday of September, my gf & I are flying out for that game against the "Shehawks", I started a thread about it last night. I hope he's playing well at that time? The whole season. I know we have obvious holes on our team, but it's like this with me. Our offense is gonna be something the NFL hasn't seen when we start playing the games for real & the playbook is opened up. As long as we can score points, we have a chance. I'm more worried about our DL right now than I am the OL. Hopefully SK can get us a big bodied NT after cuts are made, that was released because of money or age, that will eat up 2 blockers & allow JH to make plays? I'm obviously being very optimistic but because of our potential on offense I believe we can hang with some teams this season. Stay positive brother.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Cool. Always interesting to hear some of the back story about how each of us got to this point. Appreciate it.

And agree about Mayfield. The kid loves to play the game so much. You add that to the ton of talent he possesses, throw in a little showmanship, a little razzle dazzle, and he's worth the price of admission just by himself.
Also worth the price of admission - feeling like he’s an entitled jackass and rooting against him!

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
Also worth the price of admission - feeling like he’s an entitled jackass and rooting against him!

Pfft. Funny.

Good thing we'll have PP21 back in time for the Browns game, so our defense will have a puncher's chance against Baker.

It's late in the season, and the Browns will probably be fighting for a playoff spot. Another chance for Mayfield to punish Kingsbury too. He's going to try to light us up.

But I hope he throws three picks, one to Peterson for six the other way, and that we send the Brownies back to CLE with their tails between their legs.

Last edited:

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Pfft. Funny.

Good thing we'll have PP21 back in time for the Browns game, so our defense will have a puncher's chance against Baker.

It's late in the season, and the Browns will probably be fighting for a playoff spot. Another chance Mayfield to punish Kingsbury too. He's going to try to light us up.

But I hope he throws three picks, one to Peterson for six the other way, and that we send the Brownies back to CLE with their tails between their legs.

Mayfield is a bit a douchy.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Pfft. Funny.

It's late in the season, and the Browns will probably be fighting for a playoff spot. Another chance Mayfield to punish Kingsbury too. He's going to try to light us up.

I have a good friend that's a huge Browns fan, he wants to go watch the game at a sports bar here in Louisville with me, only because he thinks the Browns will be good & beat us. If the situation was reversed he wouldn't go to watch it with me for nothing lol.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave