Some quick notes from Red/White Practice

Jake6233

All Star
Reaction score
I to base everything about this team on a scrimmage even before the preseason begins. Might as well sell the season tickets. :)

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
No. Despite what you think, I have no interest in watching 16 games of bad football, but I'll be there to watch come rain or shine.

I just don't need in-depth analysis of footwork, strength, or scheme to be told that a team whose key offseason acquisitions were Sweezy and Gilbert looked bad up front.

Gilbert is an above average tackle. Yes he is injury prone, but criticizing his acquistion is ridiculous - you really think a 6th round olineman would be better?

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
Thoughts from a "Glass is half full" poster. I read that the OL lined up in wider spacing than usual, with the guess that it would not be the case when going up against Aaron Donald.

We were (and will be in the PS) pretty vanilla. Hence, no four WR sets.

Hundley was signed because he was more of a fit for the KK offense. We'll see how he does in the PS, even if we don't see the KK offense.

Of course it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to worry about the backup QB, as our season depends upon KM. If he goes down, the season's over.

The crowd looked pretty good, especially considering that most experts have us tagged to finish near the bottom of the NFL. I'm sure nine out of ten were there to see KM. And I don't think that they were disappointed.

Reading between the lines of K9's post were the lack of criticism of KM. I was expecting at least one of the haters to throw in a "he's too short to play QB" barb.

I'll end by saying that the OL will probably keep us from being VG this year, but if KM is as good as advertised, I think we're on our way to righting the ship. And next offseason, hopefully we'll fix the OL.

I think this will be the norm so they can give Murray more windows to see through because he's not going to be able to see over them. This is similar to what they did at Oklahoma. Oklahoma also kept a TE and a RB in to block most of the time to help out.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
  • Smaller crowd than last year with Wilks?
  • Marcus Gilbert leads the O into the field
  • Murray extremely swaggy. Only Card not wearing uniform pants in warmups
  • Very high tempo practice except for the OL. Have concerns about conditioning for that group.
  • QBs spent 5 minutes practicing RPOs
  • Murray will fumble. Holds the ball like a loaf of bread.
  • OL is extremely bad and the reason we’ll be bad this year.
  • Cards haven’t had a worse #2 QB in a long time than Hundley.
My thoughts on the way back to the car once the scrubs came is were that the offensive line is so bad we’re going to wonder what Murray might really be capable of. It could likely cost Steve Keim his job, because this pedestrian group of interior rushers got though constantly during 11 on 11. With a couple injuries on the OL, Kyler could be looking back to his baseball career more fondly.

Isabella was out and I didn’t see Kirk playing with the ones, but this offense didn’t look or feel all that fast. Defense looks about league average, with the secondary a strength.This was probably a 6 win team last year with a drag of awful coaching; its probably still another year away from being competitive.

It was shocking how bad that OL looked.

No surprise here, been saying this for some time now.

OP
OP
kerouac9

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
No batted balls that I can tell yesterday.

Murray’s decision-making and release are so quick that guys done really have time to get their hands up.

Now, will that change once Murray has a three-INT half and he’s not sure about the defense that he’s seeing and starts double-clutching on some throws? We’ll see.

OP
OP
kerouac9

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Last year I dubbed the OL the Eggshell Line. This year is not substantially different in that regard. However they may be more skillful. That said, I don’t think they will play aggressively until the real games start. Right now my guess is they’re focused on making it there in one piece.
IMO, they should be focused on how they’re going to play 100 offensive snaps a game. That’s not what I saw from the group yesterday afternoon.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
And, remember that while SK did draft Josh Rosen, he corrected his mistake in a timely manner.
Oh, come on. He hasn't "corrected" a single thing, and wasted an entire freaking draft outside of Christian Kirk.

Thanks to Keim for his hard work through the organization, and I hope he gets his poo together, but he needs a miracle to not be let go.

Reactions: PJ1
Reaction score
Oh, come on. He hasn't "corrected" a single thing, and wasted an entire freaking draft outside of Christian Kirk.

Thanks to Keim for his hard work through the organization, and I hope he gets his **** together, but he needs a miracle to not be let go.

Huh? Cole, Edmonds, & Cunningham are looking like good picks to me.

Last edited:

FB94

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Keim has at least two years with this experiment, maybe 3. Unless this year is 10x worse than the Wilkes mess, and that is very hard to imagine,Keim isn’t going anywhere. Drafting Murray assures that and he gets one more chance at a rebuild.

blindseyed

I'm saying you ARE stuck in Wichita
Reaction score
IMO, they should be focused on how they’re going to play 100 offensive snaps a game. That’s not what I saw from the group yesterday afternoon.
This is something I think is being over looked and glad you said it, I hear people say KM will make the OL look better and he probably will but for how long? A fast paced Offense is going to be tough on the O-line and, let's face it, the OL hasn't been good for..what....276 years? Lol

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Huh? Cole, Edmonds, & Cunningham are looking like good picks to me.
Cole is looking unlikely to be a starter at the moment. Unless something goes horribly wrong here, Edmonds will be the backup RB for the duration of his career. Cunningham is in nothing even slightly resembling a competition to be a starter... and if he's genuinely the guy we roll out there at some point in the next years of his rookie contract, we have major OL problems.

We might get some minor production out of these players, but they're not starters, and certainly not stars on the rise.

OP
OP
kerouac9

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
And, remember that while SK did draft Josh Rosen, he corrected his mistake in a timely manner.

I think it’s too early to say drafting Rosen was a mistake. I have zero doubt that if Murray had decided to play baseball, Rosen would be our QB right now and all the Rosen haters would be singing a very different song.

There were like two guys on this board who were saying Rosen sucks before, like, March 1.

Keim has at least two years with this experiment, maybe 3. Unless this year is 10x worse than the Wilkes mess, and that is very hard to imagine,Keim isn’t going anywhere. Drafting Murray assures that and he gets one more chance at a rebuild.

Well, we’ve found Keim’s mom’s burner. If Murray gets sacked 50 times and David Johnson averages 4.1 ypc, Keim is getting offed.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score

i think this is right

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I think it’s too early to say drafting Rosen was a mistake. I have zero doubt that if Murray had decided to play baseball, Rosen would be our QB right now and all the Rosen haters would be singing a very different song.

There were like two guys on this board who were saying Rosen sucks before, like, March 1.
Not only that, but probably zero who thought drafting Kyler Murray was an interesting option at #1.

Maybe around the time he was considering playing football at all, we may have heard something from @CrimsonWarrior, but still.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
For what it's worth, I bopped around the www for corroboration of K-9's somewhat gloomy take.

While things weren't all Kool-aid, the comments, in general, weren't nearly so negative.

What I'll be looking for Thursday is how close the commentary on this board (especially about the OL) translates to game-time performance.

OP
OP
kerouac9

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Not only that, but probably zero who thought drafting Kyler Murray was an interesting option at #1.

Maybe around the time he was considering playing football at all, we may have heard something from @CrimsonWarrior, but still.

This doesn’t matter as much to me. Murray was an unexpected entrant into the draft, and I don’t blame anyone for coming late to him. People seemed to get enamoured pretty quickly once they started looking.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
This doesn’t matter as much to me. Murray was an unexpected entrant into the draft, and I don’t blame anyone for coming late to him. People seemed to get enamoured pretty quickly once they started looking.
I'm bothered by the meteoric rise from 'worth a pick' to #1 overall, but he looks good by most accounts, so I don't currently have any real complaining to do.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Just as a player, what were/are your thoughts on him? I’m really interested.

StreetTruckinTitan

You talkin' to me?
Reaction score
I was at the practice yesterday and I came away with nothing other than just another practice. They showed nothing and i expected to see nothing. When the regular season starts then Id expect to see the real offense and line formations to protect KM. No need to start worrying over a practice.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson