OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just not having to integrate Mark Hamel is like having a 50m lead to start a 100m race.

Bingo. The sequels are hamstrung by having to use the actors from the original trilogy all of these years later. Ideally, these sequels would have been made years ago when the primary actors were all much younger.

Solo, is hamstrung by not being able to do much with Solo's character because he needs to be the out-for-himself smuggler we first met in Mos Eisley.

Rogue One was much easier. It just had to fit into the overall story, but had freedom to do what it wanted with characters because most did not continue on into other films.

I think the biggest mistake in making the sequels is not having a planned trilogy from the beginning with a clear story from 7 to 9. One director with a thought out story line would have given us a solid trilogy rather than two very different films (so far) directed by very different individuals. Now we are going back to the "safe" director that made TFA. This will never feel like a true trilogy even if he steps in and tries to wrap everything up with a nice bow.

I am looking forward to future SW films like the completely different/fresh planned trilogy with RJ as the director, or the Obi-Wan and Fett films, where directors will be free to do much more in the SW universe.

As I've said before, it is too bad Disney just simply kicked all of the previous EU canon to the curb instead of picking and choosing. Some great stuff was there and then it was just gone.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Probably won't admit it, but that is almost certainly the case.

Yeah... there's no way the reception for the last two movies have at least a little to do with it.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Bingo. The sequels are hamstrung by having to use the actors from the original trilogy all of these years later. Ideally, these sequels would have been made years ago when the primary actors were all much younger.

Solo, is hamstrung by not being able to do much with Solo's character because he needs to be the out-for-himself smuggler we first met in Mos Eisley.

Rogue One was much easier. It just had to fit into the overall story, but had freedom to do what it wanted with characters because most did not continue on into other films.

I think the biggest mistake in making the sequels is not having a planned trilogy from the beginning with a clear story from 7 to 9. One director with a thought out story line would have given us a solid trilogy rather than two very different films (so far) directed by very different individuals. Now we are going back to the "safe" director that made TFA. This will never feel like a true trilogy even if he steps in and tries to wrap everything up with a nice bow.

I am looking forward to future SW films like the completely different/fresh planned trilogy with RJ as the director, or the Obi-Wan and Fett films, where directors will be free to do much more in the SW universe.

As I've said before, it is too bad Disney just simply kicked all of the previous EU canon to the curb instead of picking and choosing. Some great stuff was there and then it was just gone.

I cannot agree more with almost all of this. The only caveat is I'm no longer looking forward to Star Wars movies.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
they've ceased to be events at this point.
Even Marvel jumped the shark a little for me with Ultron. I still see them all opening weekend but I’ve lost some of my enthusiasm for it all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Even Marvel jumped the shark a little for me with Ultron. I still see them all opening weekend but I’ve lost some of my enthusiasm for it all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think Infinity War 2 will be the pinnacle of anticipation for the MCU.

BillsCarnage

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I knew from the first question in that quiz who I was going to be... the man, the myth, the legend... BOOGER!
Dudley Dawson.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Not much to add about this movie that hasn't already been said. I guess it was a good sci-fi space flick, but sure as heck didn't feel like SW.

The cast didn't do anything for me - square peg, round hole or something. Even Glover didn't seem to work as Lando. Lando was just a cool cat and Billy D didn't need to act cool because he was. It felt like Glover was trying to be a too cool Lando.

For this story, they should have dumped about 2/3 of the it and then have most of the story revolve around Han and Chewie meeting Jabba on Tattooine to take his job along with introducing Boba and why he was after Solo. That might have added more desire for a Fett story.

And, Han speaking wookie?!?!?! We all know how dumb it sounds when we try it and to actually insert it into the 'dialog'... huge eye roll.

Last edited:

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Finally watched this(it's on Netflix) and sorry to say it was awful. As was said, the actors didn't work. Shoehorned in it seemed. Woody Harrelson? Really? The guy seems to be showing up everywhere(Planet of the Apes, Hunger Games, Venom(soon to be Carnage as he played Kletus Casady), and now this?). Don't get me wrong, I love Woody and feel he's a grossly underrated actor but he seemed out of place in this. And, yes, the guy playing Lando wasn't Lando. And while I like looking at Emilia Clarke(strange seeing her not a blonde but GOT is just around the corner), her character just didn't seem to fit the Han character. And don't get me started how he got the Solo name. I mean, really? And the Han Solo character was nothing like Han, not in the least little bit. It's watchable but not a real good movie. In fact, since firing up the franchise, none of them have been that good.

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Better than TFA and the laughably bad TLJ in my opinion...but the young actor as Han didn't work for me. Probably didn't work for many moviegoers. Tough casting task in their defense.

I was entertained and liked most of the film. Could have been much worse. My expectations for new Star Wars have dropped significantly since TFA.

Rogue One was good enough to find its way into my movie collection. More of that please.

I think one of the things they get so wrong in these new films is the humor. It's corny and childish...and they feed it far too often. The humor in the original trilogy was much more subtle, and slightly more adult. Semi-mature humor for the most part which worked for both the young and old IMO.

Cardinals.Ken

That's Mr. Riff-Raff to you!
Reaction score
This, and Rogue One, have been the best of the Disney Star Wars offerings. Force Awakens and Last Jedi sucked my right and left testicle (respectively).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA