Social Issues and the NFL P&R Light

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
gay people were only given the right to employment without discrimination THIS year. They only got the right to marry 5 years ago. Change happens. Slowly but surely. The only way it doesn't is people trying to stop it or saying it's impossible... like @tnmike .

I'd like to think tnmike will join as once he has a chance to digest it. I know I did at one time in my life.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd like to think tnmike will join as once he has a chance to digest it. I know I did at one time in my life.

Mainstreet, do you remember how that change happened? I’m always curious when anyone has a bit of an awakening and why. Sometimes it’s because an issue will finally hit home for people personally or they do something themselves that awakens them to their own issues.

tnmike

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
How about I start with Qualified Immunity and you can tell me why that law doesn't need to be changed?
let's define what qualified means. It means that not everyone will qualify for immunity. The court system will decide who qualifies and who doesn't. Just because you are a cop it doesn't mean you can't be held responsible for your actions if they are deemed to be illegal. It also means that a mob can't be judge, jury , and executioner and lynch you. There has to be due process . So no it probably has portions that need to be amended but not dropped. The 1st thing I was taught in law school was , " What would a reasonable person do ?"

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mainstreet, do you remember how that change happened? I’m always curious when anyone has a bit of an awakening and why. Sometimes it’s because an issue will finally hit home for people personally or they do something themselves that awakens them to their own issues.

It's a learning process and people have to be willing to change.

I was never knowingly racist or discriminatory but I grew up in a part of the country that was very racist and this type of behavior was the norm. The key word here is "knowingly." I grew up thinking certain behavior was normal not knowing it was racist. Some people are flat out born into it. I could relate to the parents of Steve Nash wanting him not to grow up in South Africa.

When I moved to Arizona, I was still young. Since the environment changed, there were not a lot of triggers to let me know my thinking was distorted. It really wasn't until I attended a black studies class at Arizona State did I start to realize I had a lot of things wrong. I learned that a lot of my thoughts were discriminatory without even knowing it because that's how I grew up. The key thing, I wanted the knowledge and was willing to act on it.

IMO, a lot of people who are racist or discriminate do not even know it. A lot of it is passed down from one generation to another. There may not even be much of a thought process to it unless one questions their thinking. It's always critical for a person to examine why they think the way they do.

Some people do embrace racism. Those are the ones that may never change. However, it's always worth the effort to give it a try.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
let's define what qualified means. It means that not everyone will qualify for immunity. The court system will decide who qualifies and who doesn't. Just because you are a cop it doesn't mean you can't be held responsible for your actions if they are deemed to be illegal. It also means that a mob can't be judge, jury , and executioner and lynch you. There has to be due process . So no it probably has portions that need to be amended but not dropped. The 1st thing I was taught in law school was , " What would a reasonable person do ?"

It is clear from this post that you either have no idea what Qualified Immunity is, or you are purposefully being obtuse.

New Mexico

Fan since 1976ish
Reaction score
It is clear from this post that you either have no idea what Qualified Immunity is, or you are purposefully being obtuse.

Actually, he pretty much got it right. Without getting too far into the weeds, qualified immunity means that a police officer cannot be sued in civil court unless it's shown that the officer clearly violated the plaintiff's statutory or constitutional rights. I think that's pretty much what he said.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose