So ready for VR gaming

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
That's the first thing I thought of when I looked at them and noticed they are all corded.

If I wait a year or two my system will probably be obsolete lol

A month or two may be possible, We'll see. I am going to go try out the VR gaming at octane raceway by next weekend just to make sure I like it enough.

Thx for input, I had heard similar about the vive. My area will only be about 8x8 too.

It's game by game basis. You don't need 8x8 for every game, it just has that option for developers to utilize... and even then, some games might use the full amount, and others utilize less maybe 4x4 or something.

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's game by game basis. You don't need 8x8 for every game, it just has that option for developers to utilize.

I just noticed viva is 5x5 out of box, 15x15 with added sensor. So I figure I just don't add the other sensor.

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I just noticed viva is 5x5 out of box, 15x15 with added sensor. So I figure I just don't add the other sensor.

Not sure, but worth a try. In any case, many VR games don't need much or any space to really play. Tons of games can be used simply with a regular controller, or simply hand/arm/wrist movements with those controllers from a seated position.

Oh also, certain games might give you motion sickness. Lower framerates can aggravate this.

But not all games are going to give you motion sickness. Mostly those where you are moving around or flying. Many games are slower paced or you don't move around really at all. So if in trying out VR you get motion sickness, there are plenty of games that won't do this.

Also many people can build up a tolerance to it by doing shorter spurts, and often enough for your brain to get more used to it.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure, but worth a try. In any case, many VR games don't need much or any space to really play. Tons of games can be used simply with a regular controller, or simply hand/arm/wrist movements with those controllers from a seated position.

Oh also, certain games might give you motion sickness. Lower framerates can aggravate this.

But not all games are going to give you motion sickness. Mostly those where you are moving around or flying. Many games are slower paced or you don't move around really at all. So if in trying out VR you get motion sickness, there are plenty of games that won't do this.

Also many people can build up a tolerance to it by doing shorter spurts, and often enough for your brain to get more used to it.

Very true. Games like Project Cars really start to make me queasy, only after a race or two.

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
are there many free/cheap games to try it out or do you have to dive in to expensive titles?

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
are there many free/cheap games to try it out or do you have to dive in to expensive titles?

Most VR games are sub $20 in my experience. They have some that go for as much as a full retail regular game. Most of those aren't worth it though.

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I honestly can't believe they thought there would be a big market for an upgraded set that isn't wireless. I'm not buying one until it is.

Not only that, $900 without sensors and etc. holy crap.

Going with some friends to octane raceways VR zombie game Thursday night. Looks pretty cool.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I honestly can't believe they thought there would be a big market for an upgraded set that isn't wireless. I'm not buying one until it is.

My biggest issue with wireless is the battery life. Nobody wants to strap on a VR unit and it be dead in 2 hours. All the units need a major upgrade to the resolution. With that will come major power requirements. If the battery units is too big the VR unit becomes heavy. Hopefully, in a new version soon they use high quality battery/recharge design with the option to plug in the power chord when the unit is running low.

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My biggest issue with wireless is the battery life. Nobody wants to strap on a VR unit and it be dead in 2 hours. All the units need a major upgrade to the resolution. With that will come major power requirements. If the battery units is too big the VR unit becomes heavy. Hopefully, in a new version soon they use high quality battery/recharge design with the option to plug in the power chord when the unit is running low.
You could also have a cord go down to a belt strapped mechanism that way you could have a big battery without making it uncomfortable.

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score

As the first wireless adapter, the only thing this accessory needs to do is work consistently and prove that it's possible to lose the cable. And for the most part, it does exactly that. Having used the TPCast adapter on my own Vive for a couple of months now, there's very little difference in framerate between wired and wireless and there's no perceivable lag when playing any of my SteamVR games.

Where the TPCast adapter shows its largest limitation is on the fringes of the display itself. The adapter struggles to fill your Vive display with the whole image, so you get these faint green lines on the outer edges of the display. Some users found you can avoid seeing these lines by extending the headset so the lenses are farther from your eyes, but doing so only replaces the green lines with more of the dark space from the headset. Either way, it's a noticeably less immersive experience.

This accessory also requires a considerable amount of hardware to set up and use. It comes with its own router to set up in your VR room, separate from the transmitter and receiver you have to install and position so there's always line-of-sight between the two. If you want wireless VR right now, this will absolutely get the job done, but it's clear there are less complicated and higher quality options coming later this year.

https://www.windowscentral.com/wireless-vr-accessories-which-should-i-buy

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
HTC and Intel have teamed up to make a wireless adapter for the Vive and Vive Pro built on WiGig tech, making it far less likely to be impacted by local interference or wireless spectrum congestion. Intel promises WiGig will be a more stable platform for the amount of data being sent through the Vive or Vive Pro, and based on our initial experiences with the adapter those seem like accurate descriptions of the experiences being offered.

The Vive wireless adapter is also much smaller than the other wireless VR accessories for the Vive, though like the current-generation TPCast model also relies on a battery worn at the waist to better distribute weight and provide power. This currently seems like the best all-around option for the HTC Vive or Vive Pro, but HTC has announced this accessory won't be shipping until Q3 of this year.